Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

It's time for me to make a decision!

these are the offers I'm considering:

UK, 1 year programs:

University of Sussex, IDS (institute of development studies) - MA Gender and Development
    LSE (london school of economics and political science) - MA Gender, Development, and Globalization
    SOAS (school of oriental and african studies), University of London - Msc Development Studies

Canada 2 year program:

University of Ottawa - MA International Development and Globalization - Entrance Scholarship awarded

so here's my thoughts:

My general research interests within development studies are:

- focus in South Asia, especially India
    - want to study gender inequalities within the social, cultural, and political structures there
    - how development is gendered and creates differential impacts, meanings and process for women and men.
    - would like to study impact of gender mainstreaming
    - and how women's knowledge can be incorporated into development process

Not sure what program to choose because:

a) University of Ottawa:

PROS: i received a full entrance scholarship from University of Ottawa, my tuition is basically covered through the scholarship, This program also has a co-op option, links to Development agency CIDA, I'm Canadian,close to home
    CON: 2 years long as opposed to the 1 year UK programs, have to take french language course, not much of a focus on gender, Don't know the world reputation of this program?

b. University of Sussex, IDS:

PROS: IDS, has great reputation in development studies, program focuses on gender and development, modules look at many of my research interests, 1 year long
    CONS: expensive, don't know if i should be just focusing on gender and development or should i stay broad and stick with development studies, far away from home

c) SOAS:

PROS: good reputation, expert in regions such as india/south asia, program is on broad development studies, with a optional module on gender and development, can do dissertation on gender and development if i like, in a major city > london therefore close to many development jobs

CONS: don't know if i should be focusing on broad development studies, or on gender and development, expensive, far away from home

d) LSE:

PROS: prestigious good reputation worldwide, some focus on gender
    CONS: very expensive, not much focus on development, more focus on gender, far away from home

If anyone can give me their opinions i would really appreciate it. I'm really torn, if i should focus on gender and development, or is it better to safe and go with a broader field of development studies and only take a module on gender and development and focus on it in my dissertation.

And what do my career prospects look like if i go to each one of these universities. Any word of advice is appreciated!! thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I know this sort of of decision is hard, but actually no-one else can make it for you. You have clearly done sensible research on the background to each of the programs and the Unis, now only you can decide which one matches your interests best and is somewhere you will feel comfortable studying. Whatever anyone else says will be their opinion, based on their interests and comfort needs - not yours.

ReputationRep:
    I understand that it will be my decision to make in the end, but I just wanted to hear other opinions on the programs/universities, which i will take into consideration in my decision making process.

I'm especially concerned with my career prospects, so any info will be helpful!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.