Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are most people 17 or 18 when they start uni?

ReputationRep:
    Haha well I don't really know, but I'm gonna be 19 :P

ReputationRep:
    I work in a halls of residence there and that generally seems to be the age. Even if they aren't they are really friendly so you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kilted Kiwi)
    Haha well I don't really know, but I'm gonna be 19 :P
    Well you aren't alone, I turn 20 in November and I'll be a first year St Andrews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe J)
    Well you aren't alone, I turn 20 in November and I'll be a first year St Andrews.
    I'm not 20 until February... but I still feel scarily old :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kilted Kiwi)
    I'm not 20 until February... but I still feel scarily old :P
    I'll also be 19 when starting and 20 in Feb! But yeah I've been worried about starting older..

ReputationRep:
    Still can't believe you Brits. Putting children into university! As if you knew what you want to do
    for the rest of your life at any age younger than 20/21.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    Still can't believe you Brits. Putting children into university! As if you knew what you want to do
    But the Scottish Uni system is 4 years, and you don't have to choose your Honours concentrations for your final degree until 3rd year, when you are 20/21

ReputationRep:
    gonna be 19

ReputationRep:
    hahaha So what age do German parents put their children to colleges?
    Kommen Sie aus Deutschland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixbabyQ)
    Kommen Sie aus Deutschland?
    Yep.

hahaha So what age do German parents put their children to colleges?
    It used to be 21/22 when the military or social service year was still mandatory, nowadays most people are 20/21 when they start university. A much better age for making life-defining decisions.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

It used to be 21/22 when the military or social service year was still mandatory, nowadays most people are 20/21 when they start university. A much better age for making life-defining decisions.
    That's what I'm thinking about! Should have go to Germany for my undergraduate! Are you studying in St. Andrews?

ReputationRep:
    Are you studying in St. Andrews?
    Nope. Look at the signature under my first post in the thread.

ReputationRep:
    So I won't be the only 20 years-old fresher around! Good to know!

ReputationRep:
    Age really isn't an issue here! The only real problem is some of the Scottish students are still 17 when they start so they can't legally drink. This can cause problems in some places, I know of a girl who got banned from the Union for a few months after being caught drinking there. But as for the oldies, it doesn't make a difference. It's not like at school when you can easily tell age. I know I was worried about coming here because of the age gap thing but honestly it didn't make a difference. There are loads of students who went on gap years and an absolute tonne of American JSA's who are all around 21.

So don't worry if you're convinced you're gonna be the oldest one at Freshers', I can guarantee no one will notice

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I'm only going to be 17 so this should be interesting

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't really matter, although being 17 would suck.

ReputationRep:
    Why? It's not like you miss anything...

ReputationRep:
    My friendship group in first year ranged from age 16 to 23. Once you start joining societies, age doesn't really become an issue, there doesn't seem to be a massive difference in people depending on what age they are. Most people in my year were 17-19, but there are plenty of people of other ages too, and if you really want to mix with people of exactly your own age, there will be people in other year groups/classes your age. But in St Andrews there's a good mix between year groups, especially due to academic families, so you probably won't find yourself just having first year friends when you arrive.

I'm going to be 17 and won't be 18 til the end of January. Hopefully that won't be too bad!! I always end up feeling young around my year mates!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.