Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I personally do not understand this whole 'English does not exist' nonsense. It seems to me the only people who imply the notion are the ones who do not want English to be recognized at all.

No other culture, nationality is being asking to prove it exists, or prove it has a culture to my knowledge. Nobody is asking Jamaicans or Turks to justify their nationality's. :confused:

It would seem as though the Politically Correct, multicultural movement would rather we are not recognized, but prefer us to come under their new interpretation of being English. Which in general has made a mockery of what English basically is.

I was listening to the radio the other night about a conversation on this. Around 70% of people phoning in claimed 'English does not exist'. You could quite clearly tell by the tone of their voice their begrudging attitude to even have it recognized, and to be honest with you, the basis of their arguments were pitiful.

I also find it extremely disrespectful to attempt to crush a nations identity and deny they exist. As I have implied, the overall basis for this inappropriate attitude seems to be anti-English rhetoric. An overall attempt to simply challenge. (for what ever agenda, reasons that may be)

Either nationality's exist, or they don't. Not this cherry-picking nonsense of 'this one exists, that one doesn't'. Maybe Multiculturalism just wishes to replace English culture..since that policy has continually rather labelled us as 'lacking diversity' and needing 'enrichment'. :rolleyes: In real terms, 'we have an issue with your culture and believe it needs to mixed with all these superior, more 'enriching' cultures'.:rolleyes:

Or shall I say the claim generally is that...England does not have a Native population.

ReputationRep:
    I've never seen anyone saying that English doesn't exist.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps bcoz zey'r tlkn lik zis nw?

ReputationRep:
    Because the English are self loathing and are hell-bent on ridding themselves of their own culture and traditions because they've bought into the idea that anything foreign is inherently better, starting with the Americanisation in the 70s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welsh_insomniac)
    Because the English are self loathing and are hell-bent on ridding themselves of their own culture and traditions because they've bought into the idea that anything foreign is inherently better.
    true actually. A lot of people who will deny it exists are ultra liberal English people!

In fact, the correct term may 'England does not have Native population'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slickrick666999)
    I personally do not understand this whole 'English does not exist' nonsense. It seems to me the only people who imply the notion are the ones who do not want English to be recognized at all.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are there any references you can find for this term?

Is this to do with English people having mixed origins (Norman, Viking, Anglo-Saxon etc.)?

ReputationRep:
    The people who say this are mostly either foreigners, or English 'useful idiots'.

The EU should "do its best to undermine" the "homogeneity" of its member states, the UN's special representative for migration has said.
    Peter Sutherland told peers the future prosperity of many EU states depended on them becoming multicultural.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18519395

ReputationRep:

No other culture, nationality is being asking to prove it exists, or prove it has a culture to my knowledge. Nobody is asking Jamaicans or Turks to justify their nationality's. :confused:

It would seem as though the Politically Correct, multicultural movement would rather we are not recognized, but prefer us to come under their new interpretation of being English. Which in general has made a mockery of what English basically is.

I was listening to the radio the other night about a conversation on this. Around 70% of people phoning in claimed 'English does not exist'. You could quite clearly tell by the tone of their voice their begrudging attitude to even have it recognized, and to be honest with you, the basis of their arguments were pitiful.

I also find it extremely disrespectful to attempt to crush a nations identity and deny they exist. As I have implied, the overall basis for this inappropriate attitude seems to be anti-English rhetoric. An overall attempt to simply challenge. (for what ever agenda, reasons that may be)

Either nationality's exist, or they don't. Not this cherry-picking nonsense of 'this one exists, that one doesn't'. Maybe Multiculturalism just wishes to replace English culture..since that policy has continually rather labelled us as 'lacking diversity' and needing 'enrichment'. :rolleyes: In real terms, 'we have an issue with your culture and believe it needs to mixed with all these superior, more 'enriching' cultures'.:rolleyes:

Or shall I say the claim generally is that...England does not have a Native population.
    How DARE THEY!!!!!

I am a proud English Aubergine, 5 generations of Aubergines have grown on this very land. OFF with their stalks!!!!!!!!!!!!

English does exist, I have never heard another human or aubergine state otherwise your looking at one radio and jumping the boat, so please take a seat, have a non veggie drink and take deep breaths, you will be fine in no time chap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryAubergine)
    How DARE THEY!!!!!

I am a proud English Aubergine, 5 generations of Aubergines have grown on this very land. OFF with their stalks!!!!!!!!!!!!

English does exist, I have never heard another human or aubergine state otherwise your looking at one radio and jumping the boat, so please take a seat, have a non veggie drink and take deep breaths, you will be fine in no time chap.
    Some can't stand to hear us have our say. Makes you mad, doesn't it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuk)
    I'm not sure what you mean. Are there any references you can find for this term?

Is this to do with English people having mixed origins (Norman, Viking, Anglo-Saxon etc.)?
    Don't forget, Roman and French!

ReputationRep:
    There has actually been discussions about this in my home country (Norway) as well, that we do not have a specific 'culture' and that it's all imported from central Europe or America.

It mostly pops up whenever we discuss the EEA/EU membership, so it might have something to do with that :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. It is a collective imagination of self and other that is subject to change (see Banton, 2011). It's well established that nationality and group identity are socially constructed. I would recommend Sen (2006) as a starting point.

And every country is multicultural; I don't see people wearing identical clothes, listening to the same music, holding the same religious/spiritual values, having the same sociopolitical views, etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.