The Student Room Group

When did we get into this stupid phase of fat coddling?

Stupid sayings like "big is beautiful" when did this all start?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I think that for thousands of years and across a variety of countries and continents big was beautiful. It's the notion that thin is beautiful that's the comparatively recent arrival.
Reply 2
Neither being stick thin or morbidly obese is healthy. I do find these "I'm so large because a normal body couldn't hold my personality" posts/images you find to be highly irritating, unless a person has a medical condition the only thing their body couldn't hold is the amount of food being put in.
Reply 3
I find the saying "Real women have curves" quite annoying. Are you saying that naturally slight girls aren't 'real' women? They're simply trying to deflect the attention away from themselves because they can't handle the truth that they aren't attractive.
Reply 4
I completely sympathise with people who are obese through medical conditions, being over fed as a child you can overcome. But why is we don't tell overweight people to lose weight rather than trying to make them feel like they're so beautiful. I didn't complain about underweight girls because I think being ridiculously skinny is already quite stigmatised
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
This one always annoys me. Monroe was an old school size 14, which is not the same as these days.

Also, this cross section (people who can't lose weight) accounts for an absolutely minimal proportion of the population.
Reply 6
Not this again. Marilyn Monroe was clearly not a size 14.
Reply 7
Whale whale whale what do we have here...
Reply 8
Exactly, so don't refer to her as being size 14 when she was nowhere near what we now deem to be size 14.
I think it's quite sad that society felt the need to change clothes sizes as a result of people being so self-conscious about their size. River Island really annoys me... I have size 6 clothes from there that drop off me, and I'm definitely not a 6. People should just accept their image and accept the images of others. Neither skinny nor curvy are better than the other, they're just different. As long as people aren't obese or dangerously thin, they should be worried. I just wish I could feel this way but so many of us want to look like something that is unattainable :/
Reply 10
Original post by Ultimate1
Whale whale whale what do we have here...

Strong misc presence...
Reply 11
Original post by Anime Lover
I think it's quite sad that society felt the need to change clothes sizes as a result of people being so self-conscious about their size. River Island really annoys me... I have size 6 clothes from there that drop off me, and I'm definitely not a 6. People should just accept their image and accept the images of others. Neither skinny nor curvy are better than the other, they're just different. As long as people aren't obese or dangerously thin, they should be worried. I just wish I could feel this way but so many of us want to look like something that is unattainable :/

I think I get more annoyed by male sizes, which are based on actual sizes, but in some shops, are something like 4" larger than the claimed waistband. Stupid as anything.
Original post by rcummins1
I find the saying "Real women have curves" quite annoying. Are you saying that naturally slight girls aren't 'real' women? They're simply trying to deflect the attention away from themselves because they can't handle the truth that they aren't attractive.

The only women who say things like "real women have curves" are insecure women who are trying to convince themselves they're happy being the size they are, despite starting a new fad diet that consists of peas, water and dust every 3 weeks.
Reply 13
I think she was probably a 10 in todays sizing. But okay, I take back the "nowhere near" but you still shouldn't say she was size 14, when you know most people will interpret that as todays size 14.
Original post by rcummins1

This x 1000000000000

Original post by Gotzz
I think she was probably a 10 in todays sizing. But okay, I take back the "nowhere near" but you still shouldn't say she was size 14, when you know most people will interpret that as todays size 14.

I find our sizing really weird - my flatmate who I always presumed to be an 8/10 I've just found out is a 14... I would never have guessed at all. I'm still convinced she's wearing the wrong size... :dontknow:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Slumpy
I think I get more annoyed by male sizes, which are based on actual sizes, but in some shops, are something like 4" larger than the claimed waistband. Stupid as anything.

Thats ridiculous! I've given up on sizing. I got measured for my jeans and, by proper measurements, I'm a size 8, but in some shops size 6 clothes drop off me and there are times when size 14 tops barely fit. They should have a standardised sizing, and if people don't like it they should just accept their size or lose/gain weight accordingly.
Original post by Gotzz
Not this again. Marilyn Monroe was clearly not a size 14.

+1. Her bum is as flat as anything. Hardly the poster girl for "curves" :rolleyes:

She is actually very slim.
Reply 17
Most magazines I notice seem to have celebrities telling you what to wear, holly willoughby seems to be a popular choice. Super models are very skinny but mainstream media usually slates them for it. I think it's about time people started realising there are far more important things than just being beautiful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
If I could be bothered I'd find sources for what I'm about to say but I really can't so Google it.

Fat was attractive most likely because food was scarce, it was a sign of wealth that you could afford all that food and gorge on it. When sugar was first introduced people ate so much their teeth rotted just to show they could afford to too. Now with food readily available it's shifted to thin. The reason we find certain things attractive lay in evolutionary psychology (and personal stuff also)
a hips to waist ratio of some 30%? not sure precisely is found attractive (child bearing hips and shows virility/health), having a symmetrical body is found attractive. Clear skin shows health etc crap like that that needs more studying to see why we find things attractive. So we see why people photoshop stuff to make them more attractive, because it sells, making the product with them look more attractive.

As for curvy or fat? Whatever, as long as they're happy but I don't think there are many who would rather be fat than skinny.
I think we should all just try and be healthy, it's hard to do but we should at least try, whatever body we get from that is fine.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by geetar
Strong misc presence...

gooby pls

Quick Reply

Latest