Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I've got a place on an Access to Teacher Training course in september with a view to going into Early Childhood Studies or an Early years foundation degree. I've been in touch with the Access manager where I am doing the course to see what modules I would be doing and I've been told it will be Chemistry or Biology, History, Language studies, Literary studies and Numeracy aswell as taking GCSE maths alongside.

I basically wondered if anyone has done or is doing an Access course with any of these subjects included and can tell me a bit more about the topics within them so I can get some preparatory reading done, especially History as I never took this at school. What are the topics I'm likely to cover within History?

Also is language and literary studies English language and literature? That's how I have understood it!

Any help appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Find out which validating authority awards the diplomas at your chosen college and see if they have a unit bank on their website (mine does). I think you can find this information out on www.accesstohe.ac.uk. You are probably best asking directly because there are probably tonnes of different history units on there to be chosen from (by the tutor/ college). Perhaps if you ask directly they could refer you in the direction of the course tutor. In fact why not ask for their details anyway?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The thing about history - and also English language/literature - is that it builds on previous skills, rather than knowledge. So in year 4 you might learn about The Vikings and then never touch that topic again, but by studying the vikings you've learnt to describe or explain.

So from that point of view it doesn't matter what practise you do, it's how you approach that practise. Many GCSE courses cover Nazi Germany, but it's not important to know about that topic, it's more important to examine sources and judge whether they're believable or not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.