Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting to worry quite a bit about my exams, I've got two re sits soon and 4 exams in may/june to revise for. My main worry is biology, because of all the content and model answers, and my memory is awful. I was wondering if anyone has any revision techniques to help me? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    haha me too, I have 4 exams in May, 2 are resits including AS Biology. Is your one of your resits, biology? If so, if you revised hard the first time round, everything is already in your brain, you just need to refresh it by reading the guide. For example, right now I'm revising for my unit 1 biology exam by reading the revision guide, memorising all the markschemes (common answers), and am going to make a ton of my own questions up. For the next 2 days I'll do loads of past papers & revision booklets so in 3 days I'm back at the stage I was in January.

With biology, it's better to give MORE detail in your answers then less because the examiners will penalise you if you haven't given certain phrases. Then, memorise markschemes so you're saying keywords such as 'osmosis' as they award 1 mark just for that where it's relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magenta96)
    haha me too, I have 4 exams in May, 2 are resits including AS Biology. Is your one of your resits, biology? If so, if you revised hard the first time round, everything is already in your brain, you just need to refresh it by reading the guide. For example, right now I'm revising for my unit 1 biology exam by reading the revision guide, memorising all the markschemes (common answers), and am going to make a ton of my own questions up. For the next 2 days I'll do loads of past papers & revision booklets so in 3 days I'm back at the stage I was in January.

With biology, it's better to give MORE detail in your answers then less because the examiners will penalise you if you haven't given certain phrases. Then, memorise markschemes so you're saying keywords such as 'osmosis' as they award 1 mark just for that where it's relevant.
    I accept that everyone learns and revises differently, so this may not apply directly to you (plural), but I found the revision guides weren't very good (only good to reinforce things), and it's the main book you're given that you need to follow.

I learnt the AS OCR book inside out and got A's in both of my exams, but my unit 1 result was lower because I'd been mostly using the revision guide. Therefore only use revision guides as an extra bit of revision from a different perspective, but learn the main book as that's what the exam will be based on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok Try this : There is a great thread on her called 'A Few Resources on Bio unit 2 AQA' started by Sceinceisgood. ( I thank him for the thread btw)

1, Go to the thread and you will see questions and answers on each section of unit 2 , It breaks the whole unit into bite size pieces IMHO. Can anyone supply a link?)
    2, Ok So now you have a Q&A (questions and answer) paper for each section like Section one 'Variation' or section two Genetics and so on.
    3, What you now need is some notes for each section:
    (a) so you either copy some notes yourself from section 1 Variation (as an example) or use notes from another source and copy the notes out just for one section at a time, then print off the Questions & Answers on Variation section ....Job Done LOL section 1 Variation banked in the memory bank . You then do the same for section 2 and so on .
    4, When you have finished this exercise and done all sections , copying and testing you then start on past papers which then covers all the sections .

Tip: or you could do what I did and just copied 15 pages of the notes I acquired from school.

Downside :
    1, Most notes are 40-50 pages long , I copied 12/15 pages per morning, 4 hours copying with breaks (brain numbing ) then after lunch did the test on the section of the 15 pages I had copied , which in some cases covered a few sections .

2, Time scale for this exercise is THREE/FOUR BIG FULL ON DAYS ...

3, it works for me it may not for you ....and none of the stuff is my stuff

Upside :
    1, after each section you get to test yourself , I really like this part.

2, after the massive slog is done , you should hopefully be ready for Past papers 80% + I am now getting and revising other skills I need mark scheme and stuff.

Guys beware : disclaimer : ITS A PROPER SLOG THE FIRST BIT COPYING AND STUFF- BRAIN FREEZE CAN BE EXPECTED.

But this seems to have hit a point with me and I’m feeling a little more confident now

I did this with Chemistry too last week and am having much better time with past papers now.

Just trying to help

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhodopsin94)
    I accept that everyone learns and revises differently, so this may not apply directly to you (plural), but I found the revision guides weren't very good (only good to reinforce things), and it's the main book you're given that you need to follow.

I learnt the AS OCR book inside out and got A's in both of my exams, but my unit 1 result was lower because I'd been mostly using the revision guide. Therefore only use revision guides as an extra bit of revision from a different perspective, but learn the main book as that's what the exam will be based on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeah I agree with you on the revision guide thing, I guess I'm only using it to brush up on the topics I already know pretty well (re-sitting), then if I get stuck on anything, I'll refer to my textbook, but if I was new to the exam, I'd use the textbook definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, I'll give them a go!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.