C1 & C2 Aqa Watch

zappydude
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Since it seems like the question of the paper, I got n=50.
I was pleased with this exam, for me it was a resit after having completed C3/C4/FP1/FP2 and it looks like this paper contained an awful lot of calculus and trig, which are completely bashed around in the rest of the single and further courses.

I'm pleased with how it went - better than June 2005 which had waaay too much sequences and series stuff which this didn't!
kazoo
Report 12 years ago
anyway what coefficient did we have to find of the second bracket, was it 8?
dups45
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what did every1 get for the chord and centre of circle question, i dropped a line from the centre through the chord, thus disecting it at the midpoint and you could do pythagoras, got root 2 as the answer i think

i dont think i got the coeffient question right, i got 4800x exactly, no1 else i know has this...although i got the first part of this question right i think
kazoo
Report 12 years ago
yes i also got root 2 as the answer, there was no way you could find the midpoint as you didn't have any coordinates for the chord only the length, but i used pythagoras to find the answer, anyway how did you do the equal roots question, bcos there was two squared terms of x and k??????
bedbug
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kazoo)
squirly, where an earth did you get 20 from?
No, sorry, that's not a 20 that's my lack of being able to put theta. I meant 3 cos squared theta

And that chord one, if you drew it out, gave you a right angled triangle with sides 8 (the chord), root 18 and root 18 (the radii). To get the perpendicular distance between the chord and the centre, you draw a line, which splits this triangle (created by the chord and the radii) in half. You then have two triangles, each with sides 4, root 18 and x (the distance you need to find).

Using Pythagoras you get x^2 = 18 - 16 therefore x = root 2 (I HOPE!!!!)
dups45
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
dunno i just did (3root2)^2 = 4^2 + b^2

you cant have a negative root for a length if thats what you mean
bedbug
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Scott Storch)
No you silly sausage, was on the back of paper 1.
I don't remember at all! What was it like? I know I did it but I don't remember it having a k at all :p:
dups45
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i got root 2 aswell, seems to be the general concensus
kazoo
Report 12 years ago
by the way i got 2288x as a coefficientfor the last binomial question.
can someone PLEASE tell me how they did last question on c1, i managed to show it, but to do equal roots where b2-4ac = 0, how could you when there were two squared terms with NO common factor, which doesn't make it a quadratic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
McStewart
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
on the k one on the back of core one did anyone get an answer, lol i did and someone i know got the same

k= 4 or k= -2 is what i got
McStewart
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the last question on core one, after much work i got down to

4k^2 - 8k - 32

divide by 4 equals

k^2 - 2k -8

factorise

(k-4)(k+2)

k=4 and k=-2
McStewart
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
and for the binomial one i got 4114x, cant really remember how but i did
kazoo
Report 12 years ago
I Got Up To That Stage But You Could Not Have Those 2 As Factors As Both Brackets Were Positive, But It Did Involve A 4 An 2, Well Hopefully I Got Atleast A Mark
bedbug
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
OHHHH I remember now. I got k<-2 or k>4.
dups45
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
i think i got that aswell....it was annoying though becuase ther were4 things to choose from to be a, b, c so i just gessed in the end, looks like i got it right though!
dups45
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
there wasnt anything on inequalities on the paper was there? or did i just miss something?
bedbug
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I thought the last one on C1 was an inequalities one because it asked for equal roots. Isn't that where b^2 - 4ac > 0? I wasnt 100% sure on that one, but I thought it was because it said the range of values for k I think.
dups45
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
what did every1 get as the factors of the polynomial, i think i got (x-3)(x-1)(x) or some variation of the signs, but it was those intergers
kazoo
Report 12 years ago
there were no inequalities so how can the question involve inequalities?
what i want to know is how did you manage to put both x and k into an squared term, as they did not have a common factor, pls can someone answer
dups45
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
equal roots is where it is = 0
no roots b2-4ac< 0
2 roots b2-4ac > 0
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (330)
37.37%
No - but I will (71)
8.04%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (419)
47.45%

Watched Threads