Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think my 8 month old Cat/Kitten is on heat? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've had these Kittens for a month now, and I love them dearly. I think that they are the same age and from the same litter but I don't know, they weren't very well looked after (underweight and scared of my dad for no reason ) so I can't ask who I got them from if this information in right.

My cat is making strange 'Mrrrrooooowww' sounds and rolling on her back, she looks like shes in pain, this has been happening for 2 days now and I'm petrified incase anything else is wrong because I don't have enough money in the bank. I'm due to get paid soon and I'll take her to the vet as soon as I have the money.

A thought that has crossed my mind is Pregnancy, shes a lot bigger than her sister and has a rounder belly but nothing too drastically different. It honestly looks like shes having Menstrual Cramps, can cats have those?

As I said, they are apparently around 8 months old , 7 when I bought them and I've had them a month, I did research and I have found out that 7-8 months is the first heat but I'm a bit uneasy because her Sister isn't doing this, I've searched youtube and I know that rolling on the back is a sign of a cat on heat, but I'm worried because she is constantly making this noise.

Please give me some advise?

Also, I can get an Emergency Loan from Family if it does sound serious to anyone who has experience and says so.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, it does sound very likely that she is in heat from what you have describe and she could well be pregnant. I can only advise that you keep them both inside until you can get them neutered. I'd suggest taking her to the vet to have her checked out in case she is ill. Also, if she is pregnant but it is early enough, she can still be spayed. If you're having trouble finding the money, talk to cats protection as they might be able to give you a voucher to get it done cheaper. Also, talking to you vet, they may be able to arrange for you to pay it off over a longer time.

P.S. "finger it" actually could work since cats are induced ovulators and digital manipulation is a recognised technique for making them ovulate to come out of heat. Mind you, some cats have been known to ovulate just from being stroked by their owners so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaverickVet)
    Hey, it does sound very likely that she is in heat from what you have describe and she could well be pregnant. I can only advise that you keep them both inside until you can get them neutered. I'd suggest taking her to the vet to have her checked out in case she is ill. Also, if she is pregnant but it is early enough, she can still be spayed. If you're having trouble finding the money, talk to cats protection as they might be able to give you a voucher to get it done cheaper. Also, talking to you vet, they may be able to arrange for you to pay it off over a longer time.

P.S. "finger it" actually could work since cats are induced ovulators and digital manipulation is a recognised technique for making them ovulate to come out of heat. Mind you, some cats have been known to ovulate just from being stroked by their owners so...

I'm not going to follow the latter advice, but Thanks all the same, I'm taking her to the vet this week.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i have a pet cat too. My cat went through something similar at around the same age. She would stick out her bum and bend her back and put her tail to the side, have you noticed if fluid comes out of her? If yes, i'm pretty sure theres nothing to worry about, it's basically that they want to go out and mate. Is your cat neutered by the way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.