Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I'll keep this brief (and I apologise in advance for sounding like Hemingway).

Through high school I was the kid that had potential, but never pulled through fully, be it through lack of motivation or discipline, or both. I viewed school as a sausage factory, and this was drilled into me by my post-hippy mother, and I always just assumed things would be fine. I was wrong. I received 2 As at Higher (English and Geography) 3 Cs (Chem, Bio, Computing) and 2 Bs at Advanced Higher (English and Geography) and 1 C (Bio). I drifted into university, and studied geography at Dundee, my last option. I ended up leaving after passing my exams rather well, as I was becoming more and more disillusioned and depressed.

I'm 19 now, and realise that I want to improve my grades. I want to get a good job. I choose life (over-dramatic, sorry). Will going to college and studying say 3 or 4 highers / hncs allow me to enter into a 101-150 ranking university? For example, the University of Edinburgh or Glasgow. I plan on studying psychology, history or English literature.

I hope someone reads this, and maybe ideally someone has been through a similar situation. I'm fed up of giving up. I'm past it and matured, and I realise how easily people fall into a life of mediocrity, and I'm terrified to death of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tobinobin)
    Hello everyone, I'll keep this brief (and I apologise in advance for sounding like Hemingway).

Through high school I was the kid that had potential, but never pulled through fully, be it through lack of motivation or discipline, or both. I viewed school as a sausage factory, and this was drilled into me by my post-hippy mother, and I always just assumed things would be fine. I was wrong. I received 2 As at Higher (English and Geography) 3 Cs (Chem, Bio, Computing) and 2 Bs at Advanced Higher (English and Geography) and 1 C (Bio). I drifted into university, and studied geography at Dundee, my last option. I ended up leaving after passing my exams rather well, as I was becoming more and more disillusioned and depressed.

I'm 19 now, and realise that I want to improve my grades. I want to get a good job. I choose life (over-dramatic, sorry). Will going to college and studying say 3 or 4 highers / hncs allow me to enter into a 101-150 ranking university? For example, the University of Edinburgh or Glasgow. I plan on studying psychology, history or English literature.

I hope someone reads this, and maybe ideally someone has been through a similar situation. I'm fed up of giving up. I'm past it and matured, and I realise how easily people fall into a life of mediocrity, and I'm terrified to death of that.
    Will entering a "101-150 ranking university" get you a "good job"? I only ask because lots of people have good jobs without going to university and lots of people who go to lower ranked universities get good jobs too. So, are you aiming to get a good job or attend a high ranking uni?

Have you had a look at the universities you want to attend and checked out their entry requirements? Maybe there is an alternate way in rather than retaking qualifications you have already done.

ReputationRep:
    It might not, but I honestly just want to know I'm getting an excellent education and respectable degree, as it will improve my chances of employment in what I want to do (everyone knows most high paid jobs are dominated by people who attended prestigious or relatively prestigious universities). I'm also quite vain, and I feel like I'd beat myself up if I got a degree from one of the poorer universities. I have a feeling they are quite focussed on getting high school applicants. There is an access course, although I think it's more based around getting mature students in.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.