Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What is the general timeline for applying? I am due to apply for 2014/15, post grad secondary history and Cardiff Met and Swansea Met. Basically, when do the applications open, interviews take place, decisions are made?.....Also what a general ratios between applicants and places? My understanding is that in Cardiff Met there is only like 15 places on Secondary History post grad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcusian)
    What is the general timeline for applying? I am due to apply for 2014/15, post grad secondary history and Cardiff Met and Swansea Met. Basically, when do the applications open, interviews take place, decisions are made?.....Also what a general ratios between applicants and places? My understanding is that in Cardiff Met there is only like 15 places on Secondary History post grad?
    The GTTR is generally open for new applications between mid October and the first week of November. It really depends on every Uni how long it takes to arrange interviews and stuff - 10 days after I sent off my application I was offered an interview but that was scheduled for two months later.
    The best thing you can do is ensure your application is ready to send as soon as possible and that will give you the best chance. History is super competitive so it will probably be on a first come first served basis.

ReputationRep:
    Apply as soon as possible. The places are first come first serve. Make sure you can aid your application by getting lots of experience- especially shadowing outstanding teachers in a history department. This is more important than other youth-based experience, I've found. If you get invited to interview they will ask you to reflect on why it was good teaching etc.

I applied within 5 days (the bit that is time consuming is waiting for your reference to send it- then you're good to go!) and I was interviewed in December, then had the whole of the Xmas holiday to stew before getting my offer in early Jan!

ReputationRep:
    Brill - I am aiming to have my 3 weeks experience in 3 different schools done my October and will be applying the first day I can.

ReputationRep:
    My application was completed including reference and sent off on the 31st October (after the opening of GTTR had been delayed for a few weeks), got an interview invite around mid-November, had my interview the 19th December, got an offer on the 9th January I think it was This was for Secondary History at MMU.

ReputationRep:
    ive got history pgce interview tom at mmu any advise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drod)
    ive got history pgce interview tom at mmu any advise?
    Google PGCE interview questions and think up some answers so that you don't panic on the spot! Just be friendly and confident, we had a group interview and they seemed to like that I was confident but not pushy or quiet

Good luck and I might see you in September! Not found anyone who has already been accepted onto the MMU History PGCE apart from me yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't think ive got it the one to one interview was a nightmare the man was so rude. which then made me fluff my answers, never mind good luck with yours. looks like ive got to try again next year, still got the school direct route to go yet,

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.