The Student Room Group

The European/World Football Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aa22
Yeh, Sporting definitely could have, and should have, scored in those 15-20 minutes at the start. Sporting do have some good youngsters again.. Bruma looks really interesting, Ilori did pretty well, and they've still got players like Andre Martins, Eric Dier and Labyad, who can all become good in the near future.

Garay to Man Utd was just paper talk. Its not confirmed. But it is highly likely he'll leave :/

And I've just found out I'll be going to a wedding party on the 12th of May, and it'll probably take up the most of the day... and as it turns, the Porto-Benfica match will OF COURSE be on that weekend! I mean, the exact time isn't decided yet, but the match will be played most like on that same day.
How annoying is that?! Waited the whole season, and the one match I won't be able to watch is the potential title winning match >________<

You should watch it btw.. I can tell that the Porto players will be going all out in that match in terms of the use of violence and hard tackles.. if it means a Benfica win would win us the title, then I can guarantee you that.

Now it's holding onto those youngsters too! I saw in the paper yesterday a few Prem sides have become interested in Bruma! Forgot about Andre Martins, he wasn't too bad at the weekend either.

Why did i believe he was gone already? Like you said, i'm pretty sure he will be gone soon though. And Matic, possibly Gaitan... I feel more of our squad will leave this summer though... A disappointing season and many have given those two extra seasons since the great season with AVB. This season hasn't been great and the likes of Fernando, Moutinho and James who all have stayed for that little while longer will more than likely leave.

Hopefully they'll make it into a Saturday game for you to watch it and i'll just have to make sure i'm busy that night to not have to watch it! I hate missing Porto games though so i know i'll end up watching it, I will just have to watch it somewhere else and not with Benfica fans as it'll be pretty unbearable!

Well, your time has come in the Europa tonight...
Anyone watching Fenerbahce-Benfica? That reaction by Cristian for Fener because his penalty hit the post! Ha, you'd think it was the final minute of the second leg and missing an important penalty...mad reaction!
Reply 142
Original post by ra-ra-ra
Anyone watching Fenerbahce-Benfica? That reaction by Cristian for Fener because his penalty hit the post! Ha, you'd think it was the final minute of the second leg and missing an important penalty...mad reaction!

That was bad.. Bad, bad, bad. One of the worst performances all season. No idea how Aimar started this match either.. Everyone was too slow and already tired by half time, except for Matic who is just ridiculously consistent.

There was no speed in attack, Ola John and Salvio were slow, and Cardozo+Aimar were even slower.. And there was no creativity in midfield because André Gomes was also quite bad.

Hopefully with Luísao and Enzo back next week we play better, but I'm not confident we can keep a clean sheet even though it seems like the gods are on our side after being saved the the posts again in Europe..

They score one goal and it'll be over tbh.. Disappointed tonight..
Original post by aa22
That was bad.. Bad, bad, bad. One of the worst performances all season. No idea how Aimar started this match either.. Everyone was too slow and already tired by half time, except for Matic who is just ridiculously consistent.

There was no speed in attack, Ola John and Salvio were slow, and Cardozo+Aimar were even slower.. And there was no creativity in midfield because André Gomes was also quite bad.

Hopefully with Luísao and Enzo back next week we play better, but I'm not confident we can keep a clean sheet even though it seems like the gods are on our side after being saved the the posts again in Europe..

They score one goal and it'll be over tbh.. Disappointed tonight..

They were terrible. A completely different Benfica side to what we've seen from them this season. Not the result i wanted though as I expect Benfica will be even more determined to not make the same mistakes on Monday now!

It's still not over though! Obvioulsy things will be difficult if Fener do get the away goal but i think Benfica will be a lot different at the Luz.

Big result yesterday in the Liga. Braga lost to Estoril. Now Estoril are in a Europa spot and Paços continue to have that three point gap over Braga but now with a game in hand. CL is looking even less likely for Braga now.

tbh it could prove vital
Beckham has been sent off for PSG
What does everyone think of the Real/Dortmund game tomorrow night?

