Report 12 years ago
A* means you are working towards an A level standard of knowledge and answers
Cataclysm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A* :

Grade introduced to encourage bright students to get undue stress if they can't achieve and have to settle for an A, added peer pressure, etc.

It's not at easy to achieve very high grades at GCSE because the amount of work you put it is not always directly related to the grade you will achieve.
Gramatic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A*: Intelligent (Brainbox)
Ameen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got an A* in my English Lang mock...ooohh yeah
amz_k_456
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by FireDeuce)
A* means you are working towards an A level standard of knowledge and answers
No thats not true as an A* at GCSE level is the equivalent of a D at A level
Frapps
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Cataclysm)
A* :

Grade introduced to encourage bright students to get undue stress if they can't achieve and have to settle for an A, added peer pressure, etc.

It's not at easy to achieve very high grades at GCSE because the amount of work you put it is not always directly related to the grade you will achieve.
hahahahahaha!!! This is SO true!!! I wish that they hadn't introduced A*. So much less hastle!
t-a-r-online
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A*- You've got the mark scheme under your desk, and the whole English Dictionary tattooed to the back of your hand!
arpeggio
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think it really depends on what subject the exam is in and how long you've been studying it e.g. a B in GCSE Spanish when you've only been learning it for 2 years is, in my opinion, about the same as an A/A* in GCSE French when you've been learning it for 5 years. But in general I think:
A* = Excellent
A = Very good
B = Not too bad/OK
C and under = Bad
But! This is only my view. And I go to a grammar school where I got a detention for getting a B in one of my mock exams. Personally though, I don't think a B is that bad, especially when you compare it to the average grades of people in the country, but then if you're capable of getting at least an A in everything then it wouldn't be a good grade for you (if that makes sense.) It's all relative.
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
[QUOTE=xemmajanex]And I go to a grammar school where I got a detention for getting a B in one of my mock exams.QUOTE]

:eek: God, that's so harsh! If you got a B because you bunked loads of lessons and never did any work, then fair enough, but did it not occur to them that a) a B is above average and therefore a good grade in the eyes of most people and b) you might have tried your hardest but just not had a natural aptitude for that particular subject?

Anyway, for me it goes like this:
A*- excellent
A- very good
B- good
C- average
D and below- oh dear

As you said though, it's all relative. If you were predicted an E because you found a subject really difficult, but you worked loads and managed a C, that would be a very good grade for you, but if someone else got a C who had been predicted an A*, that obviously wouldn't be good at all. It also depends a lot on the school. In schools like yours where a B is seen as really bad, of course everyone will strive for A*s and As and be disappointed with anything less, but in 'normal' schools like mine where an A* is a rare sight indeed and Cs and Ds are the average, expectations will be much lower.
Papillon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A* :

Wow. What a nice way to put it. Like somebody else said, I don't think the A* should have been introduced.

For what it's worth, evaluation seems to knock you into A* territory.
bohemian
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I reckon A/A* requires some work and for you to care about the subject, but B/C could mean anything - either that you're lazy but can get through an exam OK, or that you work but find it hard, or that you had a bad day/the exam wasn't what you expecting, whatever. I don't think there's much of an excuse for a D or below, in most cases. But GCSE grades are a bit stupid, so much of it depends on what happens to be on the paper, or general knowledge, whether you abide to the (sometimes ridiculous) mark scheme, your teacher, your coursework etc etc. It isn't exactly an indication of intelligence or anything, unless you get 10 A*s in which case you're unlikely to be stupid. But I know someone who got 5 GCSEs at grades CCDDD and then got AAAB at A level, and is actually bright.

I think we are made to care too much about grades. I can't do long division but I'm predicted an A* in maths - speaks for itself really...
hi there
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For me:

A* - Fantastic!!
A - Could have done better, be disapointed but get over it, its still good!
B - Start crying

i will not go any further due to my views above. Truthfully, i am not lying, if i got a B i would be soooo upset and suicidal, as it means that your just average! Moi - average, surely not....
Wezzo
Report 12 years ago
My parents aren't too bothered about the difference between A and A*, and I tend to agree. I'm predicted A* in everything, but realistically it's more likely to split 50:50 A to A*.
Berto90
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by hi there)
For me:

A* - Fantastic!!
B - Start crying

i will not go any further due to my views above. Truthfully, i am not lying, if i got a B i would be soooo upset and suicidal, as it means that your just average! Moi - average, surely not....
:ditto:. Sry, I know some people may see that as arrogant, but that's how I feel about it. Maybe I wouldn't start crying though.
crazyexcitedrandomer01
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For me:

A* - Fantastic!!
A - Could have done better, be disappointed but get over it, its still good!
B - Start crying

I think that (like someone else said), that grades are not a true reflection of how hard you have worked. Example- some people work their arses off for a grade C to be told that GCSE's are easy!!! Another example (me yesterday) had an English Lit exam. I should have got an A or even A*, but due to a mistake on the day i lost 18 marks, and therefore i may get a c.

You can't really put a definition to a grade. I think that the system you work by is good though- it shows you have really high standards and at the end of the day (cliche), this is how you achieve the best in life!

Good Luck Everyone!
Inflation
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A* :

Are you funny like that in real life.

Maybe we will see A* for A Level soon?
*bobo*
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A*- good
A- ok
B- slightly disappointing
below C- oops
MadPotta
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For me:

A* - Fantastic!!
B - Start crying

I've got to agree with this too. im predicted all a*s for gcse (apart from art, which is a), but i wont be disappointed and wouldnt be surprised if i get a few As. however after all the hard work and the good marks ive got in coursework over the last 2 years, im going to be disappointed with a B. not being arrogant, i just want to live up to my predictions.
MadPotta
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ashmufc)

Are you funny like that in real life.

Maybe we will see A* for A Level soon?
i wouldnt be surprised. every year the papers moan that a levels are getting easier and that too many students are getting top grades. introducing a*s seems to be the easiest way to separate the great from the very great.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (256)
39.02%
No - but I will (45)
6.86%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.16%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (308)
46.95%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed