OCR A AS Geography this Friday! Watch

pangie_gie
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
god i m really really worried abt the GI paper..have no idea of wt are they askin for...

well better go study=) good luck to all.
ghtrevgy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Anybody know what the typical raw-mark grade boundaries are for OCR A?

I wish OCR would put the examiners reports on its stupid website :rolleyes:

:tsr2:
hannasmith22
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
got investigations 2moro... can any one explain mann whitney U 2 me in a simple way? ive been told its unlikely to come up as it was in the jan exam so more likely to be spearmans rank, but still want to learn it any way!
mike89
Report 12 years ago
Only a few hours left now! Best of luck to everyone!
Sorani
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The Earth Atmoshpere Energy Budget is a horrible thing
That drove me up the wall trying to learn, it's just so dull and seems so useless to know.
_Gnasher_
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Argh! The physical paper was much harder than I was expecting. The human was good (I liked the extra time by not doing those three questions), and who even knows what happens with the investigation paper!
Nightowl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the AQA Geography spec B, Physical options was much better than I was expecting but on Module 1 I got the dreaded weather! I had no idea so I just talked about clouds going over Iceland and Norway
mike89
Report 12 years ago
Finally, its over!

The physical was okay but the last question was a *****:mad:! The human was easy and they removed a couple of questions which gave extra time. With the investigations what was up with the first queston!?:confused: and for the ones where u had to draw sketch graphs would a pie chart be fine for the first as i hear most people did a barchart instead!?

In the question where it asked what one air mass causes i wrote about two air masses meeting and a depression occuring! Would that be wrong?
emmz23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hu did the AQA AS geography paper this afternoon?? I found the physical paper kinda hard! My mind went blank. The Human paper was okay i guess and so was the skills paper- i sumhow finished 10 mins b4 the exam for that one!! :confused:
How did other people find the exam??
Nightowl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What spec Emma, A or B? If B I found the Physical not too bad - glaciation for me, but "dynamics of change" very hard!
ghtrevgy
Rep:
?
Oh my god. I am now clinically depressed.

The Physical Paper was literally a worse possible scenario for me. It was DREADFUL. Basically EVERYTHING I disliked came up. The whole of the lithosphere section was on slopes....why oh why was there no weathering or tectonics? And no atmospheric energy budget but instead crappy air mass questions? And the 10 mark questions were AWFUL.... that last one I didn't have a clue about. Completely guessed. Where were the usual "human effect" ones??????? There was NOWHERE for me to properly use my place-specific studies either....

At least the Human Paper was okay. Anybody know what is happening regarding the three questions missed out? Did you do part D (the case study)? We were told that OCR completely messed up and forgot to put the OS map in for everyone across the country, and that instead that question would be disregarded when they mark them (in my opinion a BAD thing because it was an easy question....).

And The Investigations Paper was a complete joke. Mike89 - I also didn't understand the point of the first question. It was absolutely ridiculous. I did a pie chart as well....but everyone I spoke to did a bar chart....so god knows.

Anyway, it was a bad day for me. I was actually not dreading Geography that much.....bring on all my other subjects :rolleyes:
hannasmith22
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i did investigations too... i agree the 1st question was crazy i dint rite ne thin near 2 20 marks i just kept saying the data dint match the question so i changed the question loads! did not have a clue about it... i did a bar chart 4 part 1 and another bar chart 4 part b but had 3 axis. A scatter graph would have been the best but u needed to include 3 sets of data so i didnt think it would work? and on the last question i totally ran out of time so just bullet pointed ne thin i new about spearmans rank! i to am depressed about it! but never mind not much we can do bout it now!
Good Luck with the rest of everyones exams!
ghtrevgy
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannasmith22)
i did investigations too... i agree the 1st question was crazy i dint rite ne thin near 2 20 marks i just kept saying the data dint match the question so i changed the question loads! did not have a clue about it... i did a bar chart 4 part 1 and another bar chart 4 part b but had 3 axis. A scatter graph would have been the best but u needed to include 3 sets of data so i didnt think it would work? and on the last question i totally ran out of time so just bullet pointed ne thin i new about spearmans rank! i to am depressed about it! but never mind not much we can do bout it now!
Good Luck with the rest of everyones exams!
I did a bar chart with three axis for the second part as well. I couldn't think of any other way to represent all three of the data sets. I hope we got it right

BTW - Were we supposed to accurately plot the graphs/pie charts? I just drew rough sketches....:confused: :eek:
hannasmith22
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by seaspray)
I did a bar chart with three axis for the second part as well. I couldn't think of any other way to represent all three of the data sets. I hope we got it right

