St Hildas Watch

Feefifofum
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by LauraWalker)
looking at the above posts about virginity- I bet an all girls college is a bee hive for those boys although that is not really what Oxford is about for me. Living away from home will be absolutely fantastic, I was hoping to live in halls.
It's better than living in mixed halls - no boys leaving the seat up or not cleaning out the shower :p:

Seriously, it is a lovely place to live. Feel free to PM me with any questions, although O don't know so much about the MCR (grad students).
Feefifofum
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bekaboo)
Jaqueline du Pre (no I'm not Hilda's obsessed - she's one of the few cellists I know and their concert hall is called the Jacqueline du Pre building )
That's right, but I have a feeling she's an honourary fellow. Can't remember off the top of my head.
tenjon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Feefifofum)
That's right, but I have a feeling she's an honourary fellow. Can't remember off the top of my head.
Or was an honourary fellow...lol :p:
Feefifofum
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by tom391)
Oh, pedant! :p:
Lady Narcissus
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I play women's ice hockey so I am hoping to join that club (geez more girls he he) I also do taekwondo but I am worried about fitting it all in. As Poorbear says I am only at Oxford 9 months- wish it was longer
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
(Original post by tom391)
She died in her prime
F1 fanatic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by LauraWalker)
I play women's ice hockey so I am hoping to join that club (geez more girls he he) I also do taekwondo but I am worried about fitting it all in. As Poorbear says I am only at Oxford 9 months- wish it was longer
You could try joining the mens team if you wanted :p:, but I think you can find lots of other societies and interests that involve guys
Queen_A
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Feefifofum)
Hear hear. Hilda's is what you want to make of it, just as any other college. If you want to only have female friends, or never leave college, then you have that option, but there's nothing forcing it on you. Of course people at this college have more female friends than male, the nature of the college system is such that you get to know more people in college than outside of it. That doesn't mean that you don't know any blokes, though, or have friends outside of college.
I agree with Feef completely. At first I was unsure about accepting Hilda's because I'm currently at all girls' school, and although I love it, I wanted something different for university. I then realised that it can be just like any other college, and although I may actually turn out to be a man-fearing freak (it actually disorientates me when there are guys in the common room ) I think I am perfectly comfortable in that kind of setting, so much so that I barely notice.
The reason for this mini-rant is to stress that lots of girls are probably just as anxious, and so therefore are all more likely to make more of an effort socially. I think Feef also pretty accurate in stressing that you can make more of an effort to have male friends, which could make all the difference.
And we're more likely to have hygienic living conditions!
Cirsium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The way I see it is this
I have the friends I live with
I have football / hockey / rowing friends (from college)
I have musical friends (from college)
I have musical friends (from OUPhil / Turl Street / Into the Woods etc etc)
I have subject friends (mostly from Pembroke, others at ChCh and LMH)
I have friends of friends

In other words I have a lot of different groups of friends and generally the ones I get on best with are the ones from rowing, and from things like Into the Woods - i.e. the ones who I made because we have similar interests. It's good to have friends to come home to but it's also good to have similar interest friends who, chances are, will be from outside your own college anyway.

Also, I know it's not nearly the same scale but back home ALL my best friends bar one are male. I mean there are girls I hang out with periodically but we rarely saw each other outside of school etc - so I was dreading having to live with 5 girls here. Turns out actually I love it.
Hellz
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Someone my Dad knows who went to St Hilda's was saying that it was great cos you could go out with lots of guys at the same time and they never found out that you were cheating on them... not that I'd condone that or anything :rolleyes:
tenjon
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bekaboo)
The way I see it is this
I have the friends I live with
I have football / hockey / rowing friends (from college)
I have musical friends (from college)
I have musical friends (from OUPhil / Turl Street / Into the Woods etc etc)
I have subject friends (mostly from Pembroke, others at ChCh and LMH)
I have friends of friends
As in the Sondheim musical? I've done that! My school did that a few years ago, I played in the band. Took it to the Edinburgh Fringe, was really good. It's very clever musically, but I found the music pretty damn boring tbh!

What was the company that you performed it with?
Cirsium
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Primavera joined forces with Musicals of Oxford
I was very lucky to be in there: we had an amazing cast
http://www.musicalsofoxford.co.uk/ItW/Cast/
Probably the best director in Oxford and we got absolutely sterling reviews:
http://www.dailyinfo.co.uk/reviews/f...Into+the+Woods
http://www.cherwell.org/arts/stage/i...t_night_review

Not that I'm proud or anything...
PDJM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There is much college snobbery about- and personally it is unmerited; neither does being at Hilda's confine your social group in any way. University societies are full of members of different colleges, and you will appreciate being in a different college to your course friends since formal swopping is a great activity.

As a current BCL myself, I can assure you that for the course teaching is centrally run, unlike undergraduates all of the lectures, seminars and tutorials are run by the Faculty- so which college you are at does not affect your academic experience. At the postgraduate level Colleges are more social groupings outside of work, and the level to which a College "includes" its graduate students can vary greatly. One of the crucial differences is how close to the College graduate students live, and thus how often they use College facilities and feel they are part of the student body. I have been very lucky in the integration of graduates at my present College, I am led to believe Hilda’s is good in this regard since some of the graduate housing is very close indeed (many colleges send their graduates a long way away).
Lady Narcissus
Rep:
?
I was really hoping to live in halls. Is there good provision for this?
Feefifofum
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There is for undergrads, but I don't know about the MCR. You could email the MCR and ask about it?
MikeyB!
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
ooooh Bekaboo, Into the Woods was FANTASTIC, loved it Congrats for such an enjoyable performance.
Cirsium
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hehe wow I haven't been on TSR in 3 weeks and I come back to find that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads