Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I do not get how to do validity, once we expand the expanssion, how do we get the validity ?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by otrivine)
    I do not get how to do validity, once we expand the expanssion, how do we get the validity ?
    When written in the form a(1+bx)^c, the magnitude of bx must be smaller than 1.
    e.g. for (4+8x)^0.5 = 2(1+2x)^0.5:
    -1<2x<1, so -0.5<x<0.5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    The magnitude of the bracket has to be less than 1
    thanks for example if the binomial was

4/(2+3x)

I expanded and got
    2-3x + 9/2x2 - 27/4 x3

so then what do I do for validity? do I solve 2+3x=0 to get -2/3 so |2/3|<1 ?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    thanks for example if the binomial was

4/(2+3x)

I expanded and got
    2-3x + 9/2x2 - 27/4 x3

so then what do I do for validity? do I solve 2+3x=0 to get -2/3 so |2/3|<1 ?
    You don't need to expand the bracket for validity.
    Just look at the bracket bit.
    (2+3x)^-1
    now take the two outside the bracket, by dividing everything within the bracket by 2:
    (2^-1)(1+1.5x)^-1
    Now your bracket is in a more useable form. The magnitude of 1.5x must be smaller than 1:
    -1<1.5x<1
    therefore:
    -2/3<x<2/3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    You don't need to expand the bracket for validity.
    Just look at the bracket bit.
    (2+3x)^-1
    now take the two outside the bracket, by dividing everything within the bracket by 2:
    (2^-1)(1+1.5x)^-1
    Now your bracket is in a more useable form. The magnitude of 1.5x must be smaller than 1:
    -1<1.5x<1
    therefore:
    -2/3<x<2/3
    Thank you for your response

Cause in the book they express lie 1<|2/3| ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    The magnitude of the bracket has to be less than 1
    The magnitude of the bracket or the magnitude of x?
    (1.01)^0.5 has a magnitude greater than one but will converge if (1+x)^0.5 is expanded and x = 0.01

0.01 is sufficiently small.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Thank you for your response

Cause in the book they express lie x<|2/3| ?
    That is also a correct way of representing -2/3<x<2/3 (assuming you meant x rather than 1 above!). I don't know how to get my laptop to write the modulus symbols (|) though.
    EDIT: actually, no. I think the modulus symbols should be around the x not the 2/3:
    |x|<2/3

ReputationRep:
    That is also a correct way of representing -2/3<x<2/3 (assuming you meant x rather than 1 above!). I don't know how to get my laptop to write the modulus symbols (|) though.
    EDIT: actually, no. I think the modulus symbols should be around the x not the 2/3:
    |x|<2/3
    Perfect understood

are you doing c4 in june, because I have a question on mixed execise 3D question 11)a) partial fraction, I THINk the book made a mistake cause it is improper and they did not do the long division /
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Perfect understood

are you doing c4 in june, because I have a question on mixed execise 3D question 11)a) partial fraction, I THINk the book made a mistake cause it is improper and they did not do the long division /
    I'm doing C4 in June, yes OCR MEI though, what exam board are you on? Post the question up with your working for me to have a look at. And there's nothing wrong with improper fractions...

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing C4 in June, yes OCR MEI though, what exam board are you on? Post the question up with your working for me to have a look at. And there's nothing wrong with improper fractions...
    I am doing edexcel No cause the book made a mistake I think they should have used long division first and then apply the partial fraction method

Express (9x2+26x+20)/(1+x)(2+x)2
    as partial fractions
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I am doing edexcel No cause the book made a mistake I think they should have used long division first and then apply the partial fraction method

as partial fractions
    Long division?!!!
    Use the A/1+x + B/2+x + C/(2+x)2 method. Show some working so I can suggest where you may be going wrong...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper

as partial fractions
    No tricks here. imo, it looks like you can go ahead and use your normal methods here. If I say A + B + C, does that help?

ReputationRep:
    Long division?!!!
    Use the A/1+x + B/2+x + C/(2+x)2 method. Show some working so I can suggest where you may be going wrong...
    for example ok sub 5 into x and you get 125/98 which means that this is improper, agree or not so far
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    for example ok sub 5 into x and you get 125/98 which means that this is improper, agree or not so far
    What?!

You have to multiply through by the denominator.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It doesn't matter if it is improper...
    If it helps, my answer is:
    3/(1+x) + 6/(2+x) - 4/ (2+x)2 Does this agree with your book's answer or with yours?
    Post some more working so we can understand what you are doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    No tricks here. imo, it looks like you can go ahead and use your normal methods here. If I say A + B + C, does that help?
    Hi, how are you

Ok, for example , I posted above , if you sub x=5 right into the equation you get improper fraction of 125/98 , agree?

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter if it is improper...
    If it helps, my answer is:
    3/(1+x) + 6/(2+x) - 4/ (2+x)2 Does this agree with your book's answer or with yours?
    Yes, that what the book says, but some strange reason in my book it mentions if the value on the top (denomintaor) is more than the numerator you use long division

for example this one here they use long division

(3x2-3x-2)/(x-1)(x-2)

do you see where I am getting confused
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    When it comes to algebraic expressions, it counts as improper if the highest power of the numerator is greater than or equal to the highest power of the denominator. You don't have to divide here because the power of the numerator (2) is less than the power of the denominator (3).

In the post above, that one's improper because the highest powers are equal. In the original, the highest power of the denominator is larger. So it's proper.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hi, how are you

Ok, for example , I posted above , if you sub x=5 right into the equation you get improper fraction of 125/98 , agree?
    You're getting this all mixed up.

\dfrac{9x^2 + 26x + 20}{(1+x)(2+x)^2} = \dfrac{A}{1+x} + \dfrac{B}{2+x} + \dfrac{C}{(2+x)^2}

Now multiply through by the denominator on the LHS.

This is the standard method. It's proper because there's a cubic in the denominator and a quadratic in the numerator.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes, that what the book says, but some strange reason in my book it mentions if the value on the top (denomintaor) is more than the numerator you use long division

for example this one here they use long division

(3x2-3x-2)/(x-1)(x-2)

do you see where I am getting confused
    Because that one IS an improper algebraic fraction.
    Someone above explains it a bit better...
    Anyway, going back to the actual question, can you please post some proper working?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.