Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In general,

how do people actually get a job with these institutions? is it as simple as go to their websites and apply at any job opening?, or is it more through connections/relative from the inside? or they only hire famous professors? ex-mp's etc?

would they hire non western applicants?

what are the minimum academic requirements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moronz)
    In general,

how do people actually get a job with these institutions? is it as simple as go to their websites and apply at any job opening?, or is it more through connections/relative from the inside? or they only hire famous professors? ex-mp's etc?

would they hire non western applicants?

what are the minimum academic requirements?
    How about you go to their websites and have a look for yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Anybody from the inside? Come on...

ReputationRep:
    Pretty vague question... what kind of "job" are you interested in?

ReputationRep:
    sorry, just looking for any insight and experience on how to apply to these institutions really..

application process, interviews anything in general based on your experience

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well I know a guy that works at the UN. He did a masters and a few years freelance translation before applying. What NGO are you interested in? Can't help with the others i'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddy_)
    Ok, well I know a guy that works at the UN. He did a masters and a few years freelance translation before applying. What NGO are you interested in? Can't help with the others i'm afraid.
    Hi Paddy,

Thanks.
    How did he apply? Through the main UN website or any other means? how did he submit his resume? and how is the interview process looked like?

if its the UN we're talking about, then its gonna be either the UNDP and/or UNICEF

ReputationRep:
    If you gave some idea of your qualifications and what you want to do it might help. There's a huge difference between a thinktank and an NGO for example. Entry level job? experience? Your question is very vague.

The World Bank has pages of job listings and I'm sure the UN does as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hi sj27,

ah yes, truly sorry for the vagueness in my question.

after 5 years of working in the private sector albeit a multinational one, i plan to make a career switch to NGO and/or think thank.

i want to know what sort of experience they expect of people who want to work for them? and based on the reply of people in this thread i plan to make a conclusion on how to best prepare myself if there are significant differences in applying to private multinational corporations to NGO/think thank lines.

for example, i sort of heard for this or that NGO or think thanks, you could only get in with an 'invitation' from the directors or high representative of a country. or maybe its only for a very high position? i.e. the board of directors? im not entirely sure.

my knowledge of the inner working of both think thank and NGO is very little, thats why im wondering are there any major differences in application process thats completely different from private corporations.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.