Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. This year I'll be sitting my Standard Grade Maths exam on 3/5/13 and I am extremely worried to be quite honest. I got an overall 2 in my prelim: 1 for KU and 4 for R&E. As you can see, I'm not particular good with the RE section. Does anyone have any advice on how to study maths...specifically R&E. From past experience, how have you felt your maths exam went? If you're sitting SG Maths this year too, what are your thoughts towards it? Finally, how is your overall mark calculated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y2J97)
    Hi guys. This year I'll be sitting my Standard Grade Maths exam on 3/5/13 and I am extremely worried to be quite honest. I got an overall 2 in my prelim: 1 for KU and 4 for R&E. As you can see, I'm not particular good with the RE section. Does anyone have any advice on how to study maths...specifically R&E. From past experience, how have you felt your maths exam went? If you're sitting SG Maths this year too, what are your thoughts towards it? Finally, how is your overall mark calculated?
    Do Past Papers, you'll get better and noticing when something should be used. In S-Grade, I was told that KU questions tested if you knew HOW to do a question, and RE tested if you knew WHY you were doing it. Your KU skills appear strong, so just try and drill why you should be applying this knowledge into your head

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y2J97)

Your overall mark is calculated by taking the average grade you got for KU and RE.

For example if you got 24/40 for the KU over paper 1 and 2 at credit level then that's 60% which is a 2. The approximate boundaries are 50% for a 2 and 70% for 1.

However if you failed RE by getting 17/40 over both credit papers then your new RE grade is taken from the general paper. If you got 37/40 for RE(93%) in general then that is a 3 as the grade boundaries for a 3 and a 4 are the same respectively.

So overall you would have got a 2 for KU and a 3 for RE the average grade of these two are then taken which in this case is 2.5. If it is a decimal number then the grade gets rounded to the nearest grade apart from when it is a .5, it is rounded down to the better grade.

Hope this helped answer your final question and good luck.

When i sat my SG maths exam from 2012 in there credit paper I found everything ok apart from 1 question the final one in the calculator paper.

I got a 1 overall with 1 1 in both elements.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.