C1 C2 - How did it go? Watch

CalculusMan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How did people get tan x = 1/5 when the question was to show than tan x = 5 (they told you what it was in the question!)
kexy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by chemistryman)
well i have to agree that c1 was ok but c2 was much better. I made silly mistakes like getting tan 1/5 by not thinking properly but i got the method right definetely.

On c1 btw what did people draw as graphs with k as constant, that just confused me???
On C2 i ****ed up on the logs question forgetting the log laws, but hey i am on a gap year so will retake
Also on C1 the sequences question OMG i just couldnt do it, why couldnt they give a nice sequence. EVen on c2 it werent great, but still it was better than c1, i got the c2 one. C1 though i still dont know how to do it i tried so many things and just gave up in desperation i literally went through the first 6 questions of c1 in like 20 minutes then got stopped in at q.7!!!! grrr damn

Anyway must start to revise for C3 & C4 AHHHHHHHHH
for the graph question and K
i think yew just moved the graph up by k, so instead of crossing the y axis at 9, it crossed at 9+k

thats right aint it?

oh and the C1 sequences, you just had to work them out the good old fashioned way, for the first one at lease anyway

mike_J
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by MrTrig)
How did people get tan x = 1/5 when the question was to show than tan x = 5 (they told you what it was in the question!)
i think that refers to part a of the question.

where you were asked to find sin(theta) = 5cos(theta) in terms of tan, i guess if you thought tan was cos/sin that you'd make 1/5 = tan(theta)
Pure T
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by porter2002)
for the graph question and K
i think yew just moved the graph up by k, so instead of crossing the y axis at 9, it crossed at 9+k

thats right aint it?

oh and the C1 sequences, you just had to work them out the good old fashioned way, for the first one at lease anyway

Yeh think i did that with k, although i just put coords as 0, k ??? so maybe im wrong
Pure T
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What did u ppl get for the sum of question on C1?? How did u do it ?
CalculusMan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by mike_J)

where you were asked to find sin(theta) = 5cos(theta) in terms of tan, i guess if you thought tan was cos/sin that you'd make 1/5 = tan(theta)
But if you got tan x = 1/5 and the question said show tan x = 5, then you would know you were wrong and then realised that it was sin/cos ?
Berto90
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago

I really have to question the motivation of anyone who goes into the exam without knowing the basic trig equations such as tan = sin/cos :rolleyes:

Also, Find the value of log 6 to 36 was about the easiest question ever invented! Even if you don't see the answer is 2 then you can just do change of base and work it out....
theoneandonly
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But if you got tan x = 1/5 and the question said show tan x = 5, then you would know you were wrong and then realised that it was sin/cos ?
the question only said to find what tan x was, it didnt atcually say 5, so some people may have got 1/5.
CalculusMan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
No it didn't, the question said show that tan x = 5
FisherJ
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
No it didn't, the question said show that tan x = 5

Nope Im afraid.
Its asking to show what tan theta was.
Not show that tan theta = 5
CalculusMan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm pretty sure that my paper said show that tan theta = 5.

Does no one else remember this?
mike_J
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
there was 2 parts to the question i think, the first as i said above, then the second was 'hence find tan(theta)=5'
Astudentinneed
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Berto90)
I really have to question the motivation of anyone who goes into the exam without knowing the basic trig equations such as tan = sin/cos :rolleyes:

Also, Find the value of log 6 to 36 was about the easiest question ever invented! Even if you don't see the answer is 2 then you can just do change of base and work it out....

wait, it was 2????

i may have put6 by accident

:eek:
Lykabelle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

I dont recall tan theta=5 being part of the question. I think it just said for part (b) hence or otherwise solve sin theta=5cos theta- something like that. My friend got tan theta= 1/5 so that made me panic a little bit because I thought I misread the question.
CalculusMan
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
there was 2 parts to the question i think, the first as i said above, then the second was 'hence find tan(theta)=5'
Either I'm going mad because I'm sure it was something like:

sin theta = 5 cos theta

a) Show than tan theta = 5
b) Hence solve sin theta = 5 cos theta in the interval 0 <= theta <= 360
Champagne Breakfast
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

You're right. I read it wrong first time round, then realised it said tan theta = 5 (I think we all must have been expecting it to say what is the value of theta).
Lykabelle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

sin theta = 5 cos theta

the first question just asked to put sin theta=5cos theta in terms of tan. The second part had no mention of tan theta=5. Maybe i'm wrong but i still got tan theta=5.
Troyes
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago

sin theta = 5 cos theta

Nope, it was,

a) Find the value of tan theta
Troyes
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
'm sorry to gloat but Core 2 was just TOOOOOO EASY. I'm quite sure I've got about 90% if not about 95%. I just can't believe how straightforward it was compared to last year (I'm doing a resit)

Hope the rest of my exams are the same!
Troyes
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
oh...and what did people get for the least value of n question? I got n=2...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (552)
37.81%
No - but I will (115)
7.88%
No - I don't want to (102)
6.99%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.33%

Watched Threads