The Student Room Group

Staying in Oxford halls over holidays?

I'm probably going to Oxford next year, assuming I don't screw up my A levels too badly that is, and I was just wondering whether you can stay stay in your room over holidays because I don't particularly want to go back to my parent's house for any extended time period.

Also, if you can do this, does the rent go up out of term time?
Reply 1
Original post by Curtis Loew
I'm probably going to Oxford next year, assuming I don't screw up my A levels too badly that is, and I was just wondering whether you can stay stay in your room over holidays because I don't particularly want to go back to my parent's house for any extended time period.

I don't think you can stay, rooms will be used by other people out of term time for conferences etc. and to hold interviewees
Reply 2
Original post by Dualcore
I don't think you can stay, rooms will be used by other people out of term time for conferences etc. and to hold interviewees

Are you certain?
Reply 3
Are you certain?

Not 100%, look on your colleges website, I'm sure there will be info somewhere about it. What college gave you an offer. I hold an offer from Pembroke college.

You can apply for vacation residence at most colleges, apart from a short period over Easter and Christmas, and maybe the summer. The rent is the same at Balliol - I don't know about the others.

My college asks for an academic reason (they don't like to encourage it because they use the rooms for conferences), but I'm sure they would let you stay most of the time anyway.

What college? :smile:

You should be able to (depending on college), although they might move you to off-site accommodation because rooms in college tends to go to interviewees (Christmas) or conference guests (all vacations).

For my college, applying and getting a grant for the rent are separate matters, so you could technically just stay for a few days if you wanted to. If you have a valid reason for staying (eg academic matters like exams), then you'd normally get a grant which subsidies rent (can't remember how much I paid though).

If you're looking to stay for entire vacations, perhaps a better solution after first year would be to get college accommodation for 40 weeks (not all colleges offer this option though) or live out?
Reply 6

Generally speaking it is not possible to do this, perhaps with some exception. If you live out clearly it will be though.

Even if it is possible though, that's a lot of money in rent you're proposing spending. If you've got that much money to spare ... why go home? Go travelling every holiday. Seriously.

Original post by Octohedral
... but I'm sure they would let you stay most of the time anyway.

Are you sure about that? Having students around is pretty expensive for them in lost income, and letting one student do it sets a precedent!
Original post by nexttime
Are you sure about that? Having students around is pretty expensive for them in lost income, and letting one student do it sets a precedent!

Most of my overseas friends get to stay, though not usually in their own rooms.

I agree they don't like it, but if the OP has a real reason not to go home I could see them letting him. Obviously he should e-mail his college though, to find out for sure what their rules are. Anything we say here is just conjecture.
At Hugh's you can stay over the holidays, you have to let them know my the middle of term or you get charged an extra one off fee. I think costs work out about the same per night as during term time (around £20pn).

Also: If your term-time room is in one nice enough for them to offer to conference guests you might be moved to one of the worst ones, but you can just strategically pick rooms in buildings where that won't happen :wink:
Reply 9
Word of warning about the Christmas vac - most colleges use most of their rooms for interviewees, and those staying up to help at interviews, so getting to stay then might be a bit more difficult.
Reply 10

I think at Catz anyone is allowed to stay whenever they want, definitely over Easter and Christmas. It's probably the same at other colleges.

If it's an important factor then it might be worth applying to a large college (accommodation is less likely to be filled up by conference goers), or ask around at an open day.

Quick Reply

Latest