The Student Room Group

Where did/will you move after uni?

I didn't really know where to put this, but I am curious as to what most people do after graduating. (as in once you have a job, as I'm guessing most people will move home initially)

Move back home?
Move permanently to the place you went to uni?
Move somewhere completely new?

Also, is it rare for people who know each other from university to move somewhere completely knew together? I ask because I am considering going to Edinburgh university, but I'm not sure if I would want to stay in Scotland after the four years. But the alternative is moving somewhere new where I wouldn't know anybody.

Any insight would be appreciated.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This has also been a thought of mine. Always wanted to know what happens to students who go to distant unis after they graduate in terms of location.
Reply 2
My plan is to initially go back home until I'm in a solid career and then start renting somewhere in London (where my parents live, but not necessarily that close to them).
Reply 3
Well, I'm Asian so the normal route is to move back home to parents, and even if you get a job, you don't move out until you get married :rolleyes:

EDIT: Unless your job is in an entirely different city.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Mountain Man
I didn't really know where to put this, but I am curious as to what most people do after graduating. (as in once you have a job, as I'm guessing most people will move home initially)

Move back home?
Move permanently to the place you went to uni?
Move somewhere completely new?

Also, is it rare for people who know each other from university to move somewhere completely knew together? I ask because I am considering going to Edinburgh university, but I'm not sure if I would want to stay in Scotland after the four years. But the alternative is moving somewhere new where I wouldn't know anybody.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I moved to the Netherlands after graduation.

Moving somewhere where you do not initially know people is not necessarily a problem since often there are social groups for new arrivals, and with fast communication through the internet/skype/telephone it is quite feasible to maintain contact with people with whom you were studying with.
Reply 5
Original post by Naami
Well, I'm Asian so the normal route is to move back home to parents, and even if you get a job, you don't move out until you get married :rolleyes:

EDIT: Unless your job is in an entirely different city.

I am South Asian and amongst my South Asian peers the general approach is to move to where the money is (i.e. often away from home). Since it is increasingly common to have a job more than 50 km away from the parental home it becomes inevitable to move away (my job is 6300 miles away from my birthplace). Marriage is also increasingly unnecessary and anachronistic.
Reply 6
Original post by effofex
I am South Asian and amongst my South Asian peers the general approach is to move to where the money is (i.e. often away from home). Since it is increasingly common to have a job more than 50 km away from the parental home it becomes inevitable to move away (my job is 6300 miles away from my birthplace). Marriage is also increasingly unnecessary and anachronistic.

Meh, I'm from London so money's pretty much all here :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by Naami
Meh, I'm from London so money's pretty much all here :biggrin:

I don't think many people from any ethnic group in London tend to move out of their parents' property if they only intend to move 5-10 miles away and intend to work in the same city. I don't think it is specific to South Asian people at all.
I have no intention whatsoever of moving back home.

Depending on career opportunities, I may very well stay in Manchester semi-permanently, but I also wouldn't rule out moving somewhere totally new, or even emigrating.
Reply 9
Thanks for the responses so far. I guess many people emigrate or move to London anyway, and those who go to campus universities in small towns must be less likely to stay.

I personally wouldn't want to move back home, and it's strange to think of starting again after university. But I suppose you don't have to lose touch with friends even if you don't live in the same city.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by effofex
I don't think many people from any ethnic group in London tend to move out of their parents' property if they only intend to move 5-10 miles away and intend to work in the same city. I don't think it is specific to South Asian people at all.

Hmm maybe I shouldn't have said Asian, but instead use Bangladeshi. It's just normal for us to stay at home till we get married even if we have jobs(though this is not something I want to do) as you could save that rent money towards a deposit on a house when you do get married. I have Indian friends, as well as non-Asian who wouldn't do that though even if they lived in the same city and they found it weird that my siblings did that. You know, a sign of 'lack of independance' and all that.
Reply 11
I moved to London and live with my boyfriend who I met at University. We currently live in his parents house (they live abroad most of the time) but we're saving up to get our own place.
If I was to try and find a job after my undergrad, I would definitely look in Sheffield first, as the bit the students live in is such a nice place (and quite cheap), but I wouldn't be opposed to going anywhere in the UK if the most suitable job was there. I think that's a good thing about going to university, before I would have been scared of going to a new place, but I'm not at all bothered now.
This is interesting. I have no idea what I am going to do. I have been applying for so many jobs, far away and close. But I keep on thinking do I really want to move far away to a place where I don't know anyone? Still, if I get offered a good job far away I will go for it.
Reply 14
Original post by Naami
Hmm maybe I shouldn't have said Asian, but instead use Bangladeshi. It's just normal for us to stay at home till we get married even if we have jobs(though this is not something I want to do) as you could save that rent money towards a deposit on a house when you do get married. I have Indian friends, as well as non-Asian who wouldn't do that though even if they lived in the same city and they found it weird that my siblings did that. You know, a sign of 'lack of independance' and all that.

Well, I know a decent number of Bangladeshi men in London who are studying and working far away from their parents (about 6500 miles away). I don't think they are in any way obliged to move into their parents' houses if and when they marry.

I don't think moving 5 mins down the road to your own property really constitutes 'independence' anyway.
Reply 15
Original post by effofex
Well, I know a decent number of Bangladeshi men in London who are studying and working far away from their parents (about 6500 miles away). I don't think they are in any way obliged to move into their parents' houses if and when they marry.

I don't think moving 5 mins down the road to your own property really constitutes 'independence' anyway.

*Sigh* I'm just saying that's the norm in my culture. Of course we don't have to, it's just done, and I certainly won't be staying home till the day I marry (I don't even know if marriage is something I want tbh). I'm moving 110 miles aways from home for uni myself. And who said anything about moving down the road? All I said my friends won't be moving back home after they graduate and they found it weird that my siblings and cousins did. London is a pretty big place, which is why a lot of students who live in London also move out for uni.
After graduating from my Bachelors (which I did 2 hours from where I am originally from) I moved to an entirely new city. I then did my Masters in yet another place (another country actually), only to move back to the city where I did my Bachelors - that was only because the job was/is there though.

So generally I wildly moved about and can recommend this to anyone. Try to see as much of the world while you're young.
Reply 17
I really wouldn't want to move back home, much rather just stay up here. But then that's assuming a lot of things :tongue:
I'm moving back to York to do my PGCE, and I assume I'll stay in North Yorkshire once I've finished that, although I won't be moving back in with my parents- it just seems like a huge step backwards
I'm starting uni in September, so my plan could easily change over the next three years. Obviously, it does all depend on where I can get a job, but my plan at the moment is to move back home for a year after uni. I'm doing a teaching degree, and reeeeeally hope to get a job in my home town. The schools are fantastic. I'll be 27 when I graduate and (hopefully) thinking about children, and I've recently realised that I want my children going to school around here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending