The Student Room Group

Are these A-levels good if I want to study within the field of Law or Journalism?

Hello, I have been offered a place at a sixth form college for September to study for my A-levels. I'm actually going to be a year older than the AS students as I left my old college due to falling behind as a result of an eating disorder (i'm recovered now woo!) and choosing the wrong a levels.

I was studying History, English Combined, Philosophy and Religion and Psychology at Winstanley College. At the time, I felt very overloaded with these and all of the exams were within a space of a week in January, there was to be fair a tremendous amount of pressure.

I achieved well at GCSE despite missing 2 months of the academic year (once again due to my illness).
I managed to get A*A* (RE & History) A A A A (English Lit, Psychology, Science Dual Award) B B B (Maths, English Language, Geography)

I enjoy essay writing however my major downfall is my time management, It often takes me 4-5 hrs to produce one essay at a grade A standard. I want a mixture of subjects, so for September ive limited my choices to:

History (Definite)
English Combined (Definite)
Sociology (Definite)

Biology (Not too sure - again, i've heard its a hard and time consuming a level)
Applied Business (It's 50% coursework so that appeals a lot!)
Media Studies (Compliments English, seems like something i'd enjoy a lot, a "softer" a level)
ICT (I enjoyed it prior to my GCSE's)

So the big question is, which should I take out of my 4 choices i'm considering?

Thanks!
I would say go for biology. I do it, and I love it. To me it's fascinating. Fair enough there are boring parts (how to sample grass... Yawn.) but it is a good traditional subject!
Reply 2
Original post by IsabellaOseni22
x

Well done for beating your ED :woo: !

You're already doing Sociology, which is considered a 'soft' subject. With your GCSEs I'm assuming you'll be applying for Russell Group universities, so if I were you, I'd go for Biology. Like the above poster already said, it's a good traditional subject. You could drop it after AS - plus it's just a straightforward exam :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest