The Student Room Group

Melbourne University or UK universities? Please help!

Hi, I am from Hong Kong and will have to study a foundation course before university. I have a difficult choice between applying for the foundation course at Melbourne University or UK universities. If I go to UK, I would aim at unis like Manchester for the business course. Melbourne U is Australia's top university and has quite a high ranking in the world, but people seem to say that OZ unis aren't that reputable and UK unis are more prestigious. I know Manchester Uni is quite a good uni in UK as well as internationally, but comparing with Oz's top uni, I am not sure how to choose.

Also, other things to consider is the tuition cost. Oz's uni tuition is a lot higher than UK ones although UK has a high living cost. In terms of living, I personally like Europe so going to UK would allow me more chances to travel there, but I would love to live in Oz for the weather and overall city life.

Another thing to consider is that going to the Trinity College's foundation course in Melbourne may allow me to progress into Melbourne Uni easier. If I go to UK, I will most probably go to Bellerbys College which I am not sure which Uni I would end up in depending on my grades. Also, one advantage of Melbourne's foundation course is that I still get time to think clearly what I would want to major in while in UK, I will have to apply for the foundation course that focuses on an area, like business.

My sister is studying in Sydney U and it may be good to go to Oz but it is not a huge factor in this decision. Please help! Thanks!
Reply 1
UK universities might be considered prestigious around the world, but that doesn't mean Australian unis aren't. ANU, Melbourne and Sydney can certainly compete with any university in the UK apart from Oxbridge and maybe LSE/Imperial/UCL.

I would personally consider Melbourne to be more prestigious than Manchester.
Reply 2
Original post by Sir Fox
UK universities might be considered prestigious around the world, but that doesn't mean Australian unis aren't. ANU, Melbourne and Sydney can certainly compete with any university in the UK apart from Oxbridge and maybe LSE/Imperial/UCL.

I would personally consider Melbourne to be more prestigious than Manchester.

Yes I understand Melbourne, Sydney and ANU as Australia's top unis as well as having high rankings in the world might seem appealing but I don't know why people from Hong Kong/Singapore would think they aren't that reputable, even compared to the average UK unis.

If I say in terms of business and finance studies, would Melbourne U be more outstanding compared to business schools of Nottingham/Bath/Durham? I would say from an international perspective.
Reply 3
IMO Melbourne would be a better choice than Nottingham or Durham (particularly for Business) but a worse choice than Bath or Warwick. Not sure about Manchester.
This is an extremely variable judgement though. If you want to live and work in Australia or the surrounding area Melbourne would be hard to beat, whereas if you want to live and work in the UK I'd say any of your UK options would be better.

Plus there's the fact that in the UK there are a handful of unis that overall do relatively poorly but for a course like Business could get you into a top program or graduate scheme like City (specifically Cass).

I'm not a business student so any part of this could be completely wrong, and hopefully someone else will point out if it is, but that's my perspective.
Go to Melbourne - the Foundation course will be much better than anything Bellerbys can offer, you'll be closer to home, there will be more Chinese/HK students there than in Britain - and the course will be more focused on the Asia-Pacific region.
Reply 5
Original post by Eldedu
IMO Melbourne would be a better choice than Nottingham or Durham (particularly for Business) but a worse choice than Bath or Warwick. Not sure about Manchester.
This is an extremely variable judgement though. If you want to live and work in Australia or the surrounding area Melbourne would be hard to beat, whereas if you want to live and work in the UK I'd say any of your UK options would be better.

Plus there's the fact that in the UK there are a handful of unis that overall do relatively poorly but for a course like Business could get you into a top program or graduate scheme like City (specifically Cass).

I'm not a business student so any part of this could be completely wrong, and hopefully someone else will point out if it is, but that's my perspective.

From my friend's opinion, Melbourne really seems to be a better choice. However, I am interested in Marketing/Management (more in International management). Would studying in Australia limit my job opportunities to only in the Asia-pacific market? I mean Asian companies. I would most probably go back to Hong Kong for work if I couldn't find any in Australia/UK. But I think studying in UK has an advantage of having the chance to work with European companies with branches in Hong Kong?
In fact, one of the reasons I am interested in International management is that I could have more opportunities to travel (my passion). Just wondering if studying marketing/management in UK would be more beneficial.
Reply 6
Original post by returnmigrant
Go to Melbourne - the Foundation course will be much better than anything Bellerbys can offer, you'll be closer to home, there will be more Chinese/HK students there than in Britain - and the course will be more focused on the Asia-Pacific region.

