Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trying to lose weight, have GAINED Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 175 cm /5"9 and 64 kg / 141 lbs and am trying to lose a bit of weight before summer. I thought since I have a good two months I could do a slow and steady weight loss of 1 lbs per week which is a deficit of 3500 calories.

I will pick up some more weight training closer to summer, but this past week I have only focused on my diet. I have cut alcohol completely, no takeout, no sweets, no prepared carbs at all. Usually I've had an eggwhite omelet with salat for breakfast, some low kcal youghurt with oats for lunch, one piece of either clean chicken filet or a piece of salmon with green vegetables and either a small cup of rice or wholewheat noodles (to get a small amount of carbs).

I'm weighing in today and I have GAINED 1 lbs. I am seriously so depressed. I feel like I'm getting old and that my body is not responding to my efforts at all.

People are warning against entering a "starvation mode" but I don't see any other possibility than eating absolutely minimal from now on. I will step up the cardio (I've been doing a few spin classes, now I will do them every day) and probably just have vegetable smoothies most of the day. I don't trust the calories listed on the back of foods.

What do people use to make SURE they are consuming less calories than they spend?

Edit: How on EARTH is this offensive or worth a neg? If you're so against it, please explain.

ReputationRep:
    I used to get frustrated with how little I seemed to lose weight by exercising, changing my diet etc., but since using MyFitnessPal to record everything that I eat and stick to their recommended daily amount of calories, I've lost an average of about a pound a week - a steady but healthy weight loss. Personally, I've definitely found recording what I eat using MFP more effective for weight loss than just obsessing over exactly what types of foods I eat. Then again, I was probably eating reasonably healthy foods as it was - I was probably just eating too many of them or not enough of particular types of foods on particular days.

ReputationRep:
    Either..

- You're eating more food than you think (do you calorie count?)
    - You're overestimating how much you burn during exercise.
    - Your hormones are fluctuating, leading to a little gain (ie I always gain between 2 and 4 pounds during my period, but this disappears as soon as it's over).

MyFitnessPal.com is an absolute lifesaver, and definitely worth signing up to if you can. You can track your food and exercise on there.

I would also comment on the fact that you probably don't need to lose weight at all. I am the same height as you and almost a stone heavier, and I look slim. So possibly the weight training you're wanting to do "closer to summer" would be better placed now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)
    I used to get frustrated with how little I seemed to lose weight by exercising, changing my diet etc., but since using MyFitnessPal to record everything that I eat and stick to their recommended daily amount of calories, I've lost an average of about a pound a week - a steady but healthy weight loss. Personally, I've definitely found recording what I eat using MFP more effective for weight loss than just obsessing over exactly what types of foods I eat. Then again, I was probably eating reasonably healthy foods as it was - I was probably just eating too many of them or not enough of particular types of foods on particular days.
    Pretty much this, record what you eat (be meticulous, don't guess your calorie intake because then you're going to get unreliable results and will not be able to find the source of the extra calories which is leading to your weight increase.)

ReputationRep:
    Seriously don't understand why people still focus so much on weight :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick1sHere)
    What do you not understand?

ReputationRep:
    Health, appearance, athleticism (for sport), crowdsurfing, cheap inter pacific island plane tickets etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Intriguing Alias)
    Health, appearance, athleticism (for sport), crowdsurfing, cheap inter pacific island plane tickets etc.
    I'm sure the first thing people think about when seeing their weight is crowd surfing :rolleyes:

You also said health + appearance but weight isn't the perfect measurement that means everything. Does being 90kg at 6'1 automatically mean I'm overweight? Nahh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Either..

- You're eating more food than you think (do you calorie count?)
    - You're overestimating how much you burn during exercise.
    - Your hormones are fluctuating, leading to a little gain (ie I always gain between 2 and 4 pounds during my period, but this disappears as soon as it's over).

MyFitnessPal.com is an absolute lifesaver, and definitely worth signing up to if you can. You can track your food and exercise on there.

I would also comment on the fact that you probably don't need to lose weight at all. I am the same height as you and almost a stone heavier, and I look slim. So possibly the weight training you're wanting to do "closer to summer" would be better placed now!
    I haven't really planned exercise so much into it, I mean I have been to the gym a few times but don't know how much I burned there. I thought my diet was so healthy I'd be in deficit anyway.
    My days haven't been so active as I'm in a job searching mode, it's just been a few errands during the day but a lot of passive time too.

I signed up for FitnessPal so make sure I'm within 1300 kcals today.

I don't need to lose weight for health reasons but I'm used to being at a slightly lower weight and am unhappy with my hips/thighs atm.

ReputationRep:
    As 1lb is a small amount of weight i'ts most likely water weight.

