Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, for OCR Maths A Level I have completed C1 and S1, currently completing M1 and C2 and will be doing C3 and C4 next year.

For OCR Further Maths A Level I have completed FP1, currently completing S2 and M2 and will be doing FP2, FP3 and one other module next year.

I am struggling to decide which module to choose, bearing in mind I am currently struggling with M2, yet the Mechanics modules are deemed to have higher reputation with the top Universities such as Oxbridge. I am just wondering if anyone has studied both M3 and S3 and could give me an overview/comparison and how they contrast with their respective previous modules.

I could also possibly study D1, but apparently it is very boring and to some extent irrelevant, especially as I am not interested in Computer Science. What do you guys think about this? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    S3 is meant to be easier if you know your stuff. M3 is meant to have hard questions but its easy to pick up some method marks. Plus in S3 there is only 5 chapters, the first chapter is easy, so there is only really 4. Our school made us do S3 instead of M3 as the teachers all agreed it was easier. If your struggling with M2 id definately go with S3 instead. PS check out grade boundaries for exams aswell I cba.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I think S3 is meant to be slightly more memorising stuff and less understanding, but to get the top marks you still need to know what you're doing! I doubt the top unis will care too much which you pick - Both me and a friend got into Cambridge, I do M3 and she does S3. May depend on the subject though - I applied for Physical Natural Sciences and she chose Economics, S3 is probably more linked to Economics than M3... I've met some people on my course who didn't do further maths at all though, so wouldn't have either.
    I would advise you to pick the one you find easiest. However, I would say that there is not really much difference in difficulty between M3 and even M1, not sure about stats though.
    D1's really boring, don't do it. Loads of memorising methods of doing things and you have to present your work in a specific way to get any marks, they're really picky.
    What are you planning on doing at uni? If it's anything physics based, M3 will definitely be useful. Not too sure what S3 would be useful for other than economics/ statistics/ possibly other finance-y stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dragonkeeper999)
    I think S3 is meant to be slightly more memorising stuff and less understanding, but to get the top marks you still need to know what you're doing! I doubt the top unis will care too much which you pick - Both me and a friend got into Cambridge, I do M3 and she does S3. May depend on the subject though - I applied for Physical Natural Sciences and she chose Economics, S3 is probably more linked to Economics than M3... I've met some people on my course who didn't do further maths at all though, so wouldn't have either.
    I would advise you to pick the one you find easiest. However, I would say that there is not really much difference in difficulty between M3 and even M1, not sure about stats though.
    D1's really boring, don't do it. Loads of memorising methods of doing things and you have to present your work in a specific way to get any marks, they're really picky.
    What are you planning on doing at uni? If it's anything physics based, M3 will definitely be useful. Not too sure what S3 would be useful for other than economics/ statistics/ possibly other finance-y stuff?
    Yes thankyou for your help, and I probably will be looking into more of the finance-y/statistics side of maths rather than physics aspects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.