Stats ! Question! Watch

Neo1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hello, this question I cant seem to get it....please help

The letters of the word POSSESSES are written on 9 cards, one on each card. The cards are shuffled and four of them are selected and arranged in a straight line.

(a) How many possibly selections are there of 4 letters.
(b) How many arrangements are there of 4 letters.

Please help me on these!
Thanks a lot
From John
littlemissalex
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
the question doesnt make sense.. if the cards each have a letter on them, then surely the possibility that the 4 cards have a letter on them is 1?
Maybe you misread the question or something cause i dont make sense of it.. maybe its just me lol
Abdiel
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Do you know the answer? cos if its 63 or 1512 for part a) i think i can tell u how to do it. I could tell u anyway, but i might be wrong

Ab
*LEGEND*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
This is actually a really hard question.
The answers are 12 and 115 from the s1 textbook. Any ideas anyone?
Chewwy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by alexandra)
the question doesnt make sense.. if the cards each have a letter on them, then surely the possibility that the 4 cards have a letter on them is 1?
Maybe you misread the question or something cause i dont make sense of it.. maybe its just me lol
it's just you.
Chewwy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
may as well do this long hand. possibilities:

all Ss
3Ss and something else (P, O or E)
2Ss, 1E, 1 other (P,O or E)
2Ss, 1P, 1O
1S, 1E, 1 other (P,O,E)
EEOP

12 in total. now for each possibility work out the number of ways it can be ordered, and add them up.
Abdiel
Report 12 years ago
okay, worked out the first part.

Basically, if it was just abcdefghi or any other combination of 9 different letters, then the total number of different combinations would be 4!*5!. If it was 6 cards dealt the no. of different combinations would be 6!*3!, if all the cards delt there would be a massive 9! combinations (362880).

Because there are 5 s, 2 e, 1 0 and 1 p, we divide the top nuber by 5!*2!*1!*1! (5!*2! cos 1! = 1) this is the number of possible ways that the available letters r gonna b arranged - and its gonna reduce the total cos there's less ways with less different letters. (4!*5!)/(5!*2!)= 12

pwhew. i'll have my dinner and then try and do the other one if no one else has by then.

NB: if u get this in the exam.. just turn the page to the next question

Ab
xlinax
Report 12 years ago
I know it doesn't work out but i just wondered why you couldn't just do 9C4 seeing as 4 were chosen from 9?
Chewwy
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kornpie)
I know it doesn't work out but i just wondered why you couldn't just do 9C4 seeing as 4 were chosen from 9?
because some of the letters are repeated. for example, there are 5 different combinations you can choose which will all give you 4Ss.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (213)
39.23%
No - but I will (38)
7%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.63%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (256)
47.15%

Watched Threads