Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For part ai) I'm not sure whether to find the probability X more than or equal to 9. Or do I do less than or equal to 9?

I've been confused about this many times, can someone please explain which one I use for which question and why? If it wasn't two tailed then is it the same thing? Really want to clear this up now as its my first exam

Thank you
    Attached Images

• PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    The result you'd expect to see if the teacher were right is 20% of 20, which is 4. What we have is clearly much more, so we're expecting the teacher's hypothesis to be wrong, or at least to squeak through being correct.

We want a two-tailed test, because there are two ways in which the teacher can be wrong: there's "fewer" and "more" people than expected could have read the Deano, so we need to take both sides into account. Therefore we need P(X >= 9 given that 20% of people read the Deano) to be less than 2.5% in order to reject the null hypothesis.
    The reason we used "X >= 9" was that we're really calculating P(X is more extreme than we measured it, given that H0 is true); the way X is more extreme in this case is to make it larger. If it had been observed that one student (instead of 9) read the Deano, we'd use P(X <= 1). Also, if the teacher had predicted "20% or fewer of the students read the Deano", then it would be a one-tailed test and we'd use 5%. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-tail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    The result you'd expect to see if the teacher were right is 20% of 20, which is 4. What we have is clearly much more, so we're expecting the teacher's hypothesis to be wrong, or at least to squeak through being correct.

EDIT: I've worked out why I was wrong in saying "you need a two-tailed test", and have fixed my paragraph.

We want a one-tailed test, because there is only one "extreme direction" in which the teacher can be wrong: there's no way to have a negative number of people who read the Deano, so the only "extreme" is "more people read the Deano". Therefore we need P(X >= 9 given that 20% of people read the Deano) to be less than 5% in order to reject the null hypothesis.
    The reason we used "X >= 9" was that we're really calculating P(X is more extreme than we measured it, given that H0 is true); the way X is more extreme in this case is to make it larger. If it had been observed that one student (instead of 9) read the Deano, we'd use P(X <= 1). Also, if the teacher had predicted "20% or fewer of the students read the Deano", then it would still be a one-tailed test and we'd use 5%, but if we were measuring something normally distributed, like height, then we'd have two "extreme" directions and hence would use the two tails. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-tail
    But i thought two tailed is when its either equal to or not equal to?
    In the mark scheme it says = or not equal to and then part ii possible values for X are x=0 or [9,20] there is a value above and below 9 doesn't it mean two tailed?
    Attached Images

• PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by .raiden.)
    But i thought two tailed is when its either equal to or not equal to?
    In the mark scheme it says = or not equal to and then part ii possible values for X are x=0 or [9,20] there is a value above and below 9 doesn't it mean two tailed?
    Ah no, I've been stupid - I was right the first time! I'll fix my post - it is indeed two-tailed (I saw something in the mark scheme that made me think it was meant to be one-tailed, but I misinterpreted it.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    Ah no, I've been stupid - I was right the first time! I'll fix my post - it is indeed two-tailed (I saw something in the mark scheme that made me think it was meant to be one-tailed, but I misinterpreted it.)
    So if the observed value is more than the expected value (mean) then we do more than but if less then less? This is the same for one tailed right?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by .raiden.)
    So if the observed value is more than the expected value (mean) then we do more than but if less then less? This is the same for one tailed right?
    That's correct in all the combinations of cases {two/one tailed, measurements >/< mean, hypothesis states "=" or "<"}, I think (though I may have got lost on the way), so I think the answer is "yes".
    Someone more statsful might want to verify this? (I'm just a pure boy, I need no hypotheses…)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.