Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone one know how many As levels university of Malta requires for medicine and what are the general entry requirements, the websites is not really helpful :confused: ? i am currently doing my As level but if they require more can i do another as year after year 13 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechael)
    Does anyone one know how many As levels university of Malta requires for medicine and what are the general entry requirements, the websites is not really helpful :confused: ? i am currently doing my As level but if they require more can i do another as year after year 13 ?
    Search 'Malta medicine' in Google and several TSR threads come up. Or just search on this site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechael)
    They are pretty specific: http://www.um.edu.mt/ms/overview/UMDFT-2013-4-O

Do you speak Maltese?

ReputationRep:
    In Malta we usually do 2 A-levels and 3 Intermediates plus systems of Knowledge. All these together would give you the Matricualtion certificate with an overall grade.

For Medicine: Passes for A Level Biology and Chemistry need to be B or better, one Intermediate is also need at be B or better (there are a range of subjects). I think for medicine the grades need to be achieved in one sitting. Not sure what is required for foreign applicants though.

ReputationRep:
    Read up on this a few days ago, they're changing their conversion system of GCE A level grades so that the entry requirements will now be AAA.

Also be aware that only 88% of Malta's population speaks English and only 12% use it as their preferred language so you will likely need to speak Maltese fairly fluently by clinicals.

ReputationRep:
    I found the website rather confusing too; can anyone explain what the Certificate in Medical Maltese is, I can't find an explaination anywhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Read up on this a few days ago, they're changing their conversion system of GCE A level grades so that the entry requirements will now be AAA.

Also be aware that only 88% of Malta's population speaks English and only 12% use it as their preferred language so you will likely need to speak Maltese fairly fluently by clinicals.
    English is one of Malta's national languages. We start learning English at school from the first year. (4 or 5 years depending on when your birthday ) therefore the majority of people speak English, if not perfectly. Between ourselves we tend go speak maltese however if there is a non maltese speaker we do switch. I know some people who migrated to Malta and never found the need to learn maltese.

I haven't heard of the A level systems changing and neither has my mother. We are both teachers albeit in the secondary school, till O levels. Unless you talking about foreign requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubyredhead)
    I found the website rather confusing too; can anyone explain what the Certificate in Medical Maltese is, I can't find an explaination anywhere?
    I don't know anything about that. It seems to be a new requirement from 2014 entry for foreign nationals. I have a friend who is in 4th year medicine who i might be able to ask about but i doubt she'd know about it being maltese and in 4th year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What made you interested in studying in Malta?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by larmic)
    English is one of Malta's national languages. We start learning English at school from the first year. (4 or 5 years depending on when your birthday ) therefore the majority of people speak English, if not perfectly. Between ourselves we tend go speak maltese however if there is a non maltese speaker we do switch. I know some people who migrated to Malta and never found the need to learn maltese.

I haven't heard of the A level systems changing and neither has my mother. We are both teachers albeit in the secondary school, till O levels. Unless you talking about foreign requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The person is talking about requirements for UK applicants to Malta, though I have no idea whether or not they're correct.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks anyway. Suppose I can email the uni and ask.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks anyway. Suppose I can email the uni and ask.
    http://www.um.edu.mt/registrar/regul...ades-uk-matsec is the link to the grade comparison table

ReputationRep:
    I understand that part; it was the Certificate in Medical Maltese which confused me

ReputationRep:
    I understand that part; it was the Certificate in Medical Maltese which confused me
    For 2014 the certificate in medical maltese is not required, but from 2015 it will be. Have a look at this: http://www.um.edu.mt/__data/assets/p...as-Qual-MD.pdf It explains everything, but the minimum grades required for UK Alevels increases from 2014 to "A" from "B"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.