Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thought it would be interesting to see if people have any quotations that they live their lives by.

I'll start off.

'For centuries, the battle of morality was fought between those who claimed that your life belongs to God and those who claimed that it belongs to your neighbors - between those who preached that the good is self-sacrifice for the sake of ghosts in heaven and those who preached that the good is self-sacrifice for the sake of incompetents on earth. And no one came to say that your life belongs to you and that the good is to live it.'

ReputationRep:
    “The true value of man is not determined by his possession, supposed or real, of Truth, but rather by his sincere exertion to get to the Truth. It is not possession of Truth by which he extends his powers and in which his ever-growing perfectability is to be found. Possession makes one passive, indolent and proud. If God were to hold all Truth concealed in his right hand, and in his left only the steady and diligent drive for Truth, albeit with the proviso that I would always and forever err in the process, and to offer me the choice, I would with all humility take the left hand.” Gotthold Lessing

Bit pompous but I like the sentiment.

ReputationRep:
    "What?"

- Lil' Jon

I think it symbolizes a desire to question our surroundings, without accepting what others say as fact without careful considerations. Simultaneously, it speaks volumes about our ability (or inability) to communicate with others over the roar of the world around us. "What? I can't hear you." Lil' Jon remarks, suggesting that none of us can truly hear the cries of our fellow man through words, but only through careful observation and actions.

ReputationRep:
    "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You." - Dr. Seuss

ReputationRep:
    If you're going through hell, keep going
    - Churchill

ReputationRep:
    "life isn't about finding yourself, life is about creating yourself"

- George Bernard Shaw

ReputationRep:
    "*****es aint **** but hoes and tricks." - Dr. DRE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albino)
    "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You." - Dr. Seuss
    If we didn't have birthdays, you wouldn't be you. If you’d never been born, well then what would you do? If you’d never been born, well then what would you be? You might be a fish! Or a toad in a tree! You might be a doorknob! Or three baked potatoes! You might be a bag full of hard green tomatoes.

Or worse than all that…Why,you might be a WASN'T! A Wasn’t has no fun at all. No, he doesn't. A Wasn't just isn't. He just isn't present. But you…You ARE YOU! And, now isn't that pleasant!

Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive...

...who is you-er than you!

Shout loud, “I am lucky to be what I am! Thank goodness I’m not just a clam or a ham. Or a dusty old jar of sour gooseberry jam! I am what I am! That’s a great thing to be! If I say so myself, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!”

ReputationRep:
    "If you have never failed, you have never tried" - no idea
    "You never fail until you stop trying" - Einstein

Two quotes that I live my life by. I try not to let failure get me down because it shows that I have tried for something that wasn't easy. I also keep in mind that I haven't truly failed until I give up completely. These quotes helped me so much whilst I was hunting for a job. It's a bit lame but I wrote them out and stuck them on my computer so I could look at them when I'd just got a rejection or if I was having trouble with an application.

ReputationRep:
    "Gotta have my bowl, gotta have cereal" - Rebecca Black, Friday.

Because which depraved person does not like CEREAL!?

ReputationRep:
    "Alright Dave!"

Trigger

ReputationRep:
    "Today you, tomorrow me"

From the incredibly heartwarming story at.....

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co...hhiker/c18z0z2

ReputationRep:
    "Drop it like its hot" Snoop Dogg

ReputationRep:
    Whether you think you can or think you can’t
    you’re right

- Henry Ford-

ReputationRep:
    "You make your own luck."

Not sure who said it, but I've been following this recently. It means so much to me as I am usually very superstitious.

ReputationRep:
    "I should stop ruining my life searching for answers I'm never gonna get, and just enjoy it while it lasts." - Woody Allen

Also trying to follow this a lot more and not complain about so many things:

ReputationRep:
    Coronati corona - a crown for the trier

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "You Only Live Once."
    - Drake

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "Everybody lies"
    -Dr. Gregory House

ReputationRep:
    Whenever you feel a little bit down and useless, just remember that you were the one sperm out of millions who made it too the egg.

I don't have a clue who first said it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.