Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have a few problems with my computer. In the past week I have been playing games on my computer, nothing GFX heavy (World of Warcraft) and I keep on getting blue screens and my PC turns off. It was a driver error and then it would just turn off, my first idea was to update the graphics card driver on my computer. It sorted for a few hours and then began to have the same problem again. I even took my 2nd monitor off the GFX card.

I thought maybe becuase I installed GTA 4 through steam on my computer then maybe it was something to do with a the two games on my computer and then I formatted my PC. I have nothing on my PC just one update and yet now the PC will not turn on. It would have the windows start logo and then blue screen giving me the message (Attempt to reset the display driver, and timeout recover) and then it would turn off, have a fuzzy boot up screen and then repeat over and over. The only way I am typing this message is going through Safe mode networking.

I was wondering what this problem was? Is it the GFX card?

My computer specs are;

Processor
    2.10 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
    256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Not hyper-threaded

Motherboard
    Board: ASRock N68C-S UCC
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.50 03/03/2011

RAM
    4096 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

GFX Card
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra (512mb I think)

Please help. I have until next week to start and finish my college coursework and my stupid computer is not running properly. I read the guide for the motherboard and it says only one PCI express slot, and two PCI slots, does that mean I can not SLI on this motherboard or something? My friend has sent me two gfx cards in the post and was wondering if it was possible to do it on this machine. I understand that my tower is old as hell, was wondering if I could upgrade this machine or something? or all my parts crap as hell.

Thanks very very much. Sorry about the long essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jiraya Sama)
    Hi,

I have a few problems with my computer. In the past week I have been playing games on my computer, nothing GFX heavy (World of Warcraft) and I keep on getting blue screens and my PC turns off. It was a driver error and then it would just turn off, my first idea was to update the graphics card driver on my computer. It sorted for a few hours and then began to have the same problem again. I even took my 2nd monitor off the GFX card.

I thought maybe becuase I installed GTA 4 through steam on my computer then maybe it was something to do with a the two games on my computer and then I formatted my PC. I have nothing on my PC just one update and yet now the PC will not turn on. It would have the windows start logo and then blue screen giving me the message (Attempt to reset the display driver, and timeout recover) and then it would turn off, have a fuzzy boot up screen and then repeat over and over. The only way I am typing this message is going through Safe mode networking.

I was wondering what this problem was? Is it the GFX card?

My computer specs are;

Processor
    2.10 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
    256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (2 total)
    Not hyper-threaded

Motherboard
    Board: ASRock N68C-S UCC
    Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.50 03/03/2011

RAM
    4096 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

GFX Card
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra (512mb I think)

Please help. I have until next week to start and finish my college coursework and my stupid computer is not running properly. I read the guide for the motherboard and it says only one PCI express slot, and two PCI slots, does that mean I can not SLI on this motherboard or something? My friend has sent me two gfx cards in the post and was wondering if it was possible to do it on this machine. I understand that my tower is old as hell, was wondering if I could upgrade this machine or something? or all my parts crap as hell.

Thanks very very much. Sorry about the long essay.
    The error could literally be anything................I would say go for a fresh install of windows or partial one where you can save one users data.

After that update all the drivers........your gpu, motherboard, etc from there makers site.

Yes looking at your motherboard from the ASrock page, it doesn't do dual graphics..........also your forgetting another factor even if you could the power supply wouldn't allow it. http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68C...Specifications

The best you could do is a new cpu Phenom II X6, if you want graphics, then a better graphics card but you'll need to spend on a better power supply unit. Also a SSD to hold the OS and other programs you want to run faster.

Other than that, it would be very costly, far better off getting a decent build.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.