Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why so many first aid questions on the theory test? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing some mock tests and practice questions for my theory test (booked for the 25th April) and the first aid questions are really throwing me. Am I really supposed to know how long to treat a burn for, or how to treat people for shock?

This tells me that drivers have some kind of legal obligation to provide first aid at the scene of an accident. Can anyone shed some light on this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fjarskafinn)
    I've been doing some mock tests and practice questions for my theory test (booked for the 25th April) and the first aid questions are really throwing me. Am I really supposed to know how long to treat a burn for, or how to treat people for shock?

This tells me that drivers have some kind of legal obligation to provide first aid at the scene of an accident. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Basic first aid is something everyone should be trained in or aware of. The fact that driving has the potential for more risk than not driving I feel justifies the inclusion for first aid. If you were to be involved in, or witness, an accident than you should try to help in whatever way you can without being a hindrance to the situation.

Although, as far as I am aware, there is no legal obligation to help, there seems to be a moral obligation. You wouldn't want to let someone suffer would you? First aid can vastly improve someone's chance of survival whilst waiting for other help, such as paramedics, to arrive.

Just make sure you read up on some basic first aid and if you are concerned about the first aid questions, focus a lot more on them so you are more aware of what will be asked and how to answer them.

This website might also be of some help to you:http://www.2pass.co.uk/firstaid.htm#.UWSI7lfS-K0

ReputationRep:
    I had no first aid questions at all - in mocks or the real one. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a firm believer that everyone should know basic first aid. Especially if you're in control of a hefty vehicle that could cause serious damage!
    I did a First Aid course in December that covered all the same stuff as a theory test.
    I think it's good stuff to know, whether you feel you need it or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshalos)
    Basic first aid is something everyone should be trained in or aware of. The fact that driving has the potential for more risk than not driving I feel justifies the inclusion for first aid. If you were to be involved in, or witness, an accident than you should try to help in whatever way you can without being a hindrance to the situation.

Although, as far as I am aware, there is no legal obligation to help, there seems to be a moral obligation. You wouldn't want to let someone suffer would you? First aid can vastly improve someone's chance of survival whilst waiting for other help, such as paramedics, to arrive.

Just make sure you read up on some basic first aid and if you are concerned about the first aid questions, focus a lot more on them so you are more aware of what will be asked and how to answer them.

This website might also be of some help to you:http://www.2pass.co.uk/firstaid.htm#.UWSI7lfS-K0
    Thanks, this is really useful!

(Original post by Dusky Mauve)
    I'm a firm believer that everyone should know basic first aid. Especially if you're in control of a hefty vehicle that could cause serious damage!
    I did a First Aid course in December that covered all the same stuff as a theory test.
    I think it's good stuff to know, whether you feel you need it or not
    I agree, it's good stuff to know. I just wondered if it was a legal part of being a driver. Thanks for the reply!

ReputationRep:
    I did my theory last summer, and quite a few of my questions were first aid based, so I'd recommend reading up on things like shock, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    It seems to me like the first aid questions on the theory test are more geared towards instructing you what not to do, e.g. moving someone with a broken leg, rather than serious instruction. It's definitely a good idea, botched first aid is more likely to harm someone compared to simply leaving them alone. Might make someone think twice before doing something that, although well-intentioned, could cause further harm.

ReputationRep:
    There is a really useful DSA app which tells you everything you need to know. It's on iTunes but not sure about Google Play. It has a section on first aid I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fjarskafinn)
    Blame the EU third directive. The DSA don't just make things up themselves; they have to follow guidelines to ensure harmonisation across European member states.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.