Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. 31 mature student returning here. I sat my access test yesterday. My GCSE was C English and D Maths so i was expecting to do better with my English but the test result said I got Level 1 English and Level 2 Maths? Do you think I will have to do the foundation course first and access next year? I was hoping not to as trainign has already been delayed a year for me due to tragic circumstances last summer. It didn't tell me a % though or I didn't notice it and a few friends have said you need to get over 70% for both to get on the 1 year course. Below will be foundation and access 2years. Thanks for any advice in advance. I'm so nervous!

ReputationRep:
    From my experience, those test are generally to find what level you are working towards. I got a C in english language and a D in english literature. And level 2 on those tests. I also got a C in maths and again level 2. The C in english and maths means that I do not have to take maths or english on my access course so I theory, I would of thought your C in english would mean you do not need to take english. I could be wrong. What is the access course you are taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronC11)
    What is the access course you are taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hiya it's the access to HE to go onto Nursing. It's the one year course I have applied for but they can offer you the foundation course and then access if you don't do too well on this test?

ReputationRep:
    Also to add. I did 10mins of free writing too. So hoping that helps towards a better English result. I'm so surprised I did better in Maths than English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wyattnursing)
    Also to add. I did 10mins of free writing too. So hoping that helps towards a better English result. I'm so surprised I did better in Maths than English.
    It honestly depends on the course and college. Did they not give you any indication what level you needed to pass?

I did tests at 2 different colleges when I was applying. One wanted at least level 1 in Maths and level 2 in English and the other one wanted at least level 2 in both plus pass interview. The only way to find out for sure is to phone them up and ask them.

ReputationRep:
    No they just said they would look at our results and decide if we should do a foundation course before the access or not. I am hoping I can do the access with extra English beings my maths came out good enough.

ReputationRep:
    I am hoping I can do the access with extra English beings my maths came out good enough.

In my college, if you do not have at least a C in maths or english then you are required to take maths and english at level 2 during your access course. They then count towards your 60 required credits for university. They will be at level 2 where as any modules u take will be level 3. Im currently taking 60 credits at level 3 and my GCSE results will be my level 2 credits.

Maths 21 level 3 credits
    Computing 18 level 3 credits
    Business 15 level 3 credirs
    Core Units 6 level 3 credits

Then there is
    Literacy 3 level 2 credits
    Numeracy 3 level 2 credits

There are people on my course who are taking both literacy and numeracy as thw Unis want it if there dont have the rwquirwd GCSE grades.

It must be different with colleges and course.

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronC11)
    In my college, if you do not have at least a C in maths or english then you are required to take maths and english at level 2 during your access course

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm really not sure this wasn't explained yesterday. I haven't been asked what my grades were either. Unless they was in my original application, I can't remember. But I have GCSE C English and D maths. This test I did yesterday seemed to reverse that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really not sure this wasn't explained yesterday. I haven't been asked what my grades were either. Unless they was in my original application, I can't remember. But I have GCSE C English and D maths. This test I did yesterday seemed to reverse that.
    I can't remember what you wanted to study at uni but the bigger concern is that most university courses require you to have C in English and Maths, some won't consider the Access equivalents but it does depend on the course and uni so it would be a good idea to check that out first. I know people who passed their access courses but didn't get in because they lacked the GCSEs.

Did you revise for your test at all? If you revised but still got a low score you might genuinely not be ready, if on the other hand you didn't then you could always tell the college this and explain that you plan to go over some GCSE stuff before the course starts to get you up to scratch.

ReputationRep:
    sorry to hijack the thread, I also sat the maths and english tests for access courses but nobody really explained how they were graded.
    I got 'you are working very well at level 2' for both - any idea what that translates to in terms of marks?

ReputationRep:
    None of this was explained to me either and I have pretty similar circumstances.
    I'm also 31 and wanting the do the access to nursing/midwifery. I applied a few weeks ago and took the 20 minute maths, 20 minute English and a 10 minute free writing task last Thursday. It never gave me a grade that I was working at so if anyone can fill me in I would be grateful. I got 22/24 in English and 23/24 in maths.
    From what has been explained to me in detail from the college they are only assessing you for additional needs. You could still take the one year course but may need to do extra study to get you to an acceptable grade. If your levels were very, very low then they would anticipate a foundation course first.
    I personally think you will be absolutely fine with those marks so try not to worry. My course is very over subscribed so I am very nervous about actually getting on it. I've been told to really sell myself at interview so shall pass on the same advice to you
    Do you know when your interview will be? I haven't been told my date yet. Is your plan to go into nursing or midwifery?
    Best of luck to both of us

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by she-theFaceICan'tForget)
    sorry to hijack the thread, I also sat the maths and english tests for access courses but nobody really explained how they were graded.
    I got 'you are working very well at level 2' for both - any idea what that translates to in terms of marks?
    I wonder why some colleges grade on a level and some grade on marks! Very frustrating! I want to know my level lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Colleges can set their own tests which don't have to be standardised against any other tests so it is not always easy to compare them. Some do these online tests where the difficult of the following question depends on the answer to your last question and so every applicant get different questions. Others just have a set number of questions and they want you to get so many questions correct in order to pass.

As for levels. I *think* level 1 is roughly equivalent to a D/E grade GCSE, level 2 is roughly equivalent to A/B/C at GCSE and level 3 is working towards AS level.

Some (not all) access courses include enough level 2 units in literacy and maths for those who don't have GCSEs in English and Maths and some (not all) universities may accept these in place of GCSEs but it really does depend on the university and course so double check. I do know people who got fantastic access course grades but didn't get into uni because they didn't have the required GCSEs. Some colleges let you do GCSEs alongside the access course. As you can see it is all very confusing so don't rely on something someone tells you on an internet forum, get emailing your prospective universities to find out about GCSEs and contact your prospective colleges to find out what they are actually asking for and offering.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all I received my acceptance letter a few days ago onto the one year access course I am so chuffed with myself as a few friends sat the same test and have been asked to do two years. The foundation first. So I feel very pleased with myself. I have to go back in June for 4x evening sessions to go over the course in more depth and organise the loan, Childcare etc. I am sure you passed too julie what college are you going to? I am aiming for. Rgn nursing at Coventry uni for next year now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey all I received my acceptance letter a few days ago onto the one year access course I am so chuffed with myself as a few friends sat the same test and have been asked to do two years. The foundation first. So I feel very pleased with myself. I have to go back in June for 4x evening sessions to go over the course in more depth and organise the loan, Childcare etc. I am sure you passed too julie what college are you going to? I am aiming for. Rgn nursing at Coventry uni for next year now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congratulations! September will feel like forever to come now.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done!!
    I've applied to south Leicestershire college with a view to study to De Montfort Uni.
    I've got my tutor interview on Wednesday at 2pm

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! I really hope you can advice me!!! Since my maths now is very low (I did it in high school in Italy years ago..) could you give me some advice regarding books to buy online in order to revise maths?? I need to pass level 2...Do i have to buy a book for foundation level or higher? I think I will buy both...but I don't know which one to choose between CGP books or collins...
    Hope someone will answer me!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.