Cataclysm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ashmufc)

Are you funny like that in real life.

Maybe we will see A* for A Level soon?
Could I be any more funny? I do believe that this is the case though, I didn't work hard for Citizenship and R.S. and just flicked through a page of notes and got 93% and 95% respectively (although I did get told off my answer on my R.S. paper when I explained God doesn't exist because of blah blah..... Da Vinci Code... South Park... The Simpsons...) but I couldn't resist it so in my real exam I tried not to make the Examiner cry if he read my script :p: (Got full marks on the question still )

A* and A** for A level are still in consideration but won't be introduced in our A level lifetime; earliest inclusion is September 2008; you gotta love bureaucracy
MarcD
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
4 months after I take my A2s, that figures... :rolleyes:
Inflation
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A** - you trying to be funny again?
person 34
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
a* is different in each subject.
science (as someone said earlier) you've learnt the markscheme.
Maths - you have a gift logically OR you spend too much of your time doing past papers.
English -you have a gift analytically and just have what it takes to write good essays.
Humanities - not totally sure as I only do history but I would say in that lots of practise, good at essays and being good at exams and some memory involved too. Probably the same in geo and R.S?
Languages - simpley you have a knack for languaegs or you don't.
Creative subjects/arts - Lots of hard work and a gift
latin/greek - you have a geek streak in you or you are a complete geek
Excalibur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For me, I would be overjoyed with an A* in some subjects (eg in English Lit) because I worked really hard for it; for others I would be disappointed if I don't get an A* (eg in German). Generally, I would be really pleased with an A*, happy with an A and disappointed with a B.
Cataclysm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ashmufc)
A** - you trying to be funny again?
Nope, but don't worry if you are starting AS levels in September 2006 then you won't have to worry.

And Excalibur and I feel exactly the same because I have worked hard over the two years and don't want to end up in A in some subjects but there are some subjects I am bit suspectible about such as French :mad: and Eng. Lit. because 90% is riduculously high for an A*
Excalibur
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Cataclysm)
Nope, but don't worry if you are starting AS levels in September 2006 then you won't have to worry.

And Excalibur and I feel exactly the same because I have worked hard over the two years and don't want to end up in A in some subjects but there are some subjects I am bit suspectible about such as French :mad: and Eng. Lit. because 90% is riduculously high for an A*
:eek: 90%???? Well, that's my hope for an A* gone then....
Cataclysm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
For WJEC it is always 90% - for other exam boards it varies - AQA was 84% last year.
Zinck
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
In my opinion, ive worked hard over the past 2 years and i hope i get good grades as a result.

I will be ecstatic if i got A* in anything
I will be really happy with an A
I will be quite happy with a B
I would be dissapointed with a C
x---Emz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Sorry to make an argument but in my opinion being getting an A* is no better than getting a C. I'd say thats only because the grades are for you. not for anybody else. At the end of the day it's you who cares most about them. If I was aiming to get a C in a subject and got a B, I'd be absolutely over the mood - not be saying oh so I got a B - not too bad I suppose. But then if I got an A, and was supposed to get an A*, I'd be extremely dissapointed.

Hope that made sense, it made sense in my head anyways. Basically it all depends on what you want, not how close to 100% you get
Cataclysm
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Those words deserve some rep, well spoken, excuse my poor rep, it's only 1 or 2 points
Naranoc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
^ Haha, my teachers says exactly the same thing to us every assembly! 'It's only when you achieve your potential that you have succeded', and so of course, once you put 100% effort in, you will get the GCSE results that you deserve. It's pointless compring yourself to other. Like what was said, a C to some people can mean hours of revision and hardwork, while an A* to others can simply mean skimming over your notes the night before.
Frapps
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Excalibur)
For me, I would be overjoyed with an A* in some subjects (eg in English Lit) because I worked really hard for it; for others I would be disappointed if I don't get an A* (eg in German). Generally, I would be really pleased with an A*, happy with an A and disappointed with a B.
Actually, as a matter of fact, I feel EXACTLY the same!
Frapps
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Excalibur)
Actually, as a matter of fact, I feel EXACTLY the same!
Krystal
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
A*- either ur naturally clever or you are ready to work your socks off!
A- ur bright enough
B- you work
C- you work but....its not working out too well.
D- you are incapable of working.
E,F....U.....erm...yeh.

hehe....onli kiding.....but thats how its generally works in my school.

