Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've missed my period and I don't know why Watch

I normally have regular periods, but this time I'm late. I've been getting all of the symptoms - bloating, cramps, etc but nothing has happened. I've never had sex so I'm definitely not pregnant. Over the past couple of months I've stopped eating as much and have lost quite a lot weight, dropping from 8st 9 to 7st 10. I've also started exercising a lot (gym three times a week) and I've been worried about my mom because she hasn't been very well. I know that I won't get an accurate answer on here, but could anyone give me any suggestions on what may be causing this? I'm not underweight or anything so I'm not sure if it's sudden weight loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I normally have regular periods, but this time I'm late. I've been getting all of the symptoms - bloating, cramps, etc but nothing has happened. I've never had sex so I'm definitely not pregnant. Over the past couple of months I've stopped eating as much and have lost quite a lot weight, dropping from 8st 9 to 7st 10. I've also started exercising a lot (gym three times a week) and I've been worried about my mom because she hasn't been very well. I know that I won't get an accurate answer on here, but could anyone give me any suggestions on what may be causing this? I'm not underweight or anything so I'm not sure if it's sudden weight loss.
    These could all be contributing to this. How late are you? Don't worry too much about it because this will only delay it further, and if you're really concerned then speak to your doctor. Chances are it will come eventually.

ReputationRep:
    Losing weight, exercising and worrying are the most likely causes.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps it has been your eating habits. My sister's eating habits are awful and at times, her periods will be regular, every month, and other times she'll miss them for about 4 months straight before having another period.
    If you're worried, I'd recommend you go and speak to your GP for advice.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you've been going through a lot of physical and mental stress. Changes to body weight can sometimes delay your period and emotional stress can also cause it to come that bit later. Once your body gets used to your new lifestyle your period should come on fine, I know it's hard, but try and keep the worrying to a limit and this will also help. I hope your mum gets better soon x

(Original post by Aquar)
    These could all be contributing to this. How late are you? Don't worry too much about it because this will only delay it further, and if you're really concerned then speak to your doctor. Chances are it will come eventually.
    I'm about 5 days late I think. Yeah I'm trying not to worry, I'll wait another week or so and if nothing improves I'll see my doctor

(Original post by Nistar)
    Perhaps it has been your eating habits. My sister's eating habits are awful and at times, her periods will be regular, every month, and other times she'll miss them for about 4 months straight before having another period.
    If you're worried, I'd recommend you go and speak to your GP for advice.
    I've been averaging 1200 calories per day, some days it's a lot higher and others it's a lot lower. Yeah I'll wait a bit and then hopefully things will start working normally again

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes women can just miss their period and it's nothing to worry about. If you continue to miss your period, I would suggest seeing your GP to discuss whether your weight loss could cause this and what you can do about it. As someone else has already suggested, stress can delay your period. I went on holiday to Spain a couple of years ago and was due to start my period on the day that we flew out, I was so stressed about it that I was a week late and I didn't come on until I got back!

(Original post by Shannon~)
    It sounds like you've been going through a lot of physical and mental stress. Changes to body weight can sometimes delay your period and emotional stress can also cause it to come that bit later. Once your body gets used to your new lifestyle your period should come on fine, I know it's hard, but try and keep the worrying to a limit and this will also help. I hope your mum gets better soon x
    Yeah, I guess I've been really stressed lately so that hasn't helped... I'll try to stop stressing out now. And thanks x

(Original post by Add!ction)
    Sometimes women can just miss their period and it's nothing to worry about. If you continue to miss your period, I would suggest seeing your GP to discuss whether your weight loss could cause this and what you can do about it. As someone else has already suggested, stress can delay your period. I went on holiday to Spain a couple of years ago and was due to start my period on the day that we flew out, I was so stressed about it that I was a week late and I didn't come on until I got back!
    Is it normal to get the symptoms though? I've got all of the symptoms that it should be starting but no period. Oh okay, at least I'm not the only one! XD

ReputationRep:
    Is it normal to get the symptoms though? I've got all of the symptoms that it should be starting but no period. Oh okay, at least I'm not the only one! XD
    I couldn't give you a definitive answer but I don't think you have anything major to worry about, it might just take a while for everything to get going, I can have cramps for 2-3 days before anything happens