I suggest you pick an amount say for instance 2 liters and make sure you drink it everyday and your weight shouldn't fluctuate that much. Doesn't matter what amount you pick but make sure your consistent with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)
    Yeah I think it is the same for me. I eat very healthy (always cook my own food) and eat no "unhealthy" foods, but in total, there are a lot of calories from stuff like bananas and avocados. There is also a bit of sugar in red onions, my favourite accessory to salads

I just wonder though, how long until you went back to drinking some alcohol? I know that alcohol slows down the process of losing weight, but whether it's okay to have some dry white wine, say, once a week, if it's calculated in among the allowed calories? Or if it does too much damage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)
    Yeah I think it is the same for me. I eat very healthy (always cook my own food) and eat no "unhealthy" foods, but in total, there are a lot of calories from stuff like bananas and avocados. There is also a bit of sugar in red onions, my favourite accessory to salads

I just wonder though, how long until you went back to drinking some alcohol? I know that alcohol slows down the process of losing weight, but whether it's okay to have some dry white wine, say, once a week, if it's calculated in among the allowed calories? Or if it does too much damage.
    I've managed to lose just under 20 kg over 10 months (85.6 > 67.5) - with interval training on the treadmill, or the park near my house if the weather's forgiving enough...interval training seems to have helped because when I was just doing long, 40 minute bouts of low intensity cardio on the treadmill I was getting nowhere - my weight was stuck at around 81-80 kilos, despite completely cutting out the crap that made me fat...If you can try and do 30 minute sessions of interval training, e.g. 15x2 minute blocks -> 1 minute running/sprinting and 1 minute resting, I think you'll see a big difference...

The key is the metabolism boost - when you're doing low intensity cardio your body doesn't burn calories beyond what you've done in that session...but with interval training your body actually burns calories in the background afterwards! That's where the weight loss was for me.

I'm still at 67.5 and I'm about to try out the Insanity workout; I tried it once before and it flopped, because I had some ****ty tile floors that are a nightmare to work out on!

Anyways, try out what I've mentioned and see if you get anywhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss_s95)
    I've managed to lose just under 20 kg over 10 months (85.6 > 67.5) - with interval training on the treadmill, or the park near my house if the weather's forgiving enough...interval training seems to have helped because when I was just doing long, 40 minute bouts of low intensity cardio on the treadmill I was getting nowhere - my weight was stuck at around 81-80 kilos, despite completely cutting out the crap that made me fat...If you can try and do 30 minute sessions of interval training, e.g. 15x2 minute blocks -> 1 minute running/sprinting and 1 minute resting, I think you'll see a big difference...

The key is the metabolism boost - when you're doing low intensity cardio your body doesn't burn calories beyond what you've done in that session...but with interval training your body actually burns calories in the background afterwards! That's where the weight loss was for me.

I'm still at 67.5 and I'm about to try out the Insanity workout; I tried it once before and it flopped, because I had some ****ty tile floors that are a nightmare to work out on!

Anyways, try out what I've mentioned and see if you get anywhere
    If you're a guy then surely there is no need to go below 67.5 kilos?

ReputationRep:
    If you're a guy then surely there is no need to go below 67.5 kilos?
    Weight's no longer the issue for me - just trying to shape up even more now

ReputationRep:
    As long as alcohol is drunk in moderation and is included among the allowed calories, I don't see why it could hamper weight loss efforts much. Then again, I can't say that I'm an expert about the effects of alcohol. Personally, I rarely drink alcohol, but if I did drink it more often, I would just try to record it on MyFitnessPal, like I would with anything else I would eat and drink.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the first thing people think about when seeing their weight is crowd surfing :rolleyes:

You also said health + appearance but weight isn't the perfect measurement that means everything. Does being 90kg at 6'1 automatically mean I'm overweight? Nahh
    Exactly! (same weight and height here, too!)

Weight does not mean everything. It's about what you see in the mirror. You could be muscular and pretty definite at the above measurements, but the scales say 90KG. Does that mean you're in bad shape or overweight? Of course not.

Do not get disheartened by the scales!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps it could be something to do with your metabolism?

ReputationRep:

Well I thought it was assumed by 'lose weight' the intention was losing fat. And if she's not doing weight training she won't be putting on much/any muscle and so she must have gained weight in the form of fat.

And the crowd surfing and plane tickets part were obviously a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Intriguing Alias)
    Well I thought it was assumed by 'lose weight' the intention was losing fat. And if she's not doing weight training she won't be putting on much/any muscle and so she must have gained weight in the form of fat.

And the crowd surfing and plane tickets part were obviously a joke.

I cba to get into an argument about it. My main point was that what the scales say isn't always the huge deal people make it out to be.

ReputationRep:
    The main point here is that you have changed things up for one week and then taken two weight measurements and have then assumed that the difference accurately reflects a change in body composition.

This is the main flaw.

Most people's bodyweight will fluctuate a couple of pounds or more throughout the day. Track your progress over a longer period of time and maybe take measurements (e.g. waist or hips) and compare those too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.