Out of the two Spanish sides, Real are the more likely to take it to extra time or even qualify due to their away goal. Anyone think Real can pull it back or is it too far out of their reach, Dortmund looked pretty strong defensively and I have no doubt that Lewandowski will be on the score sheet.
Original post by aa22

Noooooooooooooow will you believe the title is yours?? I've stopped watching the last ten minutes. If anything... Benfica deserve that win tonight. A huge slice of fortune with the deflected goal but all second half that goal has been coming! There is no way Maritimo will get a goal to make it 2-2 now. My little islanders have let me down! :frown:
Original post by pinda.college

Out of the two Spanish sides, Real are the more likely to take it to extra time or even qualify due to their away goal. Anyone think Real can pull it back or is it too far out of their reach, Dortmund looked pretty strong defensively and I have no doubt that Lewandowski will be on the score sheet.

Its possible, i think Madrid can score 3 perhaps but their defense was atrocious. Ripped to pieces by Dortmund and they didn't have an excuse of not the best they could put out. It was their best one and it was torn a new one. Madrid can score 3 but i don't see them keeping a clean sheet either. They are gonna need to 4 or 5.
Original post by Malevolent
Its possible, i think Madrid can score 3 perhaps but their defense was atrocious. Ripped to pieces by Dortmund and they didn't have an excuse of not the best they could put out. It was their best one and it was torn a new one. Madrid can score 3 but i don't see them keeping a clean sheet either. They are gonna need to 4 or 5.

Should be a thrilling game with end to end stuff:smile:
Should be a thrilling game with end to end stuff:smile:

It should yup!

When I look at the history of Madrid it is not so unlikely that Real can do it. If Dortmund keep a clear head, the team will enter the final tomorrow. But I guess that 90.000 spectators motivate Real to perform the miracle. In my point of view the mentality of Dortmund will be crucial tomorrow.
Reply 152
Noooooooooooooow will you believe the title is yours?? I've stopped watching the last ten minutes. If anything... Benfica deserve that win tonight. A huge slice of fortune with the deflected goal but all second half that goal has been coming! There is no way Maritimo will get a goal to make it 2-2 now. My little islanders have let me down! :frown:

Yesssssssssssssss! I can finally see the title right around the corner now.. it would take something ridiculous for us to lose it now!

Maritimo gave me a massive scare though, they played really really well... one of the nerviest matches of the whole season for me. Lima was hitting the posts and it was starting to look bad with Maritimo countering with a lot of purpose... Thank god that goal came, don't care how it came, as long as it went inside the net! lol

Would absolutely love it if we won the title at the Dragao, a draw would be enough and it would be payback for two seasons ago! :P

The first hurdle of the week is passed, but now we just need to pull off the best performance of the season to get ourselves into an European final and make this into a real season-defining week!

COME OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON! :biggrin::biggrin:

Edit: Oh yeh, I saw Porto on Saturday... once again taking their time to get on the scoresheet, making me think they might drop points again, especially after another missed penalty! Deserved it in the end though..
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by aa22
Yesssssssssssssss! I can finally see the title right around the corner now.. it would take something ridiculous for us to lose it now!

Maritimo gave me a massive scare though, they played really really well... one of the nerviest matches of the whole season for me. Lima was hitting the posts and it was starting to look bad with Maritimo countering with a lot of purpose... Thank god that goal came, don't care how it came, as long as it went inside the net! lol

Would absolutely love it if we won the title at the Dragao, a draw would be enough and it would be payback for two seasons ago! :P

The first hurdle of the week is passed, but now we just need to pull off the best performance of the season to get ourselves into an European final and make this into a real season-defining week!

COME OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON! :biggrin::biggrin:

Edit: Oh yeh, I saw Porto on Saturday... once again taking their time to get on the scoresheet, making me think they might drop points again, especially after another missed penalty! Deserved it in the end though..

