Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Title says it all, I'm just interested in how hotly contested it is, I plan to have it as my first choice of University, and will apply in September, as soon as the new academic year starts, with Bristol as my second choice, but I know Bristol is a very popular university.

ReputationRep:
    plymouth would ask for lower grades than bristol, so I would probably recommend having bristol as your firm; plymouth as you insurance - win-win situation.

but yes, many people where I live go to plymouth, very popular

ReputationRep:
    Your choice of university is an entirely personal choice, and you should base it on criteria that you set yourself.

However, assuming that you're referring to the Bristol and not West England (which is also located in Bristol), I would bring to your attention the disparity in academic reputation. Bristol is popular because it has an excellent reputation for career prospects and research quality, inarguably superior to that of Plymouth. Moreover, I would suggest that you consider entrance requirements: if you need higher grades for Bristol than you would Plymouth (which seems likely), it doesn't make too much sense to have Bristol as the insurance choice.

If you're really set on Plymouth, why not switch your firm and insurance choices around? That way, come results day, you still have your choice of university, but aren't placed in an impossible position - if you missed the grades for Plymouth, there's no way you could go to Bristol, but if you missed the grades for Bristol, you could still go to Plymouth.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I never thought of it that way, thanks guys!

Yeah, I'll switch them around then. I think that's a good idea.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Plymouth University resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.