Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying economics at a Russell Group university (not Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Imperial or UCL) and not enjoying the course at all. I mean I get on with all of my flat mates but don't really know or talk to many people on my course. I think it's this reason that I perhaps haven't got on with the course very well and so have next to no motivation to do work.

I have always been very aware of where my degree would take me and applied for many spring weeks, but the closest I got to one was just one unsuccessful assessment centre (with no feedback; thanks for that). No spring week and not getting on with the course will means I'll be going into penultimate year summer internship applications with possibly a 40 or 50% first year average (that's if I pass my first year exams) and no relevant experience, which makes the task of getting a summer internship seem nearly impossible.

So I was thinking of dropping out of uni, but not just for these reasons. I feel like my university's reputation is hindering me in getting internships which ultimately lead to jobs. I feel that if I quit uni and applied to do a slightly different university and course, such as accounting and finance, that I would get on a lot better with it as I have come to find economics very abstract and quite tedious. Accounting and finance seems much more relevant, especially given my career goals.

This means I'd have to take a gap year and reapply next year which means completing another UCAS form (which was far from enjoyable the first time around). There's also no guarantee that I'll get any offers, although with A-Level grades:

Maths A*
    Economics A
    Business A

I do think I'd be capable of challenging for a place at a higher placed uni, especially seeing as I have already obtained my A-Levels.

There is also the issue of getting out of my second year housing contract that I've already signed, and the issue of thinking "this year's £9K tuition and £4K loan has been a waste of money that is just going to add to my eventual mountain of debt". But I suppose if I had a gap year I could work and earn money to pay my housing contract if I couldn't get out of it.

There are so many things that I wish I'd done before uni and so wish that I'd had a gap year to not rush into it.

Any thoughts or people in a similar situation?

Am I just being rash?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paper-may)
    I'm currently studying economics at a Russell Group university (not Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Warwick, Imperial or UCL) and not enjoying the course at all. I mean I get on with all of my flat mates but don't really know or talk to many people on my course. I think it's this reason that I perhaps haven't got on with the course very well and so have next to no motivation to do work.

I have always been very aware of where my degree would take me and applied for many spring weeks, but the closest I got to one was just one unsuccessful assessment centre (with no feedback; thanks for that). No spring week and not getting on with the course will means I'll be going into penultimate year summer internship applications with possibly a 40 or 50% first year average (that's if I pass my first year exams) and no relevant experience, which makes the task of getting a summer internship seem nearly impossible.

So I was thinking of dropping out of uni, but not just for these reasons. I feel like my university's reputation is hindering me in getting internships which ultimately lead to jobs. I feel that if I quit uni and applied to do a slightly different university and course, such as accounting and finance, that I would get on a lot better with it as I have come to find economics very abstract and quite tedious. Accounting and finance seems much more relevant, especially given my career goals.

This means I'd have to take a gap year and reapply next year which means completing another UCAS form (which was far from enjoyable the first time around). There's also no guarantee that I'll get any offers, although with A-Level grades:

Maths A*
    Economics A
    Business A

I do think I'd be capable of challenging for a place at a higher placed uni, especially seeing as I have already obtained my A-Levels.

There is also the issue of getting out of my second year housing contract that I've already signed, and the issue of thinking "this year's £9K tuition and £4K loan has been a waste of money that is just going to add to my eventual mountain of debt". But I suppose if I had a gap year I could work and earn money to pay my housing contract if I couldn't get out of it.

There are so many things that I wish I'd done before uni and so wish that I'd had a gap year to not rush into it.

Am I just being rash?
    Appears a little bit rash just reading through it the first time. Are you able to attend some accounting and finance lectures at your university to see if you would enjoy the course? (or does your university not offer the course/lectures have finished for exams).

I personally don't think spring weeks are a good indicators of whether you are capable of getting into banking or not. As I said in your other thread, I was rejected without interview by all 10 banks I applied to. Spring weeks are very competitive in my opinion, with very few banks offering them, and not a very big number of places at each bank. Summer internships are offered by a higher number of banks ie: Macquarie, SocGen, Commerzbank, Lazard, Greenhill, Rothschild and many more smaller middle market and boutique banks offer summer internships. Plus those that do offer spring weeks will tend to take a higher number of summer interns I believe.

Have you tried to pick up other work experience, extra-curriculars etc? And worked on your interview technique?

I personally think that I would be in a worse position now if I had secured a spring week than I am now. Getting rejected all those times prompted me to fill my CV with lots of experience and extra-curriculars, and work really hard on my interview technique.

At the end of the day, only you can really decide what is the best action to take. You may have done everything you think you can do to secure internships and be studying at a complete non-target like Liverpool, Newcastle, Leeds etc, or you may be studying at Bristol or Durham and done nothing this year in terms of CV building and reading up on the industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paper-may)

Maths A*
    Economics A
    Business A

Am I just being rash?
    By the sounds of things you have already made your mind up about it. I dropped out a few months ago because I didn't feel that the course was the right choice for me. But it sounds like you have a plan if you do drop out, which I didn't.
    Surprisingly talking to my parents about it helped me a lot. I was afraid of letting them down about dropping out.
    I'm not trying to persuade you to do it. Just really think about long and hard about your future. I wish you all the best in whatever decision you make.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    don't you have at least a month left before your exams start? why don't you try and salvage the situation by studying your ass off and getting at least a 2:2 in first year? Your "oh i'm so going to fail" attitude when there is significant amount of time and opportunity left for you to actually do something about it is plain weak.

and seriously, stop *****ing about spring weeks because spring weeks are jack ****. you just shadow people and do little. it may give you a headstart for internship recruiting next year but just forget about it and focus on your exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by booyakasha)
    don't you have at least a month left before your exams start? why don't you try and salvage the situation by studying your ass off and getting at least a 2:2 in first year? Your "oh i'm so going to fail" attitude when there is significant amount of time and opportunity left for you to actually do something about it is plain weak.

and seriously, stop *****ing about spring weeks because spring weeks are jack ****. you just shadow people and do little. it may give you a headstart for internship recruiting next year but just forget about it and focus on your exams.
    Obviously I am working hard to try and get the best grade possible this year... Good advice though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.