Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which next gen console do you plan on buying? [POLL] Watch

• View Poll Results: Which next gen console do you intend to buy?
    Gamestick
    0%
    Ouya
    0.75%
    Nintendo Wii U
    3.76%
    Playstation 4
    45.11%
    Xbox (720/Durango)
    21.05%
    Other/None
    29.32%

ReputationRep:
    With the next generation of consoles being released later this year I thought it might be interesting to gauge peoples' intentions with regard to which console they're planning on buying.

I had been planning on sticking with Microsoft and getting the next generation Xbox, but if the rumours about the console having to have a internet connection to function and it also being designed to be unable to play used games turn out to be true, I may well get a Playstation 4 instead.

So anyway, which do you intend to get and why?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not biased is my answer. I'll get whatever looks good and has good games, when I can afford it and when I have the time.

ReputationRep:
    Initially none of them - I plan on waiting until enough games are released for them that it feels worthwhile spending so much money. I'll probably buy a PS4 eventually, even though I have an XBox360 just now because of the pre-owned games thing...

ReputationRep:
    Not planning on anything for a while, but it would be the PS4 if anything.

I've heard Microsoft is going 100% always online for the next xbox?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    A pc.

:ahee:
    I had wondered how long it would take somebody to post a reply along those lines.

..turned out to be even sooner than I had anticipated.

ReputationRep:
    I've always been a Playstation fan, so if I had to choose one it would easily be the Playstation 4.
    Although with the prices of these consoles and my finances I don't think I would be able to afford one yet...

ReputationRep:
    Stopped using consoles a while ago...

PC is much better; better graphics, mod support, (much) cheaper games.

ReputationRep:
    I might buy the next Xbox (nextbox :ahee:) if and only if there isn't always online connection required and used games blocking as rumours are suggesting. If the rumours turn out to be true I may consider buying a PS4 but I really dislike the controllers so I doubt it.

I might consider getting a Steambox if I like the look of how they turn out, otherwise I'll probably just invest in a gaming desktop PC when my laptop breaks (which will hopefully be several years away).

ReputationRep:
    I think it's too early to make a decision, but if I had to decide now I'd go with the 720. My 360 never redringed, it did break once but microsoft repaired it for next to nothing.

It feels like the PS3's hardware is inferior, not by specs but in real world performance. Back home my brother has replaced the PS3 twice now because it's kept breaking. And even his most recent one can't really handle the latest releases and freezes when playing them for over ~1 hour. Also the PS3 controllers are poorly made; in comparison to the 360 controllers they are awful. I'm not talking about position of analog sticks or anything, just the way it's put together.

The advantages that the PS3 has over the xbox in my opinion are in the software side of things. The PS3's interface is much nicer to use, whereas the xbox's has adverts all over it and just doesn't feel nice. And the subscription fee you have to pay to microsoft to use the internet (that you already pay your ISP for) is just daylight robbery.

Anyway the only reason I'd buy a console these days is to play with friends. Otherwise a PC is better in every way if you can afford it. And if you buy a console on release chances are you can afford a decent PC too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigKirk)
    I didn't know about that fact regarding the Microsoft console, but I know that Sony intend to implement similar technology. It's downhill for the used games market, and awful news for everyone's bank balance. I'm reasonably certain that some people will try and some will be successful in finding a way around it though.

Either way, I'm not biased is my answer. I'll get whatever looks good and has good games, when I can afford it and when I have the time.
    Thats funny, because Sony has already announced they will NOT be blocking used games...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamie092)
    Anyway the only reason I'd buy a console these days is to play with friends. Otherwise a PC is better in every way if you can afford it. And if you buy a console on release chances are you can afford a decent PC too.
    I have considered getting a gaming PC on several occasions, but I'm lazy and just seems like too much hassle tbh. With a console all you have to do is connect it to your TV and you can play any game released during the lifetime of the console; no worrying about minimum/ideal system requirements or having to upgrade components or any of that stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Any console requiring 100% net connectivity will not be on my TV stand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Thats funny, because Sony has already announced they will NOT be blocking used games...
    Oh yeah, didn't notice that they'd since announced this. It has been a while since I read up on these things. I'll go back and alter it. Apologies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Futility)
    I had wondered how long it would take somebody to post a reply along those lines.

..turned out to be even sooner than I had anticipated.
    I decided to retract it though :jumphug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigKirk)
    Oh yeah, didn't notice that they'd since announced this. It has been a while since I read up on these things. I'll go back and alter it. Apologies!
    Heh, no problem!

To answer the question, almost certainly the PS4, and now Sony has announced they won't block used games I'd expect Microsoft to do the same. It'd be economic suicide if they did block used games. An always online function would lose enough customers as it is.

ReputationRep:
    None, since I got a decent PC I haven't touched my PS3, won't be buying an inferior piece of hardware for over £300.

Also, PC exclusives > Console exclusives.

ReputationRep:
    Unless Microsoft pulls a blinder, I see myself getting the PS4. The main reason is because of all the first party software studios Sony owns and I was quite impressed with their presentation. Couldn't care less about used game blocking, but constant online sounds a little worrying as I've just had a weekend where my internet was completely down. Also Kinect sucks.

ReputationRep:
    I'll get the PS4 if anything; the exclusives/launch titles look very promising.

ReputationRep:
    I have a gaming computer, looked at the PS4 stats released and it's less powerful than my computer and around the same price, I will wait and see what the X-Box has to offer, depending on price I might buy one as I had a 360 and it was alright for wasting some time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to wait and see if either console has any exclusives I actually care about, most games I wanted to play on the current gen had PC ports that had better graphics and/or things like mod support and my PC is rather better specced than the new consoles which are basically PCs.

Also vastly prefer FPS games on PC due to a mouse.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.