Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

OCR F324- Reaction mechanism for cyclohexene and bromine watch

ReputationRep:
    in the ocr official a2 textbook (pg14) here is the reaction mechanism for cyclohexene and bromine, just wanted to know if there was a typo in the book
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 4791
Size:  109.1 KB

i've circled the two delta plus signs, are they both delta plus, or should one be negative?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by printergirl)
    in the ocr official a2 textbook (pg14) here is the reaction mechanism for cyclohexene and bromine, just wanted to know if there was a typo in the book

i've circled the two delta plus signs, are they both delta plus, or should one be negative?
    oh yes well spotted! that is a mistake it should be negative

ReputationRep:

yes the second Br should be delta neg

ReputationRep:
    Is that the one with the Calcium fluorite thing on the front? That book has way too many errors in it for my liking..

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any predicitions for this paper?

ReputationRep:
    Yes that is a typo. Well the whole mechanism is incorrect, but correct as far as A-level!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Char-)
    Anyone got any predicitions for this paper?
    You must be calcium bicarbonate, because if you let me get you wet, then the reaction will be explosive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You must be calcium bicarbonate, because if you let me get you wet, then the reaction will be explosive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awks.
    You're just making bad chemistry jokes because all the good ones Argon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Char-)
    Awks.
    You're just making bad chemistry jokes because all the good ones Argon.
    Do you have 11 protons cos your sodium fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The mechanism is actually incorrect, and an A-Level oversimplification. The first Bromide attached would actually stabilise the adjacent electron deficient orbital, forming a bromonium bridge. The second bromide would then attack from the opposite side, breaking the bridge.

Name:  bromine 2.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  7.7 KB This is the ultra correct mechanism in case you're interested, ignore the thumbnails
    Attached Images

(Original post by LeonVII)
    The mechanism is actually incorrect, and an A-Level oversimplification. The first Bromide attached would actually stabilise the adjacent electron deficient orbital, forming a bromonium bridge. The second bromide would then attack from the opposite side, breaking the bridge.
    Yep, but it is an A-level thread in fairness :p:

That mechanism is also missing a few curly arrows :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)

That mechanism is also missing a curly arrow :ninja:
    Yeah, I know, but I certainly would have been interested to see the real mechanism at A-Level, to compare etc.

Yeah, I know, it was the best I could find in the time I had, I'll see if there's a better one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)

That mechanism is also missing a few curly arrows :ninja:

Yeah, I know, but I certainly would have been interested to see the real mechanism at A-Level, to compare etc.

Yeah, I know, it was the best I could find in the time I had, I'll see if there's a better one!
    I spent ages trying to work out what arrow was missing before I realised you were talking about the attachment not the embedded image. Silly me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    I spent ages trying to work out what arrow was missing before I realised you were talking about the attachment not the embedded image. Silly me.
    Haha yeah sorry, I don't seem to be able to delete the thumbnails!

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah sorry, I don't seem to be able to delete the thumbnails!
    Ha its funny. Here I am 3 days before finals start and I was wondering if I had really forgotten how bromination of an olefin works...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    Ha its funny. Here I am 3 days before finals start and I was wondering if I had really forgotten how bromination of an olefin works...
    Oh, so I take it that that's the correct mechanism and it won't be further destroyed a couple of years down the line?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 24, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.