Yeah, Maritimo just weren’t letting anything get past them either. Every shot just seemed to have half a million bodies in front to block it or the post! Sadly, the goal came and it was a stupid OG to get you the winning goal, but that’s football!

Of course you would love it! Bloody revenge! Ahhh, I don’t want that day to arrive! Haha.

Huge game now on Thursday at the Luz and I feel that performance yesterday may just give them that extra spring in their step as surely they know the title is theirs now!

That game is just like the story of our season. Have the possession but it takes an age to get the ball in the back of the net. Honestly, no idea what it is with Porto PK takers this season, I say get Lucho back on them!!

Anyway, to not win the league even though we’re yet to lose a game, only concede 4 goals at home and a further 8 away from home, you wonder what we need to improve on! Overall Benfica took their chances far better than us and those draws against teams like Rio Ave, Olhanense and Gil Vicente where you expect us to get all 3 points have cost us dearly...

To next season, where i no longer expect to see VP on the touchline and a completely different midfield in that Porto line-up.

And looks like Boavista and an 18-team league will not be going ahead next season. This league. Jeez. :facepalm:
I'm very impressive what Bayern done in Barcelona. 3-0 victory at the best team in the world. In this season Bayern seems to be unstoppable.

I can't believe it! Its just fantastic. Two German teams enter the final in Wembley. Who would have thought it before the season began? no one, including myself. I will watch and enjoy the final match.
I went to tonights game between Vanouver Whitecaps and FC Edmonton in the Canadian Cup semi-finals (winner goes into the equivalent of the European Champions League), it was a decent game with a controversial red card (although he was last man and did appear to deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity), funny own goal that would make the old nightmares DVD, and a drunk man behind us who kept shouting WOOOOOOO every two minutes during the game, and a goal very similar to Ron Vlaar's for Villa the other night, ended with a 2-0 win for Vancouver. Mind you Toronto will be very sore after losing 6-0 to Montreal in the other Semi-Final.
Original post by aa22

Parabéns Benfica!

What a week for you guys! The treble is still on. You don't have to rub it in though... :rolleyes:
Reply 157
Parabéns Benfica!

What a week for you guys! The treble is still on. You don't have to rub it in though... :rolleyes:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

SO, SO happy we've made it to the final. Never thought I'd see us in a European final, even if it is the Europa League. The players gave it their all in this match.. completely dominated it. Even the dodgy ref decisions weren't enough to knock us out.

The treble is definitely on. What a week.. perfect, couldn't have asked for more... Still think Chelsea will win this quite easily, but hopefully we'll give it our all.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Also. I hate Vitor Pereira. If he was in front of me right now and I had a gun in my hand, I would not hesitate. That's how much I hate him. What an arrogant little b-tard. Hope he pisses off at the end of the season and ends up falling into obscurity where he belongs.
Original post by aa22
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

SO, SO happy we've made it to the final. Never thought I'd see us in a European final, even if it is the Europa League. The players gave it their all in this match.. completely dominated it. Even the dodgy ref decisions weren't enough to knock us out.

The treble is definitely on. What a week.. perfect, couldn't have asked for more... Still think Chelsea will win this quite easily, but hopefully we'll give it our all.

Also. I hate Vitor Pereira. If he was in front of me right now and I had a gun in my hand, I would not hesitate. That's how much I hate him. What an arrogant little b-tard. Hope he pisses off at the end of the season and ends up falling into obscurity where he belongs.

Don't think it'll be that easy. You guys will be tough imo. We haven't had opposition like you for some time. Reckon you're nearly as strong as a full strength tottenham team. I think we'll win by one goal. Can't see us not conceding but over the 2 halves our quality will shine and we'll edge it.
Original post by aa22

Benfica deserved that tonight. Great job by them!

Stop writing Benfica off! Haha, you've said all the way (and in the Liga) "Benfica won't do it, Benfica won't do it"... If there is a time to believe in that Benfica squad then it is now more than ever! The cracking season continues.

Haha, i don't think many Porto fans would stop you either!

Quick Reply

Latest