Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've already posted tho so somewhere else, no replies so I don't know it this is the right place. I need to find internal resistance is the equation r=E-IR or is that wrong? I know the answer for this question is 0.71 but can someone show me the method. Thank you.
    PICTURE BELOW. \/
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Look at the dimensions of the equation you posted. r=E-IR is not correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So if you consider just the 10 ohm resistor and the voltage, you've got
    V=IR => 2.8=I*10
    => I= 2.8/10 = 0.28

now you know the current in the circuit.

so now you can use the current and the voltage for the internal resistance circuit.
    V=IR => 3.0 = 0.28 * r
    => r = 3.0/0.28 = 10.714 ohms = 10.7 ohms to the correct number of decimal places.

but the proper equation for internal resistance is
    E = I(R+r)

ReputationRep:
    or in the format you're looking for:

r = (E - IR)/I
    or r = (E/I) - R

I struggled with electricity when I did it, you need to just look at what you know and see what equations you can put it into to find out ANYTHING then you might be able to get to the answer you need.
    you can rarely get the answer with the proper equation for the variable you want.
    if you'd have used the E = I(r+R) equation straight away there would be too many unknowns.

ReputationRep:
    sorry, the current is correct.
    but the 2nd half, I did wrong.
    for the internal resistance it should be
    lost volts = Ir,
    so it's 3-2.8 = 0.28*r
    => 0.2/ 0.28 = r
    => r = 0.71 ohms.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, you are very helpful, what exam board are you on image on ocr

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.