(Original post by Add!ction)
    I couldn't give you a definitive answer but I don't think you have anything major to worry about, it might just take a while for everything to get going, I can have cramps for 2-3 days before anything happens
    I've been having symptoms for about 2 weeks though... I normally get them about a week before my period, and sometimes I have a small period in between two proper periods, but it's all even weirder this time. Thanks for reassuring me though, there's not a lot I can do about it anyway XD

ReputationRep:
    Dw,there's nothing at all to worry about!
    This happened to me last month.
    Mine came after 54 days,when my usual cycle is between 30-40 ish days!
    Stress can cause delayed/missed periods.
    I read that if your stressed around the time when ovulation is supposed to happen,then obvs ovulation will be late,causing your period to come 2 weeks later.
    If you've missed a period,then I suggest you to not worry as it'll come eventually.
    I guess it's just the stress of your mum being unwell that caused this.
    Also,weight loss/gain can cause delayed periods.
    http://women.webmd.com/tc/missed-or-...topic-overview
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/12...eriod-but-not/

ReputationRep:
    Just want to note that from personal experience, weight loss really messed up my reproductive system. Please don't drop so much weight that you're underweight. It will affect your other organs too, and can be easily fatal.

ReputationRep:
    My period gets mostly altered when I'm very stressed. Actually, the exact same thing is happening to me at the moment due to all the stress in the last few months and last time I got my period was january :eek: I'm only getting all the symptoms now so I'm sure I'll get it soon. However, this proves that if you're stressed or worried about your mum it could easily happen that you miss your period not only once but even two or three months in a row.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sounds like Hypothalamic Amenorrhoea to me...

Go to your GP and get this checked out just to be on the safe side, other than that decrease your stress levels, as stress will naturally make your body progress into a Catabolic State; making you lose bone density and overall muscle mass which brings a host of other issues; get a normal eating routine and do not over exercise.

For anyone that is interested, some of the effects of a Catabolic State are below:

• Halt in synthesis of protein, fat and carbohydrate
    • Increased breakdown of protein, free fatty acids, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol for energy
    • Increased production of RBC and liver enzymes for energy
    • Decreased repair and replacement of cells with normally high turn-over (gut, skin, etc.)
    • Decreased production of cells for immune system (thymus shrinks, circulating white cells decrease)
    • Decreased sexual processes
    • Increased blood pressure, cardiac output
    • Increased salt and water retention
    • Impaired digestion

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry. I have irregular periods all the time! And it narrowed down to being stressed out, every now and then just relax and chill. Although, if it goes for 1/2 months then i would recommend to see the doctor, but it's nothing to be worried about!

(Original post by Varsh05)
    Dw,there's nothing at all to worry about!
    This happened to me last month.
    Mine came after 54 days,when my usual cycle is between 30-40 ish days!
    Stress can cause delayed/missed periods.
    I read that if your stressed around the time when ovulation is supposed to happen,then obvs ovulation will be late,causing your period to come 2 weeks later.
    If you've missed a period,then I suggest you to not worry as it'll come eventually.
    I guess it's just the stress of your mum being unwell that caused this.
    Also,weight loss/gain can cause delayed periods.
    http://women.webmd.com/tc/missed-or-...topic-overview
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/12...eriod-but-not/
    Okay thank you I'm still waiting for it but I'm going to the doctor next week to see what's going on

(Original post by Faberry)
    Just want to note that from personal experience, weight loss really messed up my reproductive system. Please don't drop so much weight that you're underweight. It will affect your other organs too, and can be easily fatal.
    How much did you weigh when things started to happen? And how much did you lose? I'm now 7st 8, still nothing :/

(Original post by Colpejafort)
    My period gets mostly altered when I'm very stressed. Actually, the exact same thing is happening to me at the moment due to all the stress in the last few months and last time I got my period was january :eek: I'm only getting all the symptoms now so I'm sure I'll get it soon. However, this proves that if you're stressed or worried about your mum it could easily happen that you miss your period not only once but even two or three months in a row.
    Wow I didn't realise you could miss it that many times! I guess I was stressed but my mom is getting better now and I'm still not back to normal >.<

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.