The Student Room Group

Getting a job as an international student.

Do you think it is difficult to get a job in UK if you are an international student? Especially in technology? Computer Science et al ?

Original post by Psyk
xx

I saw a post you made about careers in technology, do you know if most british firms hire international students for tech?
Reply 1
International student as in non-EU?

I think generally any company will hire the best person for the job. If you have the right to work in the UK, I think it's illegal for them to discriminate against you based on your nationality. However if you need them to sponsor you to be able to work here, it means you might have to go further than the average candidate to prove that you are worth it to them.

Where I work, I reckon about 30-40% are not from the UK. However the vast majority of them are from the EU.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Psyk
International student as in non-EU?

I think generally any company will hire the best person for the job. If you have the right to work in the UK, I think it's illegal for them to discriminate against you based on your nationality. However if you need them to sponsor you to be able to work here, it means you might have to go further than the average candidate to prove that you are worth it to them.

Where I work, I reckon about 30-40% are not from the UK. However the vast majority of them are from the EU.

Yup non-eu. In the CISCO website it says that they dont sponsor non-eu students. If a large company like CISCO is not doing it I wander what the smaller firms are doing...
Reply 3
Original post by Psyk

Also how do you reckon someone can stand out for the computer science jobs that pay 30/35k+, for games programming or iOS development etc.?
Reply 4
Original post by htc one s
Yup non-eu. In the CISCO website it says that they dont sponsor non-eu students. If a large company like CISCO is not doing it I wander what the smaller firms are doing...

Really? That does surprise me. I guess for them to sponsor someone they will have to have proved themselves with experience rather than being a graduate.

Original post by htc one s
Also how do you reckon someone can stand out for the computer science jobs that pay 30/35k+, for games programming or iOS development etc.?

That's pretty high starting salary for the games industry (couldn't tell you about others). Maybe in London some companies might consider that. But I wouldn't count on it. The best way to impress is to work on games in your spare time. Show them that you can make games.

Quick Reply

Latest