Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Reading through threads about abortion, gay marriage, etc. got me wondering - should personal views of what is moral influence the way a society as a whole is run or should they be - as I pointed out before - just personal?
    There are obvious things such as murder that is considered to be immoral that need to be (and are) outlawed as it affects the general population. However should issues like abortions and gay marriage, that are obviously personal and cause no harm to general population, be outlawed because they do not agree with the moral views of certain groups (that are often the minority)?
    Personally I believe that my views of morality should not influence the lives of others.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It is inevitable that the people who control the laws of a society will impose their morality on others, whatever it may be. But in my view, there is no such thing as a victimless crime - crimes without victims are not crimes at all. I can't help but to see the banning of freedoms when they harm none - especially when they benefit others - to be the immoral action, and so these personal choices that you mention should never in my mind be seen as immoral.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't outlaw or ban holding a certain opinion, no matter what it is.

ReputationRep:
    Every single law has come from or have been influenced by morality. this is not someone 'imposing' their views all the time.
    by you saying that your morality should not influence or diminish or restrict others, is a sense of morality in and of itself. if you want that to be law, which it is in some cases - freedom of speech, etc. - then your morality just influenced that law.

though you mention only three topics of morality, there are a ton more that deal with actions such as rape and murder, not just how someone talks, thinks, or what ever.

To try and say that morality should not influence society and govt. is a backwards mentality. backwards because nothing would be done. everything would be at a stand still, if taken into the strictness of meanings/example.

even for a little bit, say no Y morality may enter politics. you can not deter nor limit a person based purely on their morals or beliefs, you just stated that. more importantly, a person can no put aside nor should they put aside their morals/beliefs just to participate in society/politics/etc.

(Original post by Kiss)
    You shouldn't outlaw or ban holding a certain opinion, no matter what it is.
    don't believe you can. difficult to control thought

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.