The Student Room Group

The European/World Football Thread III

Ok new thread after the old one has now reached 10,000 posts. Place to discuss all leagues around the world, whether it's the MLS, German, French, Australian, Japan, China, Portugal, Dutch this is a thread for fans from around the world.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rock Fan
Ok new thread after the old one has now reached 10,000 posts. Place to discuss all leagues around the world, whether it's La Liga, MLS, Serie A, German, French, Australian, Japan, this is a thread for fans from around the world.

Just to note, Spanish and Italian football actually have their own threads, so please discuss La Liga and Serie A there! :colondollar:

Subbing, by the way. :cool:
Reply 2
The German Football League is considering moving its off-season from the summer to the winter in order to make best use of the weather, says Die Welt.

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rumenigge said: "We do not play football in Germany from May to August is, although we have the best weather in these months the. I think it could be better to take a break when the weather is bad here."

Have to say I agree with him..
Reply 3
Original post by Zerforax
The German Football League is considering moving its off-season from the summer to the winter in order to make best use of the weather, says Die Welt.

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rumenigge said: "We do not play football in Germany from May to August is, although we have the best weather in these months the. I think it could be better to take a break when the weather is bad here."

Have to say I agree with him..

Very interested at what effect this would have on European transfers and the like. Also, the Champions League/Europa League. :holmes:
Reply 4
Original post by Abiraleft
Very interested at what effect this would have on European transfers and the like. Also, the Champions League/Europa League. :holmes:

Just change all of the seasons/transfer windows around :teeth:

Tbfh I think transfer windows should be removed but that's a different discussion.
Reply 5
Original post by Zerforax
Just change all of the seasons/transfer windows around :teeth:

Tbfh I think transfer windows should be removed but that's a different discussion.

I agree. :holmes:

EDIT: Removed in the sense clubs shouldn't be allowed to buy players at all or in the sense they could buy players at any time?
Not much news on little Messi is there?
Reply 7
Original post by Malevolent
Not much news on little Messi is there?

In the squad for tonight, apparently.
Original post by KingMessi
In the squad for tonight, apparently.

hmmm dont think he will start.
Reply 9
Messi wants to play but doctors are advising not to, since there is still a chance of a relapse if he starts.
Original post by jit987
Messi wants to play but doctors are advising not to, since there is still a chance of a relapse if he starts.

Then its a no go for me. Don't risk injury.
hmmm dont think he will start.

Nor do I. I think he'll start on the bench and only be risked if absolutely necessary.
Reply 12
Original post by Abiraleft
I agree. :holmes:

EDIT: Removed in the sense clubs shouldn't be allowed to buy players at all or in the sense they could buy players at any time?

That clubs can buy at any time but you include a period where if the clubs will play each other then a club cannot bid/negotiate with another team/player for the 4 weeks run up to the game.

There's just too much 'all or nothing' and brinksmanship with the current system and will all the panic, everything inflates much quicker because clubs are terrified of having to go 6 months/a year before they can go after a target again.
Nor do I. I think he'll start on the bench and only be risked if absolutely necessary.

Mhmmm thats what i think. I want our forwards to be. Villa, Fabregas and Sanchez/Pedro
Cesc isn't a bad little replacement for the false-9 spot, is he
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Cesc isn't a bad little replacement for the false-9 spot, is he

Not especially :tongue:

Hope Bartra starts. Show some faith in the kid.
Damn Juventus are gonna be without Lichinsteiner and Vidal for the second leg.
Hopefully semi-final will be Barca Vs Munich, Madrid vs Borussia. Tho to be honest Barca do bore me sometimes, PSG might spice things up more.
Mhmmm thats what i think. I want our forwards to be. Villa, Fabregas and Sanchez/Pedro

Yes, I agree. Villa Fabregas Sanchez would be ideal for me. If Sanchez is coming into form now, then just play him. As a forward myself, there's nothing more detrimental to one's confidence than playing very well in a game, but then being dropped for the next one because of below-par performances over the previous months.

Original post by IdeasForLife
Hopefully semi-final will be Barca Vs Munich, Madrid vs Borussia. Tho to be honest Barca do bore me sometimes, PSG might spice things up more.

I wanted Barcelona v Madrid and Munich v Borussia - two very nice single-nation clashes, hopefully culminating in a Barcelona - Bayern final.
Reply 19
I wanted Barcelona v Madrid and Munich v Borussia - two very nice single-nation clashes, hopefully culminating in a Barcelona - Bayern final.

There's been a massive overkill of Barca/Madrd and Dortmund/Bayern.. think I would rather see..

Barca v Dortmund
Bayern v Madrid

I think that match up has both teams which play the most similar style of play - with Barca/Dortmund, both try to play passing games with pressing high up the pitch - with Madrid/Bayern, both play some passing but also play with pace on the counter.

Quick Reply