In fact I am interested in International management/marketing, would UK be a better choice if studying in Australia would focus a lot more in the Asia-Pacific region? Thanks.
Original post by kcky
Hi, I am from Hong Kong and will have to study a foundation course before university. I have a difficult choice between applying for the foundation course at Melbourne University or UK universities. If I go to UK, I would aim at unis like Manchester for the business course. Melbourne U is Australia's top university and has quite a high ranking in the world, but people seem to say that OZ unis aren't that reputable and UK unis are more prestigious. I know Manchester Uni is quite a good uni in UK as well as internationally, but comparing with Oz's top uni, I am not sure how to choose.

Also, other things to consider is the tuition cost. Oz's uni tuition is a lot higher than UK ones although UK has a high living cost. In terms of living, I personally like Europe so going to UK would allow me more chances to travel there, but I would love to live in Oz for the weather and overall city life.

Another thing to consider is that going to the Trinity College's foundation course in Melbourne may allow me to progress into Melbourne Uni easier. If I go to UK, I will most probably go to Bellerbys College which I am not sure which Uni I would end up in depending on my grades. Also, one advantage of Melbourne's foundation course is that I still get time to think clearly what I would want to major in while in UK, I will have to apply for the foundation course that focuses on an area, like business.

My sister is studying in Sydney U and it may be good to go to Oz but it is not a huge factor in this decision. Please help! Thanks!

The mentality of the Chinese tends to be one of everything foreign is better than domestic.

For example cars, handbags, electronics, etc. there is a craving for foerign products.

Similarly for universities, over the last decade or so, the US is perceived to be the top choice over the UK with the likes of HYSPM, trumping Oxbridge hands down, owing to the vast funding, facilities and even lifestyle one can have in the US over the UK.

The bottom line is universities in Australia or other parts of the world are not any worse than the ones you'll find at the top of most league tables.

My advice is to decide first and foremost which country you want to study / live in first, then narrow down to the list of unis.

Also, do you intend to return to HK for work or stay in the country you studied in? Having international experience is a great asset.
Reply 8
Original post by kcky
From my friend's opinion, Melbourne really seems to be a better choice. However, I am interested in Marketing/Management (more in International management). Would studying in Australia limit my job opportunities to only in the Asia-pacific market? I mean Asian companies. I would most probably go back to Hong Kong for work if I couldn't find any in Australia/UK. But I think studying in UK has an advantage of having the chance to work with European companies with branches in Hong Kong?
In fact, one of the reasons I am interested in International management is that I could have more opportunities to travel (my passion). Just wondering if studying marketing/management in UK would be more beneficial.

It wouldn't be a case of Melbourne "limiting" your options so much as of UK unis improving them, particularly in the UK and perhaps to a lesser extent the US and continental Europe. I'm sure there are Melbourne graduates working at the highest level in London and NY and conversely Manchester or Bath graduates working at the highest level in Sydney or Perth. Each is just slightly stronger in their own back yard.

At the end of the day I wouldn't stress too much over the "where", it's more the "what" that should matter to you at this point. Get a top-class degree from any of the institutions mentioned and you should have no trouble finding employment virtually anywhere.
Reply 9
Original post by speakerfone
The mentality of the Chinese tends to be one of everything foreign is better than domestic.

For example cars, handbags, electronics, etc. there is a craving for foerign products.

Similarly for universities, over the last decade or so, the US is perceived to be the top choice over the UK with the likes of HYSPM, trumping Oxbridge hands down, owing to the vast funding, facilities and even lifestyle one can have in the US over the UK.

The bottom line is universities in Australia or other parts of the world are not any worse than the ones you'll find at the top of most league tables.

My advice is to decide first and foremost which country you want to study / live in first, then narrow down to the list of unis.

Also, do you intend to return to HK for work or stay in the country you studied in? Having international experience is a great asset.

Thanks for the advice. In fact, both countries are fine to me for living, but I think international reputation is an important factor since I'll most likely work in Hong Kong, after some work placements overseas perhaps. I'm looking into the foundation course of KCL and hope I would be accepted. I guess it would be a better choice than Melbourne if I really could get in.
Reply 10
Melbourne, not only does it [imo] out gun Manchester its also a far nicer city, far nicer climate and has far nicer people [bar the evil pommy tourists] but in all seriousness its a great place. Very easy to get around aswell oweing to their trams and trolly bus's...plus its only 15mins to St Kilda beach!
Reply 11
Original post by kcky
Thanks for the advice. In fact, both countries are fine to me for living, but I think international reputation is an important factor since I'll most likely work in Hong Kong, after some work placements overseas perhaps. I'm looking into the foundation course of KCL and hope I would be accepted. I guess it would be a better choice than Melbourne if I really could get in.

On that note i feel i should point out the very strong ties aussie universities have in Asia as a whole including HK as apposed to English ones...
Original post by kcky

HK-ers obviously know about Imperial and LSE but KCL is not a bad choice either.

Not sure if you follow the news but Dickson Poon (who owns or owned Harvey Nichols) had made a large donation to his alma mater KCL, so it's profile is naturally elevated and would work in your favour.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending