Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HI guys , i am a Chinese student who needs help on choosing the right uni , i have received offers from Portsmouth and Brighton, but struggling between them!! btw i will be studying marketing at both unis .

I don't know how to choose as they both have similar rankings and locations..so i want to know how are the unis, as well as the cities... i have been to lots of places in England ,some are really fantastic, the others... are really really quiet.. so i want to put all these factors into consideration, such as city environment, uni environment , entertainment and so on.....P

lease help me , i am in hurry to make a decision asap... one more last question .. is portsmouth bigger than brighton??

I will really appreciate your help guyss!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathy055029)
    HI guys , i am a Chinese student who needs help on choosing the right uni , i have received offers from Portsmouth and Brighton, but struggling between them!! btw i will be studying marketing at both unis .

I don't know how to choose as they both have similar rankings and locations..so i want to know how are the unis, as well as the cities... i have been to lots of places in England ,some are really fantastic, the others... are really really quiet.. so i want to put all these factors into consideration, such as city environment, uni environment , entertainment and so on.....P

lease help me , i am in hurry to make a decision asap... one more last question .. is portsmouth bigger than brighton??

I will really appreciate your help guyss!
    Brighton has a great music scene if you're into that kind of thing, with lots of live gigs and such.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not particularly sure, but you could try and change the title of the thread to something like: "Marketing: Brighton vs Portsmouth Uni - Which is better?" or something along those lines to have a better chance of attracting the right people to respond.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Based purely on location - if you want somewhere with a lot of counter-culture, a nude beach, gay people and generally quite an offbeat attitude to life, then Brighton will suit you. Portsmouth is a bit larger, but more culturally, erm, normal than Brighton. Both have shingle beaches, though truth be told you won't be spending a lot of time at the beach anyway given the weather!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hustler-1337)
    I'm not particularly sure, but you could try and change the title of the thread to something like: "Marketing: Brighton vs Portsmouth Uni - Which is better?" or something along those lines to have a better chance of attracting the right people to respond.

Good Luck
    I did post like that before, but unforturnately i didn't get any replys,,,,so i am just trying to attract more attention and hopefully it will work thanks for your advice anyway :)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Based purely on location - if you want somewhere with a lot of counter-culture, a nude beach, gay people and generally quite an offbeat attitude to life, then Brighton will suit you. Portsmouth is a bit larger, but more culturally, erm, normal than Brighton. Both have shingle beaches, though truth be told you won't be spending a lot of time at the beach anyway given the weather!
    Hi, thanks for your information, "Portsmouth is a bit larger" sounds helpful, which means i will have more places to explore within my uni life lol.. btw , do you have any advice on two unis?

ReputationRep:
    Brighton and Portsmouth...hmmmmm sorry mate you have picked the 2 places in the Uk that are rough and very little going for them. Choose Brighton if you think you can get along with its gay and homosexual lifestyle (the gay capital of UK). Portsmouth if you dont mind rough chavvy types in every street corner.The bitter truth mate.

Spend your parents money in better places mate.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/brigh...l-7298902.html

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...7073149AADGJbN

http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/2005/04/w...-sucks-a-list/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hedgemonkey)
    Brighton and Portsmouth...hmmmmm sorry mate you have picked the 2 places in the Uk that are rough and very little going for them. Choose Brighton if you think you can get along with its gay and homosexual lifestyle (the gay capital of UK). Portsmouth if you dont mind rough chavvy types in every street corner.The bitter truth mate.

Spend your parents money in better places mate.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/brigh...l-7298902.html

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...7073149AADGJbN

http://www.chavtowns.co.uk/2005/04/w...-sucks-a-list/
    i have read these three links. is portsmouth really that bad? high crime rate ?worth than London? i used to live in London for a half year, everyone repeat how london is dangrous , but from my point of view, it was totally fine, except millions of busy ppl around ....

ReputationRep:
    Of the two, I would choose Brighton, mainly because it is much easier to travel to London. But I don't know anything about either university.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth

Populations: Brighton ~150,000. Brighton ~250,000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hedgemonkey)
    Brighton and Portsmouth...hmmmmm sorry mate you have picked the 2 places in the Uk that are rough and very little going for them. Choose Brighton if you think you can get along with its gay and homosexual lifestyle (the gay capital of UK).
    Brighton isn't rough, far from, and she's unlikely to be much bothered by the "gay and homosexual lifestyle".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Brighton isn't rough, far from, and she's unlikely to be much bothered by the "gay and homosexual lifestyle".

i went to Brighton for two days last year, it left me very good impression with the relaxing lifestyle compared to London, but on the other hand, it seemed a little bit too quiet for young ppl ? (i did't go everywhere in Brighton, mainly near the seaside, so maybe i haven't got the clear idea of how is the city like)

but i agree with you that 'gay lifestyle' wouldn't bother me much lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    Of the two, I would choose Brighton, mainly because it is much easier to travel to London. But I don't know anything about either university.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth

Populations: Brighton ~150,000. Brighton ~250,000

heyy hmmm it's Portsmouth instead of Plymouth , i know Plymouth is quite far lol :0

ReputationRep:
    heyy hmmm it's Portsmouth instead of Plymouth , i know Plymouth is quite far lol :0
    Well spotted. I would have been very embarrased if I had persuaded you to accept a place at Plymouth!! :oops:

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for your information, "Portsmouth is a bit larger" sounds helpful, which means i will have more places to explore within my uni life lol.. btw , do you have any advice on two unis?
    I don't think you're going to get bored in Brighton at all. It's got two universities (Sussex & Brighton) and given that the combined student population is 34,000, a fifth of the population is students so the city will have a lot that is aimed at students. It's definitely not known as being a boring city at all - far from it. London also seems to be quite important to international students; it's really easy to get to London from Brighton (see www.nationalrail.co.uk )

As for the universities themselves, they are both on a par in terms of their reputation. Have you looked into the courses in detail? They will be very different, so you need to look at the modules available, methods of assessment, structure, etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    I don't think you're going to get bored in Brighton at all. It's got two universities (Sussex & Brighton) and given that the combined student population is 34,000, a fifth of the population is students so the city will have a lot that is aimed at students. It's definitely not known as being a boring city at all - far from it. London also seems to be quite important to international students; it's really easy to get to London from Brighton (see www.nationalrail.co.uk )

As for the universities themselves, they are both on a par in terms of their reputation. Have you looked into the courses in detail? They will be very different, so you need to look at the modules available, methods of assessment, structure, etc. etc.

Hi thanks for your info on Brighton, i am actually ok with both cities as long as they are decent for young ppl to have entertainment and leisure time. i have looked into the course details, and honestly, they are quite similar, cos i will be entering the second year straight away. So far i have got 3 factors that differ the unis :firstly, portsmouth is No.63 in the league table, whereas Brighton is 69 , secondly, the facilities and buildings seem better in Brighton uni than Portsmouth, lastly, i am not sure about it ,but i have found online that the employment rate is slightly higher in Portsmouth than in Brighton .

btw, i will probably consider to continue master after my degree, and my aim is to get into top ranked unis ( i know it's a bit typical ...) will i be able to apply for it if i study at both unis for degree ? thanks a lot )

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.