personally....
my dream ---all A*s.
my reality---- some As?
i pray no-----Bs
my worst nightmare----a C!
Frapps
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Krystal)
A*- either ur naturally clever or you are ready to work your socks off!
A- ur bright enough
B- you work
C- you work but....its not working out too well.
D- you are incapable of working.
E,F....U.....erm...yeh.

hehe....onli kiding.....but thats how its generally works in my school.

personally....
my dream ---all A*s.
my reality---- some As?
i pray no-----Bs
my worst nightmare----a C!
LOL! I love the commentaries you've attached to the grades!
RTFQ
Report 12 years ago
I'd really like to get A*s in all my subjects (hehe, who wouldn't?!) but I know that's not going to happen. In my mocks I got 2 A*s and my teachers were disappointed in me, but I was really okay with that. I think I'll get a few A*s, mainly As and then my two Bs.

There are some subjects, mainly Biology this afternoon, that I would be overjoyed to get a B in because I find them really difficult and although I work hard in lessons I'm not very good with factual recall. However, with subjects like Physics you just need to know the equations and learn the tests that happened in the 1900's and you're pretty much set, there's less room for vague questions in such a precise science.

Just my views anyway

Off to go spew some Latin onto that horrible purple exam paper. Joy.
- RTFQ
b7590
Report 12 years ago
A* - An annoying grade for those who are bright usually top in class/schools to feel as if they've failed if they get an A or even worse a B. Everyone wants the shiny grades, they look nice.

- In a language: know the language really well grammar, very wide range of subjects could cope with using the language in real situations
- In Art: Brilliant naturally, have great ideas and work extremely hard with coursework etc
- Maths naturally talented and have had good teachers
- Double Science modular, can't say for other (realised in year10 you actually should revise a lot)/ retook loads of modules where you'd got As and Bs and then did really well in last exams (easy to drop if you're better at one part than others e.g. physics than biology or biology than chemistry and physics)

Other subjects Still excellent, but is really good in exams i.e. under time and pressure Also easier if you have been taught to a mark scheme (especially english, RE and other essay subjects)

A
Still an impressive grade
- Quite often could have got A* may have expected A*, but mucked up exam or revised a lot of things that just didn't come up.
- In languages good knowledge A or above if expected has ability to do well in A level
- In maths you're good can do most things, maybe not so good without calculators. Have had good teachers throughout school.

B - Still a good grade especially if you know you've worked hard in that subject maybe badly timed yourself in exam, especially with essays.
(In languages unless dropped in exam generally acceptable knowledge)
- In maths on intermediate paper easy to get, almost same as getting 7s in Key stage 3. A B on higher paper in my opinion, you have to know far more for and i'm glad they're getting rid of intermediate.

In my opinion its very easy to drop all the way from an A* to a B in some subjects, especially where the grade boundaries a small and you get a strict marker for your examiner (especially where grades are more subjective, such as english rather than maths where you have a right or wrong answer/ run out of time).

C- If you've worked hard for it and maybe don't naturally remember things as well etc then its good.
-If you have the ability to get Bs or higher then you either really mucked up exam or are lazy.
- Sometimes a C on foundation (and some foundation papers such as the english papers i've seem, don't really seem that different) especially in something like french you may have done as well as a B on a higher.

D- fine for those who aren't so bright, but have worked Others are just lazy.

E,F,G - Very very lazy (did no revision, didn't bother with coursework) or just really didn't understand the subject)

U - Did you actually write anything in the exam?

I myself wouldn't like anything below a B, didn't in my mocks, hope if I do really badly in any exams at least my coursework will still keep me at least a B. Ideally I would like all As and A*s, but its easy to drop grades when panicking under time and stress of exams and its a mainly exam based subject or the worst no coursework or modules and just full exam. Plus I dislike exams.
tiger_vio
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Umm.
I HATE settling for B's, but when i goto a crap school, a B is like a godsend.
Id cry if i didnt get an A* in ict, because im the best in the year, have excelled at it since a young age, got full marks in coursework, etc.
However i'd be overjoyed with a b in stats, seeing as i only started the course in september and had one hour lesson a week of it.
Im trying to prepare myself for a b in maths, cos paper 1 went so bad *sigh*. God damnit, why does maths ALWAYS let me down? Im also trying to avoid b's in art & science- it could go either way for me. I could get 4 b's from doub art & science, or 4 a's. I have no clue yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (356)
37.63%
No - but I will (74)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (66)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (450)
47.57%

Watched Threads