Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering if any current students could give me some advice. I'm currently clueless about what course I want to do out of medicine, biomed and nursing. I was originally keen on medicine but now, seeing the work my sister is currently doing (she is in her first year of medicine), I'm quite put off! I understand and knew it was hard work but the work just looks completely boring. For this reason I'm now swinging towards doing nursing as I understand it involves slightly more practical work and the course looks good too. Any help, advice and opinions of any of the courses would be much appreciated Nicole

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you get some work experience and see which job you like the look of more?

ReputationRep:
    I'm shadowing an anaesthetist in June for a week and then spending a week on a ward too. I've also just applied for voluntary work at a care home so I'm hoping all of this will give me a better idea I was just starting to worry as June is a while away and there's the UKCAT I'd have to get done if I chose medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you are bright enough to do medicine - then you will regret doing nursing. It is a hard and unrewarding job most of the time.

Why don't you consider just doing a straight science then you can get a job in industry

ReputationRep:
    That was actually one of my worries, that nursing wouldn't be academically challenging enough. As for the industry, it's really not for me because I'm more of a people person but it's a good idea though :/ I reckon if policing wasn't so unstable by the fact they're making people redundant rather than hiring, I'd go for that. Either way I do want to do a degree though as it provides you with something to fall back on and the whole experience of uni is a must :L I'm thinking a 3 year degree would be better, that way if I suddenly decide medicine is what I've always wanted then I can go on as a graduate not liking all these decisions one bit!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    If you are bright enough to do medicine - then you will regret doing nursing.
    People who do nursing and regret it do so because nursing isn't right for them, not because they're bright enough for medicine so should have chosen that! Some people actually prefer nursing to medicine- they are very different roles, each rewarding in their own way. I have the academic ability & qualifications for medicine but you could not pay me enough to be a doctor. I'm very happy to have chosen nursing

To the OP, experience is key, along with research. Find out exactly what the differences are between medicine & nursing & consider carefully which role you would prefer, then getting caring and shadowing experience should help you make up your mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 001458nicole)
    That was actually one of my worries, that nursing wouldn't be academically challenging enough. As for the industry, it's really not for me because I'm more of a people person but it's a good idea though :/ I reckon if policing wasn't so unstable by the fact they're making people redundant rather than hiring, I'd go for that. Either way I do want to do a degree though as it provides you with something to fall back on and the whole experience of uni is a must :L I'm thinking a 3 year degree would be better, that way if I suddenly decide medicine is what I've always wanted then I can go on as a graduate not liking all these decisions one bit!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I do straight science, and in the end I will probably work in a hospital lab. I'm on a placement year at the moment, working in a food lab so it's unrelated, but a few of my friends got places in hospitals. They have patient contact, to take bloods and things (not sure what else, I didn't ask!) but then they go and do the testing in the background so perhaps you could look into that? It's a bit of both.

For what it's worth, the lab I work in has a very social atmosphere and everyone's nice and has a laugh, so it's not like if you go into industry you'll never see another person again!

ReputationRep:
    Dont forget to look at other 'health care' areas like Speech Therapy, Physio, Community or Public Health etc. Sometimes that can be a better fit that straight Nursing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 001458nicole)
    I'm shadowing an anaesthetist in June for a week and then spending a week on a ward too. I've also just applied for voluntary work at a care home so I'm hoping all of this will give me a better idea I was just starting to worry as June is a while away and there's the UKCAT I'd have to get done if I chose medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'll still have plenty of time to do the UKCAT if you wait until June to decide.

I think waiting until you've done your work experience and been in the care home to decide is a good idea, at the moment you don't really know what each job entails so it's hard to choose between them, but once you're in that environment you'll get a much better feel of whether it's for you or not.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for he help and advice everyone, much appreciated it's also nice to hear Amabel that there is people who choose nursing over medicine despite being academically clever enough to do it I was slightly worried that I would be going lower than what I can achieve but actually you're right. The roles of each job entitle different things so maybe medicine isn't actually what I want! We will soon find out in June anyway :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    HI sorry but what is biomedicine im really confused?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beepbe)
    HI sorry but what is biomedicine im really confused?
    It's a science degree, usually with a combination of lectures and labs, focussing on medical sciences. It won't qualify you to work as a doctor, but some biomedical degrees will qualify you to work as an NHS biomedical scientist.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of doing Biomedicine, but I looking for a job in Health Promotion and Public health. I worried about the amount of lab work in Biomed, as though I can do it I've got a bit of a fear of it. I worried because its a really late time to have decided. I thought you had to be a Doctor and take Med for Pub]live health/Health policy and though I'm good I don't think I have the Intellectual ablity or Stamina!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soontobesuper)
    I'm thinking of doing Biomedicine, but I looking for a job in Health Promotion and Public health. I worried about the amount of lab work in Biomed, as though I can do it I've got a bit of a fear of it. I worried because its a really late time to have decided. I thought you had to be a Doctor and take Med for Pub]live health/Health policy and though I'm good I don't think I have the Intellectual ablity or Stamina!
    You can do undergraduate degrees in public health:

http://search.ucas.com/search/result...In=2014&page=1

You do not need to be a clinican to work in that field (although it helps), and many people working there do the MPH (Master of Public):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profess...United_Kingdom

http://www.fph.org.uk/eligibility

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know this is going to sound crazy but I have applied for Medicine and received 3 offers...I chose one as my firm and one as my insurance and have now completed my A Levels. I feel I have met the conditional offer although I now want to study Biomed instead. Shall I contact universities or do I have to wait until clearing? I have thought this through and really want to study Biomed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amabel)
    People who do nursing and regret it do so because nursing isn't right for them, not because they're bright enough for medicine so should have chosen that! Some people actually prefer nursing to medicine- they are very different roles, each rewarding in their own way. I have the academic ability & qualifications for medicine but you could not pay me enough to be a doctor. I'm very happy to have chosen nursing

To the OP, experience is key, along with research. Find out exactly what the differences are between medicine & nursing & consider carefully which role you would prefer, then getting caring and shadowing experience should help you make up your mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What attracted you to nursing and not medicine just out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by science-oliver)
    What attracted you to nursing and not medicine just out of interest?
    I'm more interested in the holistic care that nurses provide-looking at *all* the patient's needs and not just their diagnosis/medical concerns. I know doctors do some of that as well, but nursing is built around it, whereas medicine is primarily concerned with diagnosis and treatment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nursing involves a lot of fairly boring stuff too (nurses have to do a ridiculous amount of paperwork, clinical auditing etc), from what I've heard from the nursing students I see at work some of their modules sound a bit vague and bureaucratic.

If you want to do biomed then I would make sure that you like chemistry because most biomed courses are really, really heavy on the molecular biology components. I'm biased but I would personally go for medicine - although I have spent the last 2 years working for the NHS and can say that with utter conviction, I wouldn't sign up to the amount of work that it entails if I was anything less than certain.

I probably haven't helped at all - basically to summarise all of the courses you mentioned have their pros and cons and I think you need to get some work experience before considering either Nursing or Medicine because they're really vocational courses and not something that you want to undertake without being sure that it's right for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amabel)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    +1

ReputationRep:
    Im a little bias because I'm doing nursing to be honest lol, but on a serious note, nursing isn't just one area, there are loads of fields within nursing to do. The most broad as you probably know is adult, child, mental and learning disabilities.

Adult is one of the most diverse though (so are the others, but I know the best about adult sorry) you got anything from trauma units, to wound management etc.... And if you really want to mix it up a bit there is even forensic nursing, which isn't too huge yet in the UK but slowly gaining momentum.

To be fair all the ones your looking into are really good, just depends what you prefer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.