Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Some say he is, others say he's not due to one of his quotes? What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    well, considering marxism is derived from his name, and his ideologies created marxism... i'd guess he is.

ReputationRep:
    Can you refer to this 'quote', so we can see?

ReputationRep:
    Well I stumbled across this video :

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ndExF776Hus
    I saw a comment claiming that karl Marx wasn't actually a Marxist so I went to research if this was actually true

The only quote I came across was...

What is known as ‘Marxism’ in France is, indeed, an altogether peculiar product — so much so that Marx once said to Lafargue: ‘Ce qu’il y a de certain c’est que moi, je ne suis pas Marxiste.’ [If anything is certain, it is that I myself am not a Marxist]

Engels, Letter to Eduard Bernstein (1882)

http://askville.amazon.com/Karl-Marx...estId=66122103

ReputationRep:
    What he meant by this quote was that he was not "a Marxist" in the way some of his "followers" had understood and interpreted his ideas.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.