The Student Room Group

Access course?

Hi there,

I'm 19, and have just completed a level 3 diploma in horticulture.

Yesterday, I attended an interview for an access course in English and professions in writing.

I gained an A* in my English GCSE and a D in Maths; furthermore, I got a level 2 result in English and entry 3 in Maths (diagnostic test).

I am concerned as to if I will get on the course - due to the math's result.

Also, can someone let me know what the intensity of the course is like? And any other information on the course - would be useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Accesses courses vary in intensity which is really annoying as Universities find it hard to judge what they're worth. In my access course last year I managed to come out with Distinctions in all my work, my uni wanted an average of Merit which I easily obtained.
however when applying for a high achievers low income grant they told me the didn't recognise my access course (go figure). As for the maths, that shouldn't be a problem, I did my English GCSE along side my access course as I only got a D in school so it might be worth seeing if you can do the same.

Posted from TSR Mobilek
Hi 31 here and took the access test yesterday too but I recieved level 1 English and 2 Maths so I'm thinking I will probably have to do the foundation course first and access next year.
Reply 3
Original post by wyattnursing
Hi 31 here and took the access test yesterday too but I recieved level 1 English and 2 Maths so I'm thinking I will probably have to do the foundation course first and access next year.

Have a chat with the college, I was able to do a GCSE on the side rather than do a whole extra year. All I said to them was I didn't see the point in having to do 2 years instead of 1 when all it was was one grade holding me back.
Original post by Shomberlon
Have a chat with the college, I was able to do a GCSE on the side rather than do a whole extra year. All I said to them was I didn't see the point in having to do 2 years instead of 1 when all it was was one grade holding me back.

Thank you I will do. I did sit a 10min free writing too so i don't know the results of that. It could well bump me upto level 2 or it could of pulled me down further lol I already hold a GCSE C in English from school so I was really surprised. I thought my English was a lot better now compared to 16years ago lol.
They pretty much take anyone on the access courses, you don't need formal qualifications. You do maths on the course at GCSE level and you do english at A Level on the access course, so if you don't have them, it doesn't matter.
Reply 6
Original post by wyattnursing
Thank you I will do. I did sit a 10min free writing too so i don't know the results of that. It could well bump me upto level 2 or it could of pulled me down further lol I already hold a GCSE C in English from school so I was really surprised. I thought my English was a lot better now compared to 16years ago lol.

Haha I sat the English and Math (not sure why they made me sit the Maths since I had a C at GCSE) and I felt like my brain was melting, everything seemed familiar yet I couldn't remember how to work out the problem lol.
Reply 7
Original post by Knalchemist
They pretty much take anyone on the access courses, you don't need formal qualifications. You do maths on the course at GCSE level and you do english at A Level on the access course, so if you don't have them, it doesn't matter.

It's just a case of whether you do a 1 year or 2 year, I was able to talk my way onto the 1 year by saying I'd take the GCSE along side it along with an extra Level 2 course in English. I didn't want to waste a year over 1 grade being a D and not a C.
Original post by Shomberlon
It's just a case of whether you do a 1 year or 2 year, I was able to talk my way onto the 1 year by saying I'd take the GCSE along side it along with an extra Level 2 course in English. I didn't want to waste a year over 1 grade being a D and not a C.

At my college we had a pre access course which was the summer prior to the new academic year, we didn't have a 'foundation' access course.

As some have said you could just sit the GCSE English/Maths in your own time alongside the Access Course. But, you shouldn't even need those as for most access courses it says you don't need formal qualifications. You do GCSE level maths on the course I believe it's just the English they may be concerned about.
Reply 9
At my college we had a pre access course which was the summer prior to the new academic year, we didn't have a 'foundation' access course.

As some have said you could just sit the GCSE English/Maths in your own time alongside the Access Course. But, you shouldn't even need those as for most access courses it says you don't need formal qualifications. You do GCSE level maths on the course I believe it's just the English they may be concerned about.

The GCSE was more for uni than to get onto the access course as all the uni's I applied to wanted C or above :smile:
This is the problem with access courses and uni's, because each college does it slightly different uni's don't see them as the same as A levels. I was rejected a grant from uni staying my access course didnt count yet a girl doing the same course as me but from a different college doing access was given it.

I think you will find this very different now. I am currently on an Access Course and was refused from one college because I did not have GCSEs in English and Maths - they would not allow me to do both alongside. Luckily I found one that did in another town, but I had to appeal to get accepted on it they were not entirely happy about me doing it due to the volume of workload. I had managed it okay and hopefully will pass them as all the unis I have applied to request GCSE in English and Maths.
Reply 11
I was interviewed last March for the access course I'm currently doing. During the interview all applicants had to sit an English and Maths test and needed to secure a level 2, or exceed it, to be considered for the access course. If you didn't secure a level 2, but passed the interview you were considered for the 'Access to Access' course (basically a level 2 course).

I'm not sure what the entry level qualifications are for your chosen access course and you may receive an offer, even with an entry level result in maths.

A word of warning though, please note that for many degree programmes you require A*-C grades in Maths, English and Science. Another point to note is, if you do require GCSE A*-C grades in particular subjects, many of these level 2 Access to Access/Foundation Access courses are not accepted by universities as equivalent to GCSE, so you may have to take the GCSE alongside the access course anyway.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest