Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically I want to help someone out, but I want it to be a surprise so I don't want to ask for bank details/they would refuse. Would it be simplest to send it in cash with Airsure via Royal Mail? Is that secure? Not really sure how money orders work so advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I wouldn't send cash as if the letter gets lost or stolen then the cash is gone, I don't know about money orders but surely a check (or cheque ) would do? ideally you'd want to transfer direct to the other person's bank account as it is the most secure compared to sending cash but if you don't want them to know then a check or perhaps PayPal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krack)
    Personally I wouldn't send cash as if the letter gets lost or stolen then the cash is gone, I don't know about money orders but surely a check (or cheque ) would do? ideally you'd want to transfer direct to the other person's bank account as it is the most secure compared to sending cash but if you don't want them to know then a check or perhaps PayPal?
    Pretty sure they don't have paypal - a cheque would be an idea but I think this person uses a credit union rather than a bank - do you think they would accept a UK cheque (and one from a building soc rather than a bank)? I could give them another $20 or so to cover fees :beard:

Is it possible to buy USD cheques anywhere in the UK? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medbh4805)
    Pretty sure they don't have paypal - a cheque would be an idea but I think this person uses a credit union rather than a bank - do you think they would accept a UK cheque (and one from a building soc rather than a bank)? I could give them another $20 or so to cover fees :beard:

Is it possible to buy USD cheques anywhere in the UK? :confused:
    If they have an issue they can always go to a check cashing place such as Walmart, I know Walmart also have a MoneyGram checking facility for money orders from MoneyGram although I have no idea how MoneyGram works. At the end of the day there will most likely be fees but they should be able to cash it

ReputationRep:
    Western Union!

ReputationRep:
    Youre not allowed to send cash in the mail to start with.
    Paypal, Western union, Money gram and there are true armies of forex companies that do it for you. Oh and the post office.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Paypal is the best bet because you just need their email address. But they have the choice to accept/reject your payment

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.