Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Got yellow teeth and suffer from gum disease. What can I do? Watch

Hi,

I'm 19 and I have yellow teeth and suffer from gum disease.

Whos fault? My fault! My parents told me to brush my teeth properly but I never did.

After going university I realized how bad having yellow teeth really was!

I haven't been to the dentist in years!

What can I do without visiting the dentist? Am I legible for free treatment and so on?

I really want to get rid of the gum disease.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The best thing you can do right now is go out and buy some Corsodyl mouthwash for the gum disease (gingivitis). It will help massively, discoloured teeth is fine - it's not a health problem. Gum disease is.

I think the corsodyl treatment for gum disease lasts 4 weeks, which is 2 bottles worth of mouthwash. You'll genuinely see a magnificent improvement with the health of your gums.

There's no point paying to see a dentist before hand because they'll only tell you to do this. Book to see them at the end of the 4 weeks and explain to them that you've had issues with gum disease and want an opinion on the overall health of your gums/teeth.

Once, and only once, your gum disease is gone and they are properly healed should you look about teeth-whitening. Any bleaches etc... used beforehand will worsen the gum disease and your teeth will literally fall out. For any radical improvement your only choice is to use bleaches. Ask the dentist about your concerns of discoloured teeth whilst your there.

So really;
    1) Follow the Corsodyl treatment for gum disease for 4 weeks
    2) See dentist after the 4 weeks treatment
    3) Ask dentist about current overall oral health and options for whitening

ReputationRep:
    You may have cavities that you don't know of that may need filling. Check your teeth, do you see any dark/black spots? Those are holes in your teeth where the tooth has started to decay. If left, it can grow in size and lead to eventual tooth loss.

If you do see brown spots, particularly in your molars, this could simply be staining and not a cavity; your dentist will be able to tell the difference.

This means that you must visit a dentist so they can give you a thorough examination. You may also be referred to a dental hygienist who can help by removing plaque/tartar.

In the mean time, corsodyl is available over the counter, and is available in different varieties such as mint, non-alcoholic, etc. It's usually recommended to be taken once a day, 10ml for a month. The first few tries may be difficult as it's quite bitter and gives a sensation of fizzing in the mouth.

Gum disease like gingivitis can be reversed simply by following good oral hygiene, so all is not lost and there is no need to panic.

Invest in a new toothbrush, and make sure you're brushing 3 times a day, for at least 2 minutes.

Flossing may be a little bit too soon for you, but once you feel that the amount of blood from your gums is under control after brushing, you may want to start that as well. Boots sell floss sticks that are extremely easy to use and disposable. This will allow you to get in between your teeth, where a toothbrush can't go.

ReputationRep:
    I have another dental related question - my teeth are starting to feel loose - can anything be done to make them firmer? I think my teeth/gums are in a worse state then OP's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    I have another dental related question - my teeth are starting to feel loose - can anything be done to make them firmer? I think my teeth/gums are in a worse state then OP's
    That's a symptom of gum disease. Have you been told you have it by your dentist? See Rybee's post above. The key things to remember are a)corsodyl and b) floss

ReputationRep:
    As Ash said, that's a sign of periodontitis. Which is advanced gingivitis (gum disease), which usually ends in your gums eroding away so much that your teeth are no longer stable. To be honest I don't think you can repair/replace the gum, but you can stop it in its tracks if you treat it correctly.

Periodontitis really is a matter of urgency and you should see the dentist ASAP. Your teeth will literally fall out and there's no going back.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, it's important not to panic. Sometimes your teeth may feel like they're moving, even if they're not. This is because when we press against it with the tip of our fingers, the movement we feel is actually the flesh in our fingers.

Having said that, there is a clear difference between being mislead by your finger and clear signs of tooth movement.

Just to be on the safe side, let's assume it's the latter. It's possible that your gums have eroded and therefore have left a less stable base for your teeth. You can help by reducing the damage, which would require you immediately start good oral hygiene practices (such as those listed above).

It's also vital that you visit a dentist, and tell them of your condition so they can see you as soon as possible. Simple brushing, mouthwash, floss etc won't fix this, but it will help you reduce the damage done.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to have dentures at an age of 19, go on and don't brush your teeth! But for sake of your own life, go to see a dentist. I was scared of going to a dentist because of costs and now from cavity it developed into needing a long root canal treatment which will take at least 3 visits. I would do anything if I could have nice white smile but that's not going to happen because of genetics I got from my grandmother an issue with cavities :sad: Been to dentists for about 20 times and probably there will be a 30th time somewhere in the future..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.