BTW - Were we supposed to accurately plot the graphs/pie charts? I just drew rough sketches....:confused: :eek:

just rough sketches... i randomly drew a few bars on but they dint really match the data, i think as long as they no that u no what the graph is showing then its fine. I was also told to make sure u title and label axis, and scale the sides too. Did you have time to complete it or where u rushed?
ghtrevgy
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannasmith22)
just rough sketches... i randomly drew a few bars on but they dint really match the data, i think as long as they no that u no what the graph is showing then its fine. I was also told to make sure u title and label axis, and scale the sides too. Did you have time to complete it or where u rushed?
That's good to know. I started off by trying to do it all accurately then I saw the clock and thought "screw it" lol.

I was very rushed. However, I started with the last question (Spearman's Rank) because the first one scared the hell out of me. By the time the 45 minutes were up I hadn't finished the first question and to be honest what I wrote for it made literally no sense at all. It was a totally stupid question. I was expeting questions like "What are the values of photo's in an investigation" or "Explain your data findings in your investigation and how you would improve it".....NOT the crap that they threw up for Q1.
Pure T
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
INVESTIGATION
To be the first question if u read it carefully was an all in one question, you could really mention absolutely anything aslong as you looked at it for referene , for expample hypothesis, map, photo, results etc.

THe drawing I did a scatterplot for the first one and line graph for second, think they are both acceptable.

THe last part i just described spearmans rank , very rushed! (tried doing diagrams but they snatched paper away lol). It did just say describe A method so i didnt even mention any others, some people in my year did but I know for sure it said A, not plural. But i think they are marked positvely anyway.

If given another 5 mins I reckon I would have a really strong A, but as not i rekon I got a high B or low A. By the way this is a retake for me , got B last time.
mike89
Report 12 years ago
For the first questions on investigation paper i just wrote how each section links i.e in sec 4 for analysis i needed to revise the previous section to see why my results are as such and what faults were their in my method that resulted in anomolous data etc and i did this for all sections-how many marks do u think i would have got???:confused:

For the graphs i forgot to write a title:mad:!!! and for the spearmans rank don't u think they were too many marks for it- usually its 10 to describe it etc but this was 20:eek::mad: !

Finally, did anyone get the last questions on slopes???:confused: and in the one on air masses it asked what weather one air mass brings but i talked of pc and tm meeting. Would that give me any marks because surely there was nothing to write about one air mass for six marks:eek: :confused: !!!

btw whats the grade boundary for an A on each papers and do u think they will lower it for the physical????
emmz23
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Nightowl)
What spec Emma, A or B? If B I found the Physical not too bad - glaciation for me, but "dynamics of change" very hard!
I did the spec A in geog cuz i'm doin AS.
ghtrevgy
Rep:
?
I'm starting to wish it was the Physical paper in which they missed out one of the resources. That would make me feel a little better!

(Original post by mike89)
because surely there was nothing to write about one air mass for six marks:eek: :confused: !!!
I totally agree. It was completely stupid. 2 marks, fine. 3 marks, fair enough. But 6? What the hell do they expect? It's a stupid air mass for crying out loud!

Finally, did anyone get the last questions on slopes???
No. I literally didn't feel confident about knowing the answer to any of those last questions. I still can't believe they did the whole section on slopes and there was nothing on weathering or tectonics. :angry:

btw whats the grade boundary for an A on each papers and do u think they will lower it for the physical????
I would love to know this as well ~ anyone have any ideas?
_Gnasher_
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For the first questions on investigation paper i just wrote how each section links i.e in sec 4 for analysis i needed to revise the previous section to see why my results are as such and what faults were their in my method that resulted in anomolous data etc and i did this for all sections-how many marks do u think i would have got???:confused:

For the graphs i forgot to write a title:mad:!!! and for the spearmans rank don't u think they were too many marks for it- usually its 10 to describe it etc but this was 20:eek::mad: !

Finally, did anyone get the last questions on slopes???:confused: and in the one on air masses it asked what weather one air mass brings but i talked of pc and tm meeting. Would that give me any marks because surely there was nothing to write about one air mass for six marks:eek: :confused: !!!

I am sure that this year has been the hardest year for physcial geography for a long time - the grade boundary for an A will still be 80%, but it is a question of how many marks on the paper you need to get scaled up to this boundary in UMS. The majority of people I have spoken too found it v. difficult so I am sure that the boundary will have fallen more than in other years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (129)
38.62%
No - but I will (19)
5.69%
No - I don't want to (25)
7.49%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (161)
48.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise