Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In the AQA June 2012 Unit 5 paper, Question 5C asks to make comparisons between the two methods of estimating the radius of the nucleus - Rutherford scattering and diffraction scattering.

Include: Principles of each experiment
    Advantages/disadvantages of each
    Accuracy limitations

I understand Rutherford's experiment but I don't know how it can be used to estimate the radius of the nucleus. I know you can determine the closest approach by making the kinetic energy = potential energy but how do you find the radius of the nucleus.

Can someone also explain electron diffraction. I wasn't taught this and I don't understand the principles from the mark scheme.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Think of the physics of the interactions

Rutherford- how do alphas 'see' nuclei; also, what proportion of alphas undergo large deflections and how might that change if nuclei were large?

Electrons- they will interact with both nuclei and orbital electrons

Don't forget neutron diffraction too, unless electron diffraction was specifically required

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cora Lindsay)
    Think of the physics of the interactions

Rutherford- how do alphas 'see' nuclei; also, what proportion of alphas undergo large deflections and how might that change if nuclei were large?

Electrons- they will interact with both nuclei and orbital electrons

Don't forget neutron diffraction too, unless electron diffraction was specifically required
    Thanks for the response!

I understand the physics of the interactions during Rutherford's scattering (The particles are repelled due to an electrostatic force?)
    Do you mean that the experiment does not give a definite estimation (a value). It just determines if the nucleus is small or big. So nuclei with larger radii will cause more alpha particles undergo large deflections.

I don't understand electron scattering Do you have any resources to help

ReputationRep:
    bump

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.