Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I know you're supposed to have '8 glasses of water a day' or what not. But then some people claim that you don't actually have to drink anything because you get enough liquid from the food you eat to be sufficient so you therefore don't actually have to drink anything at all. But how much is the 'average' teenager/adult supposed to drink...
    I've always drunk (I'm talking about water and squash and juice here) a lot (since I was 3) and it's rare for me to not have a drink near by. But I'm drinking in excess of 6 pints of liquid a day (and then I drink even more in the summer). If this too much? And is it dangerous? Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    As long as it isn't toxic no it isn't dangerous as your body just flushes out what it doesn't use. If you are drinking lots because you are constantly thirsty then I would be concerned.

I have always agreed with the idea that: Your body tells you your thirty because it needs fluid. Drinking 8 glasses of water when you aren't thirsty because that's what you think your body should have is a farce. If your body needs it, it will tell you. When the need becomes excessive, that's when you should question what is happening in your body that requires so much fluid.

e.g. a symptom of diabetes is being thirsty/drinking a lot.

does that make sense? lol

That makes sense, yes.
    I've had one 'test' for diabetes a couple of years ago (urine sample - I had and still have doubts that actually did anything/ was able to pick something up) because I fitted some of the symptoms for it (tired, and cuts took a long time to heal up etc - they still do now), but it came back negative. I'm drinking that much because my body is 'telling me' I'm thirsty... My teachers and friends often pick it up saying it's odd that 'I drink so much' as I have been known to drink a litre of water in an hour's lesson (and then still need another drink). But my family don't know any different, as they think its strange for me to not have a drink...

ReputationRep:
    not too good for your kidneys, thats for sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine.

RIP. I am in my month of mourning.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.