Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing Marketing at Newcastle. The course looks great, and I'm sure I'd enjoy it. I was wondering however how much of Marketing is maths/economics? The description mentions some will be involved but not how much. I'm not great at maths, I got a B at GCSE but really didn't enjoy it, so if it's very maths-based I don't think it'd be right for me.
    I was kind of torn between Marketing and English lit anyway, but I like the idea of a vocational degree where I have a set career at the end of it. What do you think?
    Lastly, is it possible to go into advertising with a Marketing degree? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateislate)
    I'm thinking of doing Marketing at Newcastle. The course looks great, and I'm sure I'd enjoy it. I was wondering however how much of Marketing is maths/economics? The description mentions some will be involved but not how much. I'm not great at maths, I got a B at GCSE but really didn't enjoy it, so if it's very maths-based I don't think it'd be right for me.
    I was kind of torn between Marketing and English lit anyway, but I like the idea of a vocational degree where I have a set career at the end of it. What do you think?
    Lastly, is it possible to go into advertising with a Marketing degree? Thank you!
    If it is *very* maths based, you'd need an A Level in maths to do the subject. If it doesn't require Maths at A Level, then there shouldn't be much mathematics involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    If it is *very* maths based, you'd need an A Level in maths to do the subject. If it doesn't require Maths at A Level, then there shouldn't be much mathematics involved.
    Yeah I should have mentioned that, the requirement is only a GCSE in Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateislate)
    Yeah I should have mentioned that, the requirement is only a GCSE in Maths.
    I doubt it'd involve lots of maths then. For degree's such as economics etc you need A Level Maths and/or Further Maths, as it's pretty math based. For marketing I doubt it.

I've looked at the modules listed for Newcastle University, and I can see why it says maths is on the course. In year one you'll do some basic accounting. It says you'll do some economics, but it's Economics for Business and Marketing and, looking on the module information its more about theory than maths. You'll also do Quantitive Methods, which uses things like graphs and stuff, probabilities - all GCSE kind of level stuff.

Year 2 is all about research, buyer behaviour as well as Global marketing - the only mathy type thing is Managerial Economics. But this is more how to use the numerical side in your research.

Then you can go on a placement for year 3 or study abroad, or continue your studies. In your final year you'll just have a Marketing module, and another compulsory module which COULD be math based. It's Analytical techniques, so more about research techniques.

ReputationRep:
    2nd year Marketing student here.

I didn't expect there to be a lot of maths, but in the first year there was a module based on maths (mainly probability) and computing (Excel) which I really struggled with as I'm not mathematically minded. There was also an Economics module, but this was slightly easier (memorizing definitions rather than doing actual math problems).

This year, there was an accounting module, which I really wasn't expecting, and have found very difficult. I failed the first exam, which was 50% of the mark, but managed to do okay on the second, so I've scraped a pass on the module.

You say you got a B in GCSE maths - with this, I think you will be fine. I did foundation Maths (C grade), and I've managed to pass. I actually got a 1st in the Economics module last year, so I think you might be fine if you really want to do Marketing.

I might also mention that last year, one of our modules was pure marketing, and this year we have 3 marketing modules and 3 general Business. The modules this year are "Brands and Brand Identity", "Marketing Communications" and "Service and Retail Marketing". These ones I enjoy because they involve a lot of advertising work, and I'd like to work in advertising - so to answer your question, yes you could go into advertising with a Marketing degree; but there are other universities that actually offer "Advertising" as a degree in its own right - you might be better off doing a course like this as there's a lot of general Business Studies in the degree I'm taking, which wasn't anticipated.

ReputationRep:
    Is that marketing course difficult? Cause I want to do it but then again am not good with